40oz anyone?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: 40oz anyone?

Post by peetie44 »

coqui_chris wrote:
I'll put it this way:

Lets say I made a website called http://www.SoupKitchen.com. And me and my buddies put on dirty clothes, fake Hep C sores, colored our skin yellow to approximate jaundice, and took pictures of ourselves eating day-old bread, "overripe" fruit, and donated meat. Would this be kitschy and cool, and would it give me street-cred?
No, that'd be fucked-up.

But then no one's getting rich off the "soup kitchen lifestyle", near as I can tell.

However, there ARE plenty of rapper$, record companie$, radio programmer$, CD and download sale$-site$, who are ALL marketing "ghetto life" -- and $elling to many non-'hood-dwelling, up-$cale consumer$, I might add.

These "corporate pimp$" are, of course, joined by other "big-bidness" interest$, who are ALSO making large $$ from hip-hop-related music/film/clothing/pop-culture (like, say, from $150-a-pair sneakers), and this global marketing phenomena just happens to include the glorification of the "40-of-malt-likka" as a cool, lifestyle-drinking-statement. People have been exploiting this since well before Bruz and his website came along.

And, as I am old enough to remember, the beer companies have been marketing malt liquor -- to everybody in America -- decades before ghetto/pimping was considered cool and hip by anyone not involved in the game.

Is there a set of rules which govern just WHO is or isn't allowed to exploit the idea of malt liquor (none of which, I believe, is brewed by companies owned by any ghetto residents) as "hip beverage" of the moment? All I see is the rich getting richer and playing by their own rule$.

And when there's big money to be made, there's ALWAY$ a double $tandard (and always "para-site$" like this Bruz buffoon).

That's America, bro.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

msz87
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by msz87 »

cc

I was just hammered and briefly entertained when I stumbled across videos of people drinking and talking about whatever occurred to them. After seeing all your responses today I went and had a closer look, and I understand your point about the guy who runs the site, and your objection to some of the content. That being said, I don't understand why this site is even worthy of your contempt? The guy drinks cheap liquor like a fiend and sells a few shirts.

What about the breweries cutting cheques to rappers for advertising? You obviously have some pretty strong views anyway. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about the heavyweight corporations pushing malt.

But all unethical profiteering aside, you have to admit that poser 40 drinkers are a minority. Most people aren't in it for the image or because of how they see themselves. Most drink it because of the price tag.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I only buy forties byy the caSE, BITCHES!
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

msz87 wrote:cc

I was just hammered and briefly entertained when I stumbled across videos of people drinking and talking about whatever occurred to them. After seeing all your responses today I went and had a closer look, and I understand your point about the guy who runs the site, and your objection to some of the content. That being said, I don't understand why this site is even worthy of your contempt? The guy drinks cheap liquor like a fiend and sells a few shirts.

What about the breweries cutting cheques to rappers for advertising? You obviously have some pretty strong views anyway. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about the heavyweight corporations pushing malt.

But all unethical profiteering aside, you have to admit that poser 40 drinkers are a minority. Most people aren't in it for the image or because of how they see themselves. Most drink it because of the price tag.
See, my biggest problem of with the site is that the 40-ounce culture is being appropriated by a PUSSY.

Bruz's favorite 40oz is NOT malt liquor. In fact, all of the famous brands of malt liquors, the ones that rappers advertise and name-drop, are reviewed poorly by Bruz.

Bruz's favorite malt liquor is ... no, not Olde E, not Colt 45, not St. Ides, not Magnum, not Hurricane, not Mickey's ...

Its Molson Ice?
Seriously.
Molson Ice.

Mickey's was your high-school-girlfriend's -- the one who couldn't stand the taste of beer -- favorite girlfriend.

But Bruz would rather drink Molson Ice.
In a 40oz. form, though.

And somehow ............ this gives him street-cred?

COOL SITE, MANNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:I only buy forties byy the caSE, BITCHES!
Don't knock the hustle!!!

Yo, in high school, my buddy N. and I, seriously, we'd go on down to 61st and Market Street, right under the Market Street El, and get a case of 40s for $18. 12 40s for $18. And then we'd go back to the 'burbs and sell them for $3 a pop to the suburban kids too pussy to venture into West Illadelph.

We drank for free for MONTHS, man.

True story. NO sarcasm in this one. Bruz would've SHIT himself if he stepped on the block where we bought 40s ...

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

c_c,

Personally, I'm with you 100% on this.

But as long as gangsta rappers can make money referring to women as "bitches" and "hos" -- all the while shouting "pimpin' this", "nigga that" -- on MTV, BET, satellite radio, the internet and in films, then people like Don Imus and this Bruz punk are gonna try to do the same thing, and for the same reasons. It's "pop" and it $ell$.

The First Amendment covers everybody's ass. And, at least in the 'hood, so does the Second.

(but not so $ponsers' opinions, eh Don?)
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Speaking of the exploitation/reality debate, here's an article on Street Lit:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_up ... thors.html

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

coqui_chris wrote:Speaking of the exploitation/reality debate, here's an article on Street Lit:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_up ... thors.html
Good article there.

I've only read snippets of street lit and the controversy brought up in the article came immediately to mind the few times I have encountered it.

It doesn't seem to be a purely either/or issue; it's much too complicated IMHO.

Who's to say EXACTLY WHERE the line gets drawn between expressing one's life experiences and exploiting a particular subject for purely financial gain? On a case-by-case basis, the truth probably lies somewhere between the two. But no one seems to have the time to evaluate things that way anymore (if we ever did).

In the sound-bite-friendly, overly-generalized and stereotypical way modern America and the world puts forth information, we the reader/listener, are none-too-gently being channeled into evaluating everything by a very narrow, make-up-your-mind-now-and-move-on, "is it good-or-bad?" snap-judgement.

The resulting opinion is then quickly-formed -- based mainly on personal perspective; often with a deep-seated, prejudiced view -- and is greatly, if not primarily, affected by how much the particular subject matter impacts our lives on a daily basis.

Therefore, who am I to criticize or ask to censor another person whom I don't personally know beyond their literature?

And who am I to suggest depriving that person of EITHER a chance to tell their honest story, a chance to make a legal dollar (it's not against the law to write stories -- truth or fiction) or BOTH?

No easy answers here.

Mad Lion
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Mad Lion »

In my shitty little county we have liquor-by-the-drink but not by the package. You have to drive to the neighboring county to get anything with an Alcohol content greater than 6.0%.

I'm currently carless, so I drink Steel Reserve. It's 6.0%. It comes in 40's, and 12 pack cans. That's it.

I agree that posers and retards are worthy of ridicule. I don't think that drinking this 40 oz bottle of malt liquor makes me "ghetto". I'm fully aware that I'm a white kid who grew up in middle class homes. I just like to sometimes have a 40. I think because you can keep drinking it without having to constantly open cans.

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... a_flag.png

Post by waahoohah »

Mad Lion wrote:
I'm currently carless, so I drink Steel Reserve. It's 6.0%. It comes in 40's, and 12 pack cans. That's it.
The Steel around here is 8.1%abv. But we can't get it in 40's. I think we both have a beef.
"Beginner's luck is only possible if you try."

-Lee Harvey Oswald

Kourage
Souse
Souse

Post by Kourage »

Well, I have drank my fair share of 40oz. When I was in college a few freinds of mine played a games name Edward 40 Hands. Basicly a 40oz was duct taped to each hand. The first to finish won. Simple.. it was some funny shit. Just thought I would chime in.
"You can be a real asshole when you drink".. hmm ya I know.

Labatt_50
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Labatt_50 »

Most of the homeless people in the city I lived in drank mouthwash. Maybe the frat boys can have a mouthwash party, or knock back some sterno. As far as malt liquor goes, can't stand it. Too sweet, makes my fucking teeth itch. A 6 pack of cheap beer is almost the same price as a 40 so it doesn't make alot of sense to buy one around here.

Mad Lion
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Mad Lion »

Where I am, a 40 of Steel is 1.69 plus tax. A 12 pack of cans of Steel is 6.69 plus tax. That's cheap enough for me, since it's 6.0% :D

Labatt_50
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Labatt_50 »

It's 5.45 for a 40 of Old E, 6.60 for the cheapest 6 pack here.

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

Labatt_50 wrote:It's 5.45 for a 40 of Old E, 6.60 for the cheapest 6 pack here.
Move, post-haste.
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.