Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

Post by oettinger »

Backbone Robby Bobby wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:21 am

Woaw! Über alles- impressive man! But how do you deal with being a functioning professional and hide your hangover on Monday mornings to bosses and colleagues? How do you deal with the day after anxiety?
Myself, after these three days of drinking for instance, I won't be normal before next Thursday and there will be a lot of swimming and anxious evenings before the "I feel great! Let's have a drink!".
Just roll on is all I can say.
There were times when I felt like shit after bending and boozing but it`s all mental mostly. And when your body is acting up like a little thaibitch feed it somewhat carefully and drink loads of water. There`s nothing you can do about those shakes though. The only remedy for that is more drink. Cheers
Drink!

Backbone Robby Bobby
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Backbone Robby Bobby »

I'm going on solo mission! Thank you Modern Drunkards who made me find my way home! I found this beer. Made in Alsace 7°. Not bad.
We had Duff, now we have Slash.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Pfui, Slash quit, may his liver ever burn in hell!
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Here's an excerpt of a letter Vincent van Gogh wrote to his brother Theo in August of 1879:

"A prisoner who is condemned to solitude, who is prevented from working, etc. will in the long run, especially if the run is too long, suffer from the effects as surely as one who has gone hungry for too long. Like everyone else, I need friendly or affectionate relationships or intimate companionship, and am not made of stone or iron like a pump or a lamppost. And like any man of culture or decency I cannot do without these things and not feel a void, a lack of something - and I tell you all this to let you know how much good your visit has done me."

The "am not made of stone or iron" really got my attention. He appears to be saying only the toughened can live in solitude. Some years back a coworker asked me what I would be doing for Thanksgiving. I told him I would be doing nothing, just staying home alone. He was shocked, and after offer suggestions of places I could go or things I could do for the holidays, which I all declined, he said, "Wow. You're a machine."

So I can't help but wonder if these people who seem to think it takes a special type of strength to live in solitude actually admire people who do live in solitude? While van Gogh says a solitary is made of stone or iron, he also says a man of culture or decency must have companionship. It sounds as if he thinks of solitaries as both tough and uncultured.

Checking my diary reveals tonight will be my 26th consecutive day of drinking myself into a stupor, and only one of those days was in a bar.

Cheers from the stone in his room with a box of wine!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

You have your books and the internet. That`s more than enough company I guess.

Van Gogh also was a damn weirdo
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I think Van Gogh was also saying if you go it alone for too long you will end up suffering. Don't know though. I got Mrs. Patchez as a partner in crime for most of my time.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

DrunkinEurope
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by DrunkinEurope »

Just don't drink Absinthe while reading about Van Gogh, or you might get the urge to cut your ear off.

Okay, stupid joke aside, I think it comes down to one's personality. Some people can handle living in solitude quite well, and they're even seeking it out (I do, you only need two fingers to count my friends - as long as you exclude all you magnificent bastards I've met through this board and on drunk Skype) while others can't be alone even for a few hours, always craving to be surrounded by company and going insane if they don't talk to someone for a few hours.
Of course, it can also be a matter of whether the solitude derives from one's free will or is "forced" by circumstances. As Patchez poignantly stated, Van Gogh was a weird dude, so, maybe he didn't choose solitude but was forced into it and that might have resulted in him developing the "made of stone and iron" view of people living in solitude.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

In the biography of Raymond Carver, author Carol Sklenicka noted that Raymond Carver had an enormous burst of productivity after getting undrunk and meeting his new love, poetess Tess Gallagher. Carver wrote seven stories in seven weeks after giving up the bottle and falling in love with the pious poetess, probably the most productive he'd ever been in his life. Sklenicka brought this up repeatedly throughout the book. Her implication was clear - undrunkenness and loving relationships were the key to a happy and productive life.

Back on December 16, I decided to take up this seven week challenge, giving myself a deadline of February 3 to get it done. And tonight, on February 2, one day ahead of time, I just got it done. But I did it drunk and alone. I just now typed THE END on my seventh story. (In my case, it was five short stories and two book reviews.) I also wrote about a dozen drunken ass poems.

Carver's short stories were autobiographical - his daughter was once upset to see a story written about her and she made him promise not to write about her again. The thing about this autobiographical writing is that you are writing about things that have already happened and all you have to do is recall them from memory and slap them down on paper. My short stories are completely fabricated, none of the people existed and none of the events ever happened. I had to make it all up. I can't help but wonder if it required me more time to write my short stories than it did for Carver to write his. (I just checked and found that I also wrote 42 pages in my diary in the last seven weeks, so what's that? about four more Carveresque short stories???)

In good conscience I can't recommend people leave their family and friends behind, lock themselves into a room, and drink themselves into a blackout stupor every night. But it's working for me.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Damb. Y'all need to pull up the Mistah Willies posts from the Solo Mission thread. The best fucking posts on this goddamb board.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

On the possible evolutionary basis of loneliness-aversion:
Quanta Magazine wrote: Cacioppo proposes that the root of social ties lies in their opposite — loneliness. According to his theory, the pain of being alone motivates us to seek the safety of companionship, which in turn benefits the species by encouraging group cooperation and protection. Loneliness persists because it provides an essential evolutionary benefit for social animals. Like thirst, hunger or pain, loneliness is an aversive state that animals seek to resolve, improving their long-term survival.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Search for Quanta Magazine shows no results. I don't think the search function works very well here.

Anyway, I've read that Cacioppo book and it was one of the worst I've ever read. He cites studies where participants were tricked, and then uses the results of those studies to prove that people will spontaneously explode, turn into a rock of salt, just flat out up and die if they don't have people to cling to. Like bawling fucking infants. Cacioppo set out with a per-ordained conclusion and wrote his shit stain of a book. Easy to do - pretty much every body craves companionship and will do anything to avoid being alone. He gave them exactly what they wanted to hear.

Give The Stranger in the Woods by Finkel a read. Or Party of One by Rufus. Or Solitude by Storr. You do not need friends, family, or lovers as much as you think you do. Someone once said to me, "What the fuck are you saying? I should just leave my wife and kids and go be a hermit?" Yeah, that was basically what I was saying. I don't pay no alimony. I don't have an adult child in my basement playing video games. I don't have anyone yelling incredulously at me about the number 1 NFL draft pick. I don't sit through stinking dinners with people I don't like every fourth Thursday in November.

I find great pleasure in just sitting on this broken sofa, gulping my booze and staring at the wall. Ask those guys on Skype.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Hugh wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:20 pm
Search for Quanta Magazine shows no results. I don't think the search function works very well here.
Sorry Hugh. I edited that quote to cite the source I got it from, which is Quanta Magazine and not a user of this forum. I highly recommend subscribing to this 'zine. They break down cutting-edge science and mathematics very clearly for the lay person.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Thompson
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Thompson »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:12 am
Fess up you solo drinking losers! You're sitting there watching YouTube music videos with all of those good looking, well dressed models/singers and you're wishing you were one of them and that you belonged and were beloved. Give it up you fucking sots! You're sitting alone in a room drinking while the rest of the world is out there living life! Some asshole left us a message board on drunkard.com and that's all we get.
Well said, back in the day when we were young and could say things like that. Now it’s “fucking right I’m sitting alone in a room drinking. What else would I be doing and more importantly why would I want to do anything else?”
“Talk is cheap, whiskey costs money.” — Harry Caray

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

Was gonna go out, but I need a shower and I'm lazy. Think I'll just sit here and drink-MH. Don't even know if I could handle a drunk dial.
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Savage »

Thompson wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:09 pm
Hugh wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:12 am
Fess up you solo drinking losers! You're sitting there watching YouTube music videos with all of those good looking, well dressed models/singers and you're wishing you were one of them and that you belonged and were beloved. Give it up you fucking sots! You're sitting alone in a room drinking while the rest of the world is out there living life! Some asshole left us a message board on drunkard.com and that's all we get.
Well said, back in the day when we were young and could say things like that. Now it’s “fucking right I’m sitting alone in a room drinking. What else would I be doing and more importantly why would I want to do anything else?”
We can say that now. I say that now. I drink alone, because one else is here. The old man went off for "a nap" a few hours ago, and he will not be up again, probably. Cancer treatment is hard on the system. He is through chemo but most nights, including tonight, he vomits. The chemo doc (my doc also) told him it is normal to vomit after treatment has ended. I didn't even puke during; I was just terribly tired.
like tears in rain