Homemade Vodka Infusions

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

zimne_piwo
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Homemade Vodka Infusions

Post by zimne_piwo »

I've been working on infusions for the last couple of years and have come up with a couple that are really easy to do and taste great. One that my girlfriend likes is black cherry vodka + vanilla vodka + coca-cola. It's pretty damn good.

I've got a couple that just finished off tonight so they're on cold storage until it's time. One is a lemon/lime infusion. I peeled off the peel and cut up the lemon and limes into slices, soaked them in vodka, and used a food sealer vacuum pump to put a little pressure on them. It's got a nice bitter taste that goes very nicely with gin or tonic or both.

Any of you make infusions?

thirsty4beer
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: Homemade Vodka Infusions

Post by thirsty4beer »

i have create d a chilli vodka in the past. stab a few bird-eye chillis(they are wee so will just go in the vodka bottle), put in voddie bottle and leave for a while. it is great for Bloody Marys, yumm
mine's a pint

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Never tried it myself, but skittles vodka is a growing trend in the UK right now.

http://mixthatdrink.com/skittles-vodka-tutorial/

thirsty4beer
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by thirsty4beer »

i have made skittles vodka before. it is good but only if you make/store it in a glass bottle. i made some and kept it in a big plastic bottle(cos i got greedy and wanted to make a lot of it). dunno the chemical process but the bottle went all warped out of shape and the vodka went not good. i was ill that night. ill but drunk.
mine's a pint

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

Wow, always rely on the UK to come of with the fruitiest bullshit. Now I like a flavored vodka just as much as the next person, but skittles vodka? Why must everything taste like candy over there for it to be popular?
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Zippy
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Zippy »

Chili vodka is good but I've found the secondaries to be dangerous.
It's always a good day to get ripped!

thirsty4beer
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by thirsty4beer »

Resident Asshole wrote: Why must everything taste like candy over there for it to be popular?
this from a country with excess sugar in everything...

and just cos someone says something is popular somewhere(who doesnt live in said place) doesnt make it so.

have you never heard of a drink and then tried it to see what its like? What a boring world you must live in R. A.
mine's a pint

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Resident Asshole wrote:Wow, always rely on the UK to come of with the fruitiest bullshit. Now I like a flavored vodka just as much as the next person, but skittles vodka? Why must everything taste like candy over there for it to be popular?
You mean the country that invented stout and bitter? Cos they are so sweet....
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

I used to make a combination habanero and dill vodak. It was powerfully hot, but made damn fine bloody marys.
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

captain gonzo wrote:
Resident Asshole wrote:Wow, always rely on the UK to come of with the fruitiest bullshit. Now I like a flavored vodka just as much as the next person, but skittles vodka? Why must everything taste like candy over there for it to be popular?
What' the current trend of popular drinks in the UK? It sure as hell isn't stout.

And whoever made the comment about the US putting excess sugar in things...if you are talking food then that's a whole different ballgame, but the Red Bull headquarters are in fucking London and Red Bull is the one that started this whole Jagerbomb/energy drink bullshit in the US.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

gnarkill
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by gnarkill »

I've seen many bacon infused vodkas popping up recently, so I tried it out for myself. I liquified some bacon fat in a pan, added it to some shitty vodka, then scooped out the fat that rendered at the top when it cooled. after letting that sit for a few days, I ran the concoction through some cheesecloth.

The only reason I tried this was because I wanted to make the heartiest bloody I possibly could. While just infusing the vodka w bacon does indeed make a delicious bloody, I tinkered w the recipe, and have decided that adding some jalapenos or other hot peppers to the infusion really seals the deal.

Another good one I came up with was infusing raw ginger into shitty gin. It can turn gross rotgut gin into dynamite with minimal effort.
IN VINO VERITAS

Hardcore Stig
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Hardcore Stig »

Careful now, the UK created Vodka and mass processed Gin to the point it was our national drink, you guys made Zima lol.

Seriously though it's to aid young drinkers, not in drinking but in putting on pretty shows when they throw up all those pretty colours after buzzing on all those E numbers.
"That's only a problem if you stop drinking"

"Nationality? I'm a drunkard, and that makes me a man of the world"

"The word "pub" should never need to be followed by the word "why""

Hardcore Stig

Post by Hardcore Stig »

Resident Asshole wrote:
captain gonzo wrote:
What' the current trend of popular drinks in the UK? It sure as hell isn't stout.

And whoever made the comment about the US putting excess sugar in things...if you are talking food then that's a whole different ballgame, but the Red Bull headquarters are in fucking London and Red Bull is the one that started this whole Jagerbomb/energy drink bullshit in the US.
We went through an alcopop faze about 10 years back, moved into a vodka phase and then onto a Rum phase, I believe gin is making a strong movement right now. What is dying a long awaited death is alco pops, no Mikes Hard lemonade equivalents. Down to 4 brands pretty much, VH a mass produced 2.5% fruit joiuce in a beer bottle that seels at a fraction of the cost of real booze, Smirnoff Ice is still hanging on there although it is a very different beast to the US version, more like vodka and lemeon that the sweetened version over the pond, Barcardi Breezer, basically Barcaddi and fruit juice for the ladies as it's sold as low calorie booze and finally Red square, a mix of vodka sugar taurine and caffine. If you can find it, Red Square extra is a 10 shot bottle with the caffine etc of 4 cans of redbull and it's a nice 20%

So our sweet drinks are dying, our spirits have dominated the market for the last 8 years and the newest thing, if anything is cider which wins points on averaging an extra 1%ABV on most lagers,
"That's only a problem if you stop drinking"

"Nationality? I'm a drunkard, and that makes me a man of the world"

"The word "pub" should never need to be followed by the word "why""

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Resident Asshole wrote:
captain gonzo wrote:

Depends entirely on where you live, who you associate with and even what job you have and how old you are. Most people I know drink lager, which I think is girly as hell anyway. But everyone I drink with likes whiskey, guiness, gin, rum, brandy and wine....at worst they drink a vodka and coke. Only teenagers drink the sweet stuff...alcopops and vodka red bull is marketed half at people who arent even supposed to be drinking in the first place although they'd never admit it.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!