Canada, Toronto. Where to buy whiskey?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Count Silvio
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Canada, Toronto. Where to buy whiskey?

Post by Count Silvio »

A contact of mine is leaving to Toronto tomorrow and I would like to know what are some good liquor shops in Toronto that sell fine whiskey and or rum. I'd also like to have some whiskey recommendations. Recommended whiskeys do not necessarily have to be Canadian whiskey. Also if you know the price that would be nice to know as well.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Canada, Toronto. Where to buy whiskey?

Post by peetie44 »

One of our Canuck brethren can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe the provincial Liquor Control Board of Ontario state-run stores are your only source of hard alchohol. There used to be some specialty wine shops (I remember one near my old house, on Coxwell Ave, near lower Gerrard St).

For beer, it's the state-controlled (I shit you not), "The Beer Store" (formerly Brewer's Retail).

As I recall, the L.C.B.O always had a good selection of scotch and Canadian rye (the only good rye). Bourbon will be Beam, TJD and...?
Last edited by peetie44 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Count Silvio
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Count Silvio »

Ahh, I remembered there was some sort of government alcohol monopoly, just like over here. Thanks for this info.
Do you happen to know if Glenfiddich 21 year old Caribbean Rum Finish is available there? Or the Glenfiddich 18 Year Ancient Reserve?

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Count Silvio wrote:Ahh, I remembered there was some sort of government alcohol monopoly, just like over here. Thanks for this info.
Do you happen to know if Glenfiddich 21 year old Caribbean Rum Finish is available there? Or the Glenfiddich 18 Year Ancient Reserve?
CS,

I haven't lived in T.O. since '93 or visited the city since @2000, so I'm not sure. Maybe Labatt_50 (I believe? he's in Ontario) can give you an up-date on what's available/prices. GreatWhiteNortherner's out west (Calgary, I think?). I'm not sure where KaosDad lives, but I think he's out west as well. Each province has it's own liquor laws.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

Count Silvio
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Count Silvio »

The LCBO shop seems to have a very nice selection if whiskies and some quality rums as well.

I'm planning on getting three bottles:

Appleton Estate Masterblenders Legacy = 86 CAD, 54 euros
Johnnie Walker Green Label = 56 CAD, 35 euros
Glenfiddich 15 Year Old = 59 CAD, 37 euros

There is a pretty big booze list on their website: http://www.lcbo.com/main/en.shtml . If you know anything that is better than Glenfiddich or Green Label but around the same price, let me know. Thanks for the help guys.

Labatt_50
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Labatt_50 »

Yeah as Peetie pointed out, the LCBO is the only game in town. Their website is pretty good though, they'll even tell you what is at each store and how many bottles they have there. If you ever need to know the location of a liquor or beer store in Ontario try this http://www.beerhunter.ca/ As far as your booze selection, can't argue with that. I'd reccomend a bottle of Alberta Premium though, its only 22 bucks for the 26 and it's far better than most Canadian whisky. (to people who don't neccesarily like it)

Illiniwek
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Illiniwek »

peetie44 wrote: Coxwell Ave,
Dude, ... he he ... you lived on cock swell ... he he

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Illiniwek wrote:
peetie44 wrote: Coxwell Ave,
Dude, ... he he ... you lived on cock swell ... he he
I also lived on "Wood"bine Ave, also in the East End of T.O.

(He said wood, heh-heh)

the green fairy
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by the green fairy »

the lcbo has an awesome selection of whiskeys and such. i know they carry makers for about 45 bucks, i think that's the price.
it's all on the website. and the website is awesome cause i believe it will tell you which stores stock which alcohols
sometimes I think it's a shame, when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain - Gordon Lightfoot

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

If you are in Toronto, the best place to buy package liquor is Michigan.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Booz Hound
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Booz Hound »

There is a place right across form the Grand Duke hotel that’s awesome, as for what to drink Crown Royal and Molson Canadian or Labatt Blue. Drink a bunch of any of those and the hit up the Hockey Hall of Fame, it is badass. My favorite is where you’re the goalie and the Rocket’s shooting foam pucks at you.
Fear the Man, kill the snitch. Just remember life's a bitch.
- Motorhead

Oh nooo, my brain!
- Hans Moleman

timbrownley
Tippler
Tippler

Post by timbrownley »

See if you can find Appleton Estate 21. A little bit pricey, but worth it IMO.

oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by oldsmartskunk »

Buying booze is an issue??????? Seriously? I guess in some way i live in a decent place.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Frankennietzsche wrote:If you are in Toronto, the best place to buy package liquor is Michigan.
If I were in Toronto 8 years ago and had read this thread, I would have taken your advice.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Maj
Souse
Souse

Post by Maj »

You buy whiskey at the Lick Bo. Where else would you buy it? Come by my house and I'll give you a drink on it.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.