A Drunkard's short guide to Tea and Boozing

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

A Drunkard's short guide to Tea and Boozing

Post by Badfellow »

Tea.

Despite other opinions, I like to think that tea and booze are good friends with a relationship capable of transcending all the fascist propaganda perpetuated by the vile, myopic drys and their raised pinkie ways. Let no Drunkard speak ill of tea where a shot can be spilled into the cup or had alongside (unless, of course, if you really, really don't like tea, in which case you may suffer from a deeply seeded psychosis or possibly acute Liptonitis).

Here then, I offer a short guide to a beverage you may know little or nothing about given the fact it contains no alcohol. While not quite the expert like the Yoda looking guy that owns a shop over in Highland Park, I do know a thing or two about the leaf which I would be happy to share. Alright, let's break this motherfucker down...

*Green tea is a tricky companion to liquor unless it's been dosed with so much fruit flavor that you can't taste the tea itself anymore. A green has the same astringency and tannins as a black, but it is obviously a much lighter tea in character. This can lead to awkward flavor scenarios that are only amplified by that universal “catalyst of the palate” we know as alcohol. A chilled shot of neutral spirits such as vodka is, of course, safe with almost anything. I've gotten some really nice hits before between a cup of sencha and a martini. Green tea and gin might make for some interesting compatibility, but I cannot stress enough, proceed into those waters slowly and with great caution! Some more popular greens include sencha, matcha (powdered), jade cloud and jasmine. The Japanese are known for producing the primo shit.

*White tea is a very subtle, very expensive cup which I will only cover briefly. It is a top grade generally harvested from only the new budding tips of the bush. In my semi-humble opinion, I feel most white tea is better left to connoisseurs who have more disposable income than they do taste.

*Black teas are generally robust, earthy and full-bodied. The obvious pairings will be with your favored ambers such as dark rum, Bourbon, Irish and rye whiskey. When brewed strongly, the stimulatory effect also makes a nice addition to punch bowls and other communally imbibed cocktails. Varieties of black tea include: Assam, Ceylonese, Keemun and Earl Grey as well as many of the “Breakfast Blends” that are well known in the English tea drinking tradition.

*In a hybrid situation such as Darjeeling, the best pairing is a brandy, cognac, grappa or pisco that will compliment the grape and champagne flavors found in “muscatel” harvests. It almost seems like the two were made for each other. “I like that fucking Darjeeling,” - Al Swearengen

*Oolong is a unique class of tea originating from Taiwan, personally some of my favorites. The curing process of the leaves involves actual fermentation which produces an array of complex and delicious chemical reactions. In fact, a number of compounds found in varieties of Oolong are the very same which give barrel-aged spirits their flavorful allure. Iron Goddess of Mercy is my favorite tea running right now (I won't insult this tea by even attempting to describe it). A hot cup next to a lowball of Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 straight-up is about as good as life can be expected to get. Ever.

Fruit teas, herbals, rooibus, yerba maté and the like are all their own unexplored countries certainly worthy of your expeditionary efforts. I can tell you damn straight that Sailor Jerry mixed with unsweetened peach iced tea makes a good cooler, and believe me that season is coming soon.

Good drinking, my fellow Drunkards.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: A Drunkard's short guide to Tea and Boozing

Post by Mr. Viking »

My main use for tea is to alleviate hangovers. it is a great way to get some water in just before bed and a pot or two in the morning tends to brighten my day. It's softer on the senses than coffee and oh so refreshing.
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

There are quite a few threads about tea and booze, as a quick use of the in-house search will tell you (it's at the top, right-hand side of your screen (unless you are lying down) and is invaluable for research).
Click here for a post that I made on the suitability of various teas for mixers, and click here for some delicious recipes for drinks involving teas, from the indomitable Oggar.
Enjoy.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

I can never find shit using the search feature. Thanks for the links.

Black tea and whiskey is pretty much my cup. Getting drunk and wired at the same time also certainly has its advantages.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I often smoked black tea while being drunk
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Quite eloquent. I do, indeed suffer from "liptonitis," apparently. I will heed, but save the white tea for those who also can distinguish between a $30 bottle of Kendall Jackson and the $120 one.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

And
Makes times worth remembering and worth regretting
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Well with my recent foray into the Gin department, I may have to pick up some green tea and honey mixes. I had been thinking along those line when I went with the Gin. My suspicions seemed to have been confirmed. I'll report back my findings both here and my thread.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

What mixes well with pine?

I keep seeing "tonic" but I think it might not be seltzer water nor ginger ale (the Dry version).

I do enjoy black licorise

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

mistah willies wrote:What mixes well with pine?

I keep seeing "tonic" but I think it might not be seltzer water nor ginger ale (the Dry version).

It's like a riddle... but the answer is Ouzo and the question is what?

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

At times like this, one must ask oneself, "What would Piccard drink?"
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Well, I can Gorn Tea what Kirk would drink.
Last edited by Badfellow on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

The local brand of Green Tea with Honey and Ginseng paired with the Gin superbly. It was quite refreshing and would make a great summer evening libation. Highly recommended.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Badfellow wrote:
mistah willies wrote:What mixes well with pine?

It's like a riddle... but the answer is Ouzo and the question is what?
I've yet to try out Ouzo with gin, but count me in. GIn is much more than pine.

Well met, gin. Does it hide upon the exhalation as we are supposed to believe that vodak does (and actually doesn't)?