Drinking in public

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Drinking in public

Post by Chimneyfish »

Dr. Dotto S. Blotto wrote:i say, this is another ringing endorsement for having con V in vegas.
I think that every Con should be/have been in Vegas.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I got hassled in Vegas for drinking on the sidewalk. I wasn't THAT drunk, I wasn't loud or beligerent. Apparently it's OK to drink while you're walking, but you aren't allowed to stand still.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:I got hassled in Vegas for drinking on the sidewalk. I wasn't THAT drunk, I wasn't loud or beligerent. Apparently it's OK to drink while you're walking, but you aren't allowed to stand still.

I've never been hassled by the cops in Vegas. I've been hassled by hookers, though.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Vegas has cops?

Last time I was there me and my buddy were sharing a fifth of Gilbey's at a bus stop at 10am around a bunch of families and nobody gave us a second glance. The cab driver also said it was fine for us to be drinking in his cab and acted surprised we'd even ask. I get the feeling that all the laws in Vegas are really fuzzy. It's like how prostitution is technically illegal there but it's acceptable for the strip to be lined with guys passing out "erotic dancer" playing cards.

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

In Hollywood (Florida), you can drink on the street if it is in a plastic cup during "sanctioned events". On the beach here, you can drink from a can if it is in a bag. You can drink from a plastic cup so long as the original container was not glass. You can get mixed drinks from the bar (or your home) and put them in a non-glass/can container and drink them on the beach. You can... and I know this from personal experience, load up a Camelback with margaritas and ride a bicycle or rollerblade down the oceanwalk (you will get a ticket for skateboarding, though they will ignore the fact that you are intoxicated and carrying a liter of margaritas on your back for "hydration").

If you advertise to people that you are drinking, especially by acting like an ass-neck, you're going to be ticketed or arrested in every locality.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Jaime wrote:
slipperyyoke wrote:In Pennsylvania; they shoot your ass.
That would be Eastern Penn or downtown Philly. Now, in, Conshohocken, PA, a white guy can get away with it...
Also, this obviously doesn't apply to Parade Days, specifically on the First during the Mummers Parade for chrissake, or on the Parkway during the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

And if the Phillies do tonight what they might could do tonight, well fuck me running if this rule absolutely doesn't apply on fucking Broad Street on Friday.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

The UK is slowly bringing in more and more "no alcohol" zones, luckily i can avoid all of them when walking home and happily keep drinking my gin straight out the bottle.

If the cops stop me i just screw the lid on and put it away til they've gone, although I usually walked straight past them no hassle, some just seem over zealous about stopping "anti social behaviour"....im perfectly sociable with my gin, i'd even give them some if they asked.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

hoverdog
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by hoverdog »

I'm not really sure what the law is exactly in Finland but in practice you will never get arrested for just drinking in public. They might want to see ID to check if you're underage but even that's rare, and if the drinking is taking place in a specific place (like on the steps of the House of Parliament) the security will probably tell you to go somewhere else. Depends on the time of day.
The last thing that anyone should ever do is feel ashamed of blacking out. You were trying to get drunk last night and, goddamnit, mission accomplished.

Jelmo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jelmo »

Over here in The Netherlands the 'closed containers are ok, but if it's open you'll get a fine'-rule applies. But what causes my concern these days is that over here the cops are out there on the street with special pieces of paper which they dip in your coke- or waterbottle to test if it contains any alcohol. Damn those teenagers that just got too 'showy' with public drinking.
"Don't give a damn how this turns out
Drain bottles just to scream and shout
On the run from reality
Poison helps me and go flee"

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

I remember being around 14-15, walking around town on a friday night drinking a bottle of jamesons walking down the street when the cops drove passed. I started panicking when i saw them but they just drove on and never interupted me.....weird. Seems cops don't care around here.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

David
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by David »

Jelmo wrote:But what causes my concern these days is that over here the cops are out there on the street with special pieces of paper which they dip in your coke- or waterbottle to test if it contains any alcohol.
What the hell? Where do you live?

Also, don't blame the teenagers, blame the ChristenUnie.

Jelmo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jelmo »

Hi David, I think you are right. ChristenUnie (political party) is to blame, although I think there are more political parties hinting on taking the fun things out of life. Their latest achievement: the smoking bans in bars and such.

The story I described was in the news about half a year ago, but it popped back in my mind after reading the posts in this topic.
I tried to look up an article for you but all I got in my search results was stuff about why parents should prevent their children from drinking on an early age.

By the way, I live in Noord-Brabant. Nice to see more Dutch people around here, thought I was the only one with a "Now it's time for my real job"-shirt ;)

Got some fridaynight drinking to do now, cheers!
"Don't give a damn how this turns out
Drain bottles just to scream and shout
On the run from reality
Poison helps me and go flee"

tisbor
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by tisbor »

Drinking in the street is banned in Norway too apparently .. well not that you would want to do that in winter but still it's a good reason to burn down churches . Total support to the black metal mafia .
Also supermarkets stop to sell alcohol after 8 pm , and they don't until 10 am.
I saw lots of alcoholfree beers and alcoholfree WINE (?? ??? ???????????? ???) . Where has viking pride gone ? Odin must be really fucking disappointed .

mormonholocaust
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by mormonholocaust »

In most areas of Kansas City MO* it's cool; my friend B., his girlfriend and I get a cooler full of beer and get loaded in the park on a pretty regular basis in the day time (and they were both minors), and it was often the spot of many a spontaneous party. I'd often go walking down the street, sometimes using the claw technique as described by C_C, but just as often not. Police really didn't seem to care as long as you weren't making a mess and made the motions of hiding the fact you're breaking the law. The only places this really wouldn't apply are the Plaza and Westport, both of which are infested with private police....

* - I can't describe the drinking situation in the 'burbs, as I never spent a good deal of time there.
Greetings from The Humungus! The Lord Humungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!

FUCK TETLEY'S ENGLISH ALE

David
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by David »

Jelmo wrote:By the way, I live in Noord-Brabant.
Hey, me too. Cheers!
Last edited by David on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.