The outdoor drinking season is underway

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Messenger
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

The outdoor drinking season is underway

Post by Messenger »

It took a while to arrive in anything other than sporadic and brief moments, but for a good week now, and hopefully for the next few months, the outdoor drinking has been going full swing.

Usually not in bars, as most outdoor places around here (and there's precious few) tend to be filled with douchebags with no sense of proper bar etiquitte. Mostly myself, and my usual crowd, tend to sit in the Square, in the middle of downtown. Since drinking in public is theoretically illegal, I'll refrain from mentioning which square, but will say it's the one with the statue of Robert Burns. The police seem to have accepted that as long as there's no trouble and no mess, they're willing to leave us alone.

Generally, the first beer is purchased around the time people start getting done with work, about 5PM, and is generally Schlitz from the Yellow Store in Chinatown. 12-packs (usually called "lumps", which I think is a term exclusive to bike messengers) of Schlitz cost about $8, and whoever picks it up sells them for $1 apiece, leading to (if it's me) a $2 profit and two free beers per lump. If people haven't moved to the bar by 8PM, when the Yellow Store closes, we'll often switch to 15-packs of Black Label from some liquor store in the other direction.

Other than the beer, there's always weed floating around for those interested, and usually a circle of people playing hackey sack. It's a good game, as it leaves your hands free for beer. The parking garage across the street has a bathroom that's available, and there's the free entertainment of the random bums and freaks passing through, as well as the cars that get confused by several one way streets intersecting, and one small stretch of two-way street that the city never bothered to put a yellow line down the middle of. There's an ancient Chinese woman that comes through periodically to collect all the cans for their redemption value.

So that's what I've got to look forward to all summer long. Well, that and anywhere else I might choose to drink. If you don't hear much from me, well, that's probably because I go straight from work to the Square to the bar fairly often, and I'm not one of those people with internet access at work (for some strange reason).
"Well, good times come and good times go. I only wish the good times would last a little longer."

massivedrunk

Post by massivedrunk »

We use different parks, but a similar idea. Also for whatever reason no cop knows that Sparks is an alcoholic beverage.
Still just figuring it all out. Still not really figuring it out.

thirsty4beer
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by thirsty4beer »

sorry, but what is 'sparks'?
mine's a pint

thirsty4beer
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by thirsty4beer »

oh yeah, messenger, i envy you
mine's a pint

Leftboston
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Post by Leftboston »

I think think Schlitz is pretty cool. You can still see the occasionl schlitz sign on old bars and packies in Boston.

Ranger6
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Ranger6 »

God bless outdoor drinking.
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough Without ever having felt sorry for itself

Combat Rock
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Combat Rock »

Sparks is trouble. It's an alcoholic energy drink that tastes like McDonalds orange pop. There's a house in town that has shows and sells sparks. Many fights break out. Many fights. Last time I missed getting a bottle in the face by about 1 inch, and saw a man dragged out of his car and beaten while his car was being destroyed. He was the one that threw the bottle at me, though, so I didn't care.

My outdoor drinking usually involves a "big gulp" pop from circle k, with half of it poured out and whiskey in its place. At least that's the case in public outdoor drinking. I just got plastered in a park that is litteraly between a police HQ and a battered women's shelter. It was a little rough walking by the cop shop on my way home, though.
"Oops there goes another year - there goes another pint of beer."
"I drank one and it turned to four. On the floor and I drank more. Now I'm never seeing you again!"

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: The outdoor drinking season is underway

Post by coqui_chris »

Messenger wrote:and usually a circle of people playing hackey sack. It's a good game, as it leaves your hands free for beer.
Hackey sack is an awful gateway game that can lead to further evils, such as public acoustic-guitar playing and singalongs, African drums, and Ultimate Frisbee.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Lifer
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Lifer »

coqui_chris wrote:
Messenger wrote:and usually a circle of people playing hackey sack. It's a good game, as it leaves your hands free for beer.
Hackey sack is an awful gateway game that can lead to further evils, such as public acoustic-guitar playing and singalongs, African drums, and Ultimate Frisbee.
Welcome to University (yes i play hackey sack, own three acoustic guitars and sing. BUt i do NOT have african drums and i believe Ultimate Frisbee to be gayer than liberachi.)
Bundy wrote:"I say Rooster old bean! sally forth with another pair of pink gins for these jolly lovely gels and we'll see if they arent up for a spot of rumpy pumpy before we have to dash off and give Jerry another sound thrashing, what? Tally ho!"

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Lifer wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:
Welcome to University (yes i play hackey sack, own three acoustic guitars and sing. BUt i do NOT have african drums and i believe Ultimate Frisbee to be gayer than liberachi.)
Welcome? Sorry, dude, I just got done with it, and I'm never going back. Unless its to hang out with friends still there, drinking beers outdoors and watching all the girls walk by when its warm out. I always said college would've been a cool place if it wasn't for the classes and assignments and the tuition.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

coqui_chris wrote:
Hackey sack ... can lead to further evils, such as public acoustic-guitar playing and singalongs, African drums, and Ultimate Frisbee.
One of these things is not like the others.
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

Lifer
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Lifer »

whiskeyprick wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:
Hackey sack ... can lead to further evils, such as public acoustic-guitar playing and singalongs, African drums, and Ultimate Frisbee.
One of these things is not like the others.

no the African Drums really do go along with it all.

Hippies love em.

Dirty filthy hippies.
Bundy wrote:"I say Rooster old bean! sally forth with another pair of pink gins for these jolly lovely gels and we'll see if they arent up for a spot of rumpy pumpy before we have to dash off and give Jerry another sound thrashing, what? Tally ho!"

Messenger
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Messenger »

Yeah, years ago I was skeptical of the hackey sack thing, but this is a circle of people who understand working damn hard for a living, and do so every goddam day. Plus, almost everyone tends to have a beer in hand at the time, So, we're not the usual hackey sack losers.
"Well, good times come and good times go. I only wish the good times would last a little longer."

Minx
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Minx »

Messenger wrote:Yeah, years ago I was skeptical of the hackey sack thing, but this is a circle of people who understand working damn hard for a living, and do so every goddam day. Plus, almost everyone tends to have a beer in hand at the time, So, we're not the usual hackey sack losers.

yah fucking whatever, you fucking hippy.
If you're drunk, smoke whatever. whatever the fuck you believe in. but comeon... hackysac\k? Stone. Er.
Saving my money for unicorn rides, and beer.

Combat Rock
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Combat Rock »

I woke up in a parkinglot this morning. Luckily the lot was for my apartment building. The firemen I live behind were laughing their asses off. Summer is keen.
"Oops there goes another year - there goes another pint of beer."
"I drank one and it turned to four. On the floor and I drank more. Now I'm never seeing you again!"