best time for...

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

best time for...

Post by Merchant Seaman »

a first drink, 6AMish, noonish, or eveningish?

They're all good in a way, there's a special energy in a bar at 6AM, an odd assortment of failed poets, the pretty ladies pouring sugar into their cokes, while they sweat, lumpers, cab drivers, seafarers, longies, travelers, tweekers, all types.

Around noon, the busted and broke mix with tradesmen, would be writers, aspiring what-have-you's

from 1600-1800, the on their way home from work crowd, blurring into the dinner crowd, and yes, the dinner crowd, having a meal, and then heading off to a show, who in turn blur into the night crew, those that will hang or hop, till 2AM.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: best time for...

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Normally I would say the earlier the better, but of course it really depends on the day and where I'm at.

I'm all about drinks super early if I just want to chill at home and enjoy the day in comfort, getting a slow buzz on, most likely a BBQ, and most definitely planning a nap in my future. But if we're talking about going out to get my drink on, it would be more like 9 or 10 a.m. and would start out with Bloody Mary's and/or oyster shooters with a shrimp cocktail and hopefully some sort of outdoor ambiance with a view or seaside. Maybe after several drinks have an eggs Benedict or something brunchy that I don't have often and all preferably with a drinking companion.

If I went out midday, I like drinks in a neighborhood dark and air conditioned pub with very few people. Escaping the heat and savoring the quiet and darkness while the rest of the world is working, all the while having pleasant conversations and drink after drink with a fellow drunkard.

The more casual side to that would be ​a cooler full of beer at a beach or in nature somewhere, also with a companion. If I'm gonna drink alone, I may as well stay home in my daytime PJ's. I can go sit on a lawn chair in my own garden listening to music and be fine with that. I've done the whole drinking alone in nature and I'm okay with it, but I prefer the stimuli from human interaction.

In the evenings, it's nice to have a corner table to people watch in a gastropub and/or again, outside seating. Kick it up with some martini's or Long Island Ice Teas or some unique concoction on the specialty drink menu. Definitely after a few cocktails, hit up the appetizer menu because I like some absorption after a while. Badfellow turned me on to cheese curds and I wondered where those had been all my life but I'd be down with pretty much anything. I think once you are at an establishment with a buzz on, some bar food is essential. It's part of the whole experience for me.

Basically, I'm down with drinkin' any ol' time so count me in!

Okole maluna!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

yeah the earlier the better is normaly the case...i mean how great is that feeling when you think its like 8pm and you look at your watch and its 13.15 or some shit...all cause you started hoochin early.

Fuck eating brunch though AD....a handful of pork scratching and some dry roasted nuts will sort you till its time for the 3am kebab.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

DrunkinEurope
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by DrunkinEurope »

Early drinking is always great. My usual breakfast is some coffee and juice fortified with either vodka or gin (depending on whether I care about the scent of booze). It kills the hangover and gets me in a more friendly mood, gifting me the ability to stand other people, even the obnoxious ones. And there's no better place like a small, dark bar early in the morning, where the bartender is hungover and no one is there to talk to you.
But, when things are such that early drinking has to be off the table, having the first drink in the evening can also be a glorious occasion.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

During the week sometime within the first 10 minutes of getting home from hell is a good time to start. On the weekend sometime after breakfast works well. Although a cold beer or bourbon coffee while cooking breakfast has it's time and place.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

On the weekends I`ll always have a couple of cocktails before even thinking about food. This weekend I woke up very early each morning. That meant first drink at 8 a.m. hammered beyond repair by 8 p.m.
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Morning happy hour.

Some years ago, I lived a few blocks from a bar that ran a regular morning happy hour from 6:00-8:00 AM every day. It was mostly for the third shift workers from the nearby industrial bakery and a metal fabricating plant. You know, thirsty, blue collar folks knocking back whiskey and pint specials. But you’d also get an interesting mix of freaks and tweeks in with the sunrise drinking crowd. As the Merch says, it was a special energy.

I always enjoyed looking out onto the street at the morning rush hour, all those people throwing themselves grudgingly into the cogs of their daily routine while I sat getting drunk over a nice, greasy breakfast. Perhaps it was schadenfreude on my part. Then again, we all make our own choices.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

I like to start drinking a few hours after waking up. If I start right away, it feels too abrasive on the body, especially if I've drank the day before.

But I also don't like waiting too long. So, typically 2-3 hours after waking up is my sweet spot.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Nausea wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:11 am
I like to start drinking a few hours after waking up. If I start right away, it feels too abrasive on the body, especially if I've drank the day before.

But I also don't like waiting too long. So, typically 2-3 hours after waking up is my sweet spot.
That`s why you were so hesitant with those vodka cocktails for breakfast in our room in vegas

And we thought you were sick or something...
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Now would be a wonderful time for half a dozen cold beers.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

scream ale wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:27 pm
Now would be a wonderful time for half a dozen cold beers.
That sounds like missing out on the other half
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

You can never miss with a six pack

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

scream ale wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:06 pm
Come graze your fingers along my six pack.
No thank you.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Nausea wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:58 pm
scream ale wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:06 pm
Come graze your fingers along my six pack.
No thank you.
Don't lie fool! I know you'll drink two hearted ale

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Best time for... scratching your balls?

When your grandmother looks you in the eye.