Warren Zevon, RIP

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

God of Chunder
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Warren Zevon, RIP

Post by God of Chunder »

Looks like he's finally done passed on. Altough he wasn't my first choice when scanning the jukebox, his songs always sounded better when I had one tied on, which, now that I think about it, is pretty much most of the time. Which means that he's better than I think he is. And I do think that "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me" was about the best thing that Linda Ronstadt ever recorded. Life'll get you every time. I'll bet I'll be hearing plenty of his stuff tonaight at the local, which is fine by me.

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

I'll second that. He was a good songwriter, Guns, Lawyers And Money comes to mind.
Voices tell me to buy the bigger bottle!

Thee Totaller
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Thee Totaller »

RIP dude. Good songwriter, but you're right never the first choice for drinking music. Now what's with the big C for the relatively young 'uns? Geo Harrison at 59, Zevon in 50's--all you smokers better put 'em down.
AHLL BE BOCK

Rowdydrunk79
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Rowdydrunk79 »

Has anybody her his last album? I haven't, yet, but it's call "My Ride's Here" and he was so weak while recording it he had to sing most of the songs while sitting on a couch and take naps in between takes. There's something tragically beautiful about Warren Zevon's dedication at the end. I wish more artist had his drive.
"Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass."
- Paul Newman, The Hustler
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141203 ... F8&s=books

boozeslinga
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by boozeslinga »

He died?! Wow I missed that on the news! An old boyfriend of mine played drums for him for a tour-it was scary-amusing to watch the housewives swoon over him. He insisted we call him Uncle Arthur- don't remember why. Cancer? Well I guess that's what clean living gets ya. And then there's Joey Ramone, and Joe Strummer... (although Strummer was a heart attack).

massivedrunk

Post by massivedrunk »

its a shame, he is also a good friend of hs thompson. great writer of great songs.
Still just figuring it all out. Still not really figuring it out.

Barca

Post by Barca »

Rowdydrunk79 wrote:Has anybody her his last album? I haven't, yet, but it's call "My Ride's Here" and he was so weak while recording it he had to sing most of the songs while sitting on a couch and take naps in between takes. There's something tragically beautiful about Warren Zevon's dedication at the end. I wish more artist had his drive.
My Ride's Here was his second to last album. The Wind is his last one and I'm listening to it right now. It's not his best stuff but it's still excellent. His cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door may be a cheesy choice, but it's a brilliant version and if you're a serious fan, as I am, it's enough to move you to tears after a few drinks.

Lots of big guest stars too: Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Bob Thornton, Jackson Browneothers who slip my undrunk brain.

Letterman put on a nice tribute to him last night.

One of the true, great modern drinkers, a leader of the hard partying LA songwriter scene throughout the seventies and eighties. Great quotes on his box set:

Clint Eastwood: The only thing I've never seen him do is drink vodka from a silver boot.

Richard Gere: I saw him drink vodka from a silver boot.

Warren Zevon: "I think it's important not to get sidetracked from the immediate goal of having a really pleasant afternoon."

He'll get some sleep now.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

WmBurroughs
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by WmBurroughs »

he wasa good guy.
I drink everyday/everynight
I have since 1975

UnkleLemmy
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by UnkleLemmy »

Lets all have a Pina Colada with the Werewolves of London in his honoy.

Ah-Woooooo!
Savage: "Unkle Lemmy looks just like his avatar, and that is hawt. Also, he sends me a crate of bourbon every month and for this, when I die, he will inherit my castle in Savagonia, and my 72 virgins. (They are all good boys, and very hard workers.)"