Neat or on the rocks?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Neat or on the rocks?

Post by John Barleycorn »

I do things on a liquor by liquor basis.

Gin: Ice is fine. Although it would be interesting if someone would come up with a 126 or 150 or even 180 proof and heavily laden with botanicals Gin in order to make it so that a good martini could be simply poured into a glass with ice and vermouth without having to strain it. Anyone who is telling you that ice doesn't belong in a gin and tonic is a putz.

Scotch: Single malts I don't ice. However I have waited for cool damp weather to enjoy them. I may add a few drops of water. I am afraid to drown my single malt. Blended scotch, well if I'm making a scotch and soda (a drink which has charms apart from those available by drinking scotch alone) I'll use ice. With blended scotch I've always found it good to taste first, and add ice later.

Bourbon: I've never had a bourbon more fancy than maker's mark 46. With a good bourbon I'll taste it neat and maybe add an ice cube instead of the splash of water that single malt gets. If I feel the need for a cold Buffalo trace, I'll make it happen.

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

I use chilled glass, just to make bitch outta this thread

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

I just put the bottle in the freezer or the glass or just one ice cube or use a Pepsi chaser and fill it with ice ans sip on it to cool down it the heat.

lkmpartners
Tippler
Tippler

Post by lkmpartners »

I enjoy single malt scotch whisky when I can afford it. Dalmore 12, Laphroig 10, Tamdhu NAS, Highland Park 12. I never put single malt on the rocks... Always neat with a drop of water maybe.. Now Blended scotch.. A lot different... I usually try it neat, and then nose it.,. if acceptable I may drink it neat.. Grants, Teachers, Famous Grouse, Passport(The Best Cheapo Whisky Blend) 2nd Cheapo Blend is Scoresby Very Hammered!!(Rare) ,will drink some neat.. Then go on the rocks...Minimal hangover issues.. AVOID OLD SMUGGLER, CLUNY.. :(

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

either or
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

John Barleycorn wrote:I do things on a liquor by liquor basis.

Gin: Ice is fine. Although it would be interesting if someone would come up with a 126 or 150 or even 180 proof and heavily laden with botanicals Gin in order to make it so that a good martini could be simply poured into a glass with ice and vermouth without having to strain it. Anyone who is telling you that ice doesn't belong in a gin and tonic is a putz.
Personally, I always keep my gin in the fridge. Tonic too of course. I prefer it over the ice - the temperature effect is the same.

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

captain gonzo wrote:either or
same depends on the weather on what I'm drinking. I take it with a teaspoon of water to unlock the favor or one ice cube
never a liquor snow cone.

Superfucker
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Superfucker »

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/everlasting-gin-and-tonic/ Interesting idea anyways, are rocks a negative when they are themselves made of gin?
What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

John Barleycorn

Post by John Barleycorn »

The words "everlasting gin and tonic" made me think of a sitting on barstool in front of a bar consisting of a massive red marble slab, dimly lit, with wreaths of flowers all around and Schumann's Traumerei playing softly on a continuous loop as the drink is constantly refilled from a gin and tonic fountain.

The Goat
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by The Goat »

You just gotta think...Whenever such and such liqueur was invented you better be damn certain they didn't have ice.
"If we take habitual drunkards as a class, their heads and their hearts will bear an advantageous comparison with those of any other class. There seems ever to have been a proneness in the brilliant and warm-blooded to fall in to this vice." - Abraham Lincoln in an address to the Washington Temperance Society in 1842

Superfucker
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Superfucker »

The Goat wrote:You just gotta think...Whenever such and such liqueur was invented you better be damn certain they didn't have ice.
True, I often drink ales & wines in the 55-65 degree range, and the same for spirits, with the exception of cocktails and other mixed drinks. That aside these drinks were invented in temperate to cool European countries without central heating, a far cry from Bakersfield California's 80 degree room temp.
What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

The Goat
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by The Goat »

Superfucker wrote: That aside these drinks were invented in temperate to cool European countries without central heating, a far cry from Bakersfield California's 80 degree room temp.
Also true.
"If we take habitual drunkards as a class, their heads and their hearts will bear an advantageous comparison with those of any other class. There seems ever to have been a proneness in the brilliant and warm-blooded to fall in to this vice." - Abraham Lincoln in an address to the Washington Temperance Society in 1842

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

This question of the temperature and lack of ice when alcoholic beverages were developed begs a huge question. The oldest written recipe is for beer. Were people drinking air-temperature beer for thousands of years before refridgeration? Is "Ice cold beer" a modern perversion?

COMPELLING.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by beerkegbilly »

DeeboCools wrote:This question of the temperature and lack of ice when alcoholic beverages were developed begs a huge question. The oldest written recipe is for beer. Were people drinking air-temperature beer for thousands of years before refridgeration? Is "Ice cold beer" a modern perversion?

COMPELLING.
Ale takes to being warm better the a lager does
they used to kept it in cave to keep it cool
that why they got steam ale in San Francisco they did not have cave for lager to keep it cool
so they make that taste the same as lager

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by beerkegbilly »

Superfucker wrote:http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/everlasting-gin-and-tonic/ Interesting idea anyways, are rocks a negative when they are themselves made of gin?
nope it a cool idea man