Neat or on the rocks?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Neat or on the rocks?

Post by DeeboCools »

beerkegbilly wrote:
Ale takes to being warm better the a lager does
they used to kept it in cave to keep it cool
that why they got steam ale in San Francisco they did not have cave for lager to keep it cool
so they make that taste the same as lager
yeah, I guess you could keep it in a cave. But to think that prehistoric man was just drinking "cool" beer and not "cold" is something I never thought about before and surprises me. I still would've drank it warm though, like I'm sure plenty did.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

is it cooler than my spit?

sweet, give it here....
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

The Limey wrote:Neat. Always. Unless it's really hot, then a single cube of ice in a blend. I accidentally swallowed a few ice cubes in my time, with those stones i reckon with inebriation are dangerous choking hazard. Some new ones have come out that are capable of removing teeth on the last gulp.

I often take flack from certain scotch snobs because I refuse the "splash of spring water" which appears to be some sort of a line of demarcation regarding one's ability to appreciate single malts. Personally, I prefer the taste of almost all whiskies straight -- zeroing in on personal favorites is the key.

I'll admit some cheaper whiskies can be improved a bit with a little added water, but if I don't have enough $$ for my preferred scotch, I simply switch to Jim Beam or Four Roses bourbon.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

peetie44 wrote:
The Limey wrote:Neat. Always. Unless it's really hot, then a single cube of ice in a blend. I accidentally swallowed a few ice cubes in my time, with those stones i reckon with inebriation are dangerous choking hazard. Some new ones have come out that are capable of removing teeth on the last gulp.

I often take flack from certain scotch snobs because I refuse the "splash of spring water" which appears to be some sort of a line of demarcation regarding one's ability to appreciate single malts. Personally, I prefer the taste of almost all whiskies straight -- zeroing in on personal favorites is the key.

I'll admit some cheaper whiskies can be improved a bit with a little added water, but if I don't have enough $$ for my preferred scotch, I simply switch to Jim Beam or Four Roses bourbon.
The water thing just ruins it for me, less heat in the spirit is not good. If someone put water in my Islay I'd possibly hit them.

Tried drinking rum with ice in recently, havana 7 y/o and woods 100...dulled the flavour too much and won't repeat. I do like gin out the freezer though but straight up, its lso not bad with ice.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Resurrected!

ROCKS because I need my drinks super cold. Some drunkards on this thread have suggested to find a better drink if it is unbearable being consumed without ice but that won't change the fact that I still need the drink- no matter how delicious or crappy it is- to be super cold. Room temp booze tends to kick in my most unsavory gag reflex. It's a curse. Just as I can't drink flat mixers. Need the ice, need the fizz.

But I get it though. Ice is not necessary for those who savor their drink and can afford quality booze.

But to those who complain that it waters the drink down...you aren't drinking fast enough!
Okole maluna!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:03 am
Resurrected!

ROCKS because I need my drinks super cold. Some drunkards on this thread have suggested to find a better drink if it is unbearable being consumed without ice but that won't change the fact that I still need the drink- no matter how delicious or crappy it is- to be super cold. Room temp booze tends to kick in my most unsavory gag reflex. It's a curse. Just as I can't drink flat mixers. Need the ice, need the fizz.

But I get it though. Ice is not necessary for those who savor their drink and can afford quality booze.

But to those who complain that it waters the drink down...you aren't drinking fast enough!
ANDR is one of the forums that is on my boycott list, so I never even look here. However, I saw this titel, "Neat or on the rocks?" on my way down to the Not Booze Related forum, so I stopped in.

NEAT. I was in fact thinking about starting a thread to ask the question, "What is the difference in "neat" and "straight up? And if there is no difference, which is the proper term?" Based on this thread, I guess it is "Neat." Bummer, because I like the term "straight up" better.

I drink rotgut, i.e., Kessler, Ancient Age, neat. In fact, if it is in the half pint bottle, I drink it straight from the bottle. Those first few sips can be hard going down, but after that it's all good. Now, as for the premium whiskeys, I also drink them neat. Here, I'm speaking of Knob Creek which I was turned on to by Patchez. And I guess I should point out that I don't drink booze for the taste, I drink to get drunk. It isn't important for me to enjoy the taste, however, I enjoy a night of drinking sweet wine more than grimacing down every sip of sour wine. Sour wine, unlike whiskey, doesn't get better as the night goes on. I find myself at 2 in the morning swearing I will throw out this box of sour wine and go get the sweet even if the sweet costs more.

In the case of vodka, I don't believe it can be consumed neat. I've made attempts at it. I stored the bottle in the freezer so that it would be cold and palatable when I drank it. But it isn't enough. I threw out the last bottle of vodka I purchased and never went back. If I were forced to drink vodka, I'd have to get ice to keep it cold. That shit's nasty.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Warm whisky, yes sir
Warm vodka, puke
Drink!

Pat Magroin
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Pat Magroin »

When drinking out of a bottle like some of us do ice is to hard to get into the bottle so I am used to no ice plus if the water to make the ice has shit in it you will get pretty sick with worms
Where the fuck am I and how did I get here?