Death's Door

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Death's Door

Post by Mr Boozificator »

My people have a special blanche called "coeur de chauffe" that they don't sell, you actually have to know someone who produce Cognac or Armagnac for a living to get some, and it always comes for free, just because they don't sell it. I'll stick to that.
I really regret it doesn't travel at all, because I'd send a few of you some, it's very very nice and somehow clean. I don't know how to define the taste otherwise.
Edit: I stand corrected, some bastards have decided to put "coeur de chauffe" on a label and have started selling (idiots) it. Even around here, we have difficulties squashing all the rats attacking half millennia old traditions.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Aloysius_of_Tahiti
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Aloysius_of_Tahiti »

I say go for it. In my youth, I've been known to drink a cup of porch moonshine (estimated at around 170 proof) and after the fireworks faded from the world around me, I was steady enough to sit and have a cool, soothing beer.
Oh, it was a one hell of a few minutes but I like to think I'm a stronger man for it.

EuroSlave
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by EuroSlave »

noooo

the colour of a whiskey is one of the pleasures of the drink

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

WEll, hows about some 100 proof strawberries then...

I was in a different store today perusing the booze, looking for something different, and I don't know maybe I was hungry or maybe I thought I needed more fruit in my diet. It's like fruit juice, but you can tell it's 100 proof. I'm gonna try and drink/eat the whole jar tonight so anything I say from here on out is most likely strawberry field induced.

"Hey I wasn't lookin at his neck, man."
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Post by Screwball »

Just don't freak out when ya start shitting 100 proof red splatters all over the place.

Raoul_Duke
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Raoul_Duke »

While I agree with everything regarding the philosophy of commercially available "moonshine" and white whiskeys of today, I feel the need to clarify one thing. Death's Door's website may have mentioned the background of the name, but I've no patience for marketing speak.

Door County is the admittedly beautiful tourist trap of a peninsula on Wisconsin's mitten tip. There is one island off the tip of land called Washington Island. The calmness of Green Bay proper met with the dark turbulence of Lake Michigan between Door County and Washington Island in a strait early French explorers called "Porte des Mortes" - Death's Door. So many ships went down in this passage that the strait took on a mythology of its own. Even today, the car ferry that shuttles between the mainland and the island can get pretty rough, as gale force winds can spring up on the sunniest of days.

Washington Island is well known for its wheat fields - I'd surmise that the same types of wheat grown for this white whiskey are also those used in Madison WI's Capital Brewery Island Wheat beer. I have seen the signs planted in Washington Island wheat fields advertising their connection to the beer.

Is it commercialized and, as Peetie put it, faux macho to call it Death's Door? Yes, of course. It's also somewhat historically accurate from a source perspective. As a proud Wisconsinite, I like supporting local products when I can. 80 proof whiskey is tough to do though.
"Rid the mind of knowledge when looking for pleasure.
Or start thinking and find a lot of pain."
---J. P. Donleavy

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

ThirstyDrunk wrote:WEll, hows about some 100 proof strawberries then...

I was in a different store today perusing the booze, looking for something different, and I don't know maybe I was hungry or maybe I thought I needed more fruit in my diet. It's like fruit juice, but you can tell it's 100 proof. I'm gonna try and drink/eat the whole jar tonight so anything I say from here on out is most likely strawberry field induced.

"Hey I wasn't lookin at his neck, man."
How the fuck did I miss that? i must have been drunk. Here's my proposition my friend: each year when I pay you a visit, we'll put a random fruit or something in a jar full of moonshine (I'm sure Bluespook can help in that field) and the year after when I come back, we'll just eat that stuff for an appetizer before we have the first drink of the week-end. What do you think, my giant friend?
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

put bacon in a jar of moonshine
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I think I recall someone showing pics of their bacon infused vodka, or something like that.
I'd be up for putting something like cherries in some real deal shine. Or maybe some Goji berries.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:So, moonshine is the same as white whiskey? I thought there was a difference but there's a lot of shit I don't know. It says it's finished in uncharred barrels to meld the spirit's unique flavors. It states that they use an 80/20 ratio of wheat to barley in the mash, which is why i thought it was more like an unaged wheat whiskey.
Also it says:"the palate is unmistakably whisky: a smooth double-distilled varietal with vanilla, chocolate covered raisin, and dark cherry flavors." But hey, they'll say anything to get suckers to buy it.
Cost $34.10, by the way.
Yeah, it could be pretty difficult to filter the whiskey to get it so clear so it's simply a finer distillation nearing pure alcohol with a wisp of grain. The uncharred barrels don't do much since it's charcoal that refines the impurities but if it's 2x distilled so who cares?
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Raoul_Duke wrote:...
Is it commercialized and, as Peetie put it, faux macho to call it Death's Door? Yes, of course. It's also somewhat historically accurate from a source perspective. As a proud Wisconsinite, I like supporting local products when I can. 80 proof whiskey is tough to do though.
Great post, thanks! Do you suppose it's simply adulterated (diluted) to expand it's market share? Fire water is too mature for the young crowds. We've seen Jack D. take that route and it was profitable.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Raoul_Duke
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Raoul_Duke »

Lush City wrote: Great post, thanks! Do you suppose it's simply adulterated (diluted) to expand it's market share? Fire water is too mature for the young crowds. We've seen Jack D. take that route and it was profitable.
I have no "inside info", but my guess is yes. It's probably dumbed down a bit for the average consumer. Even folks who fancy themselves drinkers don't seem to know what to expect from white whiskey (flavorwise or proofwise). I'm sure the marketing savants at Death's Door want to keep it accessible. That tameness earns it well-deserved scorn from those of us who know better...but you're right on the money.
"Rid the mind of knowledge when looking for pleasure.
Or start thinking and find a lot of pain."
---J. P. Donleavy

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Mr Boozificator wrote: we'll put a random fruit or something in a jar full of moonshine (I'm sure Bluespook can help in that field) and the year after when I come back, we'll just eat that stuff for an appetizer before we have the first drink of the week-end.
we have a friend who starts next year's sangria after the previous year's easter. some of the fruit regularly dissapears...disolves, i guess. she keeps adding fruit and booze throughout the year. i'm not sure what exactly happens, but the result is damn good. the fruit by the end (that's still there...there's some fresh fruit in it, too, only a few days old at serving) is brown and tastes like everclear. shit will mess you up. y'all should come for easter....
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Wingman wrote:
Mr Boozificator wrote: we'll put a random fruit or something in a jar full of moonshine (I'm sure Bluespook can help in that field) and the year after when I come back, we'll just eat that stuff for an appetizer before we have the first drink of the week-end.
we have a friend who starts next year's sangria after the previous year's easter. some of the fruit regularly dissapears...disolves, i guess. she keeps adding fruit and booze throughout the year. i'm not sure what exactly happens, but the result is damn good. the fruit by the end (that's still there...there's some fresh fruit in it, too, only a few days old at serving) is brown and tastes like everclear. shit will mess you up. y'all should come for easter....
This is extremely tantalizing, but around Easter I am supposed to be delivering classes all around. If I win the lottery, you'll know it by the frantic ding ding at your door, and the ding will have a French accent: Dingueu

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

So why doesn't someone post a good recipe for this fruity treat? Need to try this. Looks real organic...