Delta-8 cocktails, tiki and a new frontier

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Delta-8 cocktails, tiki and a new frontier

Post by Badfellow »

Follow me for a minute here.

So, many of you are likely already familiar with THC which is one of the main psychoactive components of the devil’s lettuce. It is also the component of cannabis that is classified as a controlled substance under US federal law, thus being illegal. In long form, it’s known as delta-tetrahydrocannabinol-9. That last number is significant as 9 is the analog or "version" represented when we talk about THC. Yes, there are others.

Now comes the interesting part.

Amongst these THC analogs is a close sibling of THC-9 known as THC-8 or more commonly as "delta-8". The chemical difference between the two is purely technical. However, it will effect the human THC receptors in much the same way as it’s big brother delta-9. And, of course, it falls under legality being classified by law as hemp rather than the dreaded wacky tobaccy.

Lately I’ve been looking into delta-8 tincture and how it might incorporate itself into a brave, new breed of cocktail. Experimenting at home is one thing; developing a freaky tiki delta-8 drink for a bar cocktail menu takes a bit more care and forethought. I’m using the Zombie as a home base and ranging out from there.

Doing a bit of research, one can get a 1200mg bottle of high grade, lab certified delta-8 tincture oil for just under $50. At a standard dosage of 10mg per serving, a bottle contains 120 servings which comes out to about $0.41 per serving. More than the drink itself, much of the appeal is the draw and novelty of having it on the cocktail menu and the mystique of adding the forbidding caveat "limit 2 per person".

Any thoughts?
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Delta-8 cocktails, tiki and a new frontier

Post by Patchez »

Should you require a test subject I will be at your service.

Also I like where this is headed. My only question is will it translate to THC legal states taste wise? I mean there are quite a few states were recreational weed is readily available, if they use the 9 instead of the 8 will it alter the cocktail's flavor profile?
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

There is no notable taste difference between delta-8 and delta-9. Flavor profiles come primarily from the naturally occurring terpenes that give weed (and other plants) their tastes and aromas.

In general, a half milliliter dose of delta-8 or delta-9 tincture oil added to a drink recipe would contribute a negligible amount of bitterness similar perhaps to a single, sparse dash of Angostura. In a Manhattan or a tiki drink of some kind, one probably wouldn’t even notice it.

It is also interesting to note that alcohol can act as an accelerant to hasten the absorption of edibles into the bloodstream.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

I'm not sure if there is a taste profile to Delta-8 or not, but I think if it tastes as skunky as weed smells you might be able to compliment it with a Jamaican rum base.

Hell, fuck it, even if it doesn't have a skunky taste to it, throw some Jamaican rum in there anyway. How can you go wrong with such an obvious tie-in?
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:45 pm
Hell, fuck it, even if it doesn't have a skunky taste to it, throw some Jamaican rum in there anyway. How can you go wrong with such an obvious tie-in?
Brilliantly observed, fellow Drunkard. It does have nice, irie vibe to it. Smith & Cross with a little Wray & Nephew. Fuck yeah.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Some of you may recall my mention of gardenia mix ("cold" stabilized butter, vanilla, honey, allspice). It may be that famous tiki drink adventurer Donn Beach receives proper credit for its creation. At any rate, not only does it add an incredible taste to drinks, it also acts as an emulsifier which will help evenly incorporate things such as oils without those nasty globs. Emulsifiers are pretty neat shit.

Here’s a prototype formula for the recipe I’ve been working on:

-1 oz. Smith and Cross Dark Jamaican Rum
-1 oz. Hamilton Pot Sill Jamaican Dark Rum
-0.5 oz. Wray and Nephew Overproof Rum
-0.5 oz. Plantation Pineapple Rum
-1 oz. Fresh squeeze grapefruit juice
-1 tbsp. Gardenia mix
-0.5 tsp. Fresh lime juice
-2 dashes Bittercube Grapefruit Bitters
-10 ml Delta-8 tincture oil

And so it would hit sweet, sour and bitter. I know from experience that the fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, pineapple rum and gardenia mix do some pretty incredible things together, especially with a nice, earthy dark rum. Chances are the small amount of delta-8 oil in the drink wouldn’t even be discernible.

However, something else to consider would be adding terpenes which are legal and commercially available. Say if one wanted to add a skunky profile, or a lemon haze profile or pretty much anything else. Spray it on your clothes and it acts as a sort of pheromone with certain people.

Rusty_Shackleford
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Rusty_Shackleford »

Weed is legal where I live. Maybe the only good thing about this part of the world.

I don't know anything about delta 8 since there's no need for it here. However, I can tell you with weed oil / edibles, it takes a long time to kick in and the time to kick in is highly, highly variable. I think once it only took 30 minutes to kick in, but normally I'm looking at 2 - 4 hours. The THC has to make its way through the digestive tract and to the liver, where it's converted into delta 11 THC or some fucking thing (which is even more potent than normal THC), then it crosses the blood brain barrier and happy times! The good news is, the effect last for a much, much longer time, and it's a more laid back high than smoking or vaping.

Booze kicks in normally about what? 20 - 30 mins depending? Maybe less on an empty stomach.

I started drinking about 2 hours ago and took some weed oil at the same time. I can feel the booze right now, the weed oil, not at all.

All I'm trying to say in this blogpost - if you're making a cocktail that is about utilizing the flavour of weed in said cocktail, it could work. If you're looking to get drunk and high at the same time, forget it. You're better off smoking or vaping and then pounding your drink.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Rusty_Shackleford wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:45 pm
However, I can tell you with weed oil / edibles, it takes a long time to kick in and the time to kick in is highly, highly variable. I think once it only took 30 minutes to kick in, but normally I'm looking at 2 - 4 hours.
There's nano-edibles now too, which have an onset of about 5-15 minutes.

Kanha is a company that's doing this -- not sure if there are others.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.