Boozy's wine thread - the sequel

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Boozy's wine thread - the sequel

Post by BBoozer »

I hope Boozy does not send the French troops to Belgium for me picking up this thread in TAOGH (where it belongs).

In any case, here's my question. Boozy, I like wine, I like olives (especially the green varieties). I like to drink dry sherry with them. Now, other than sherry, what wine would you serve with olives?

BBoozer

Re: Boozy's wine thread - the sequel

Post by BBoozer »

Boozy, could you share your thoughts on German Moesel wines?

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

BBoozer wrote:I hope Boozy does not send the French troops to Belgium
in a world where the euro has no meaning. where drunkards must fight for the last drops of wine in a europe gone mad. waterloo: the sequel! this time, no one goes home until the booze is gone!
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

I'm no expert but I like to eat olives while drinking bigger, bolder reds like Syrah/Shiraz and Malbec. The olives have a very strong flavor and would likely overpower a white. Of course, you could take the opposite route and go with a white for the contrast of light and sweet vs. heavy and salty.

Can't say much about the other stuff.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

Wingman wrote:
in a world where the euro has no meaning. where drunkards must fight for the last drops of wine in a europe gone mad. waterloo: the sequel! this time, no one goes home until the booze is gone!
I actually like this scenario quite a bit.

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

Bur wrote:
Wingman wrote:
I actually like this scenario quite a bit.
Yes, especially when the English come to the rescue.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

BBoozer wrote:I hope Boozy does not send the French troops to Belgium for me picking up this thread in TAOGH (where it belongs).

In any case, here's my question. Boozy, I like wine, I like olives (especially the green varieties). I like to drink dry sherry with them. Now, other than sherry, what wine would you serve with olives?
I just discovered this thread now, and your question is quite a relevant one.
With olives I recommend those: Muscat de Rivesaltes (got drunk on that combination in Carcassone I don't know how many times), Fino, Vino Verde (the Portuguese stuff, cold), Pineau des Charentes, and if you have balls, Sainte Croix du Mont (beware, the first bottle tends to dissapear real fast and every olive will make you want more).
Seasonning the olives with orange bell pepper and garlic crushed in olive oil usually does the trick. You might forget to eat after that.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

BBoozer wrote:Boozy, could you share your thoughts on German Moesel wines?
I have fallen in love with those back in 1997. I picked a Saar-Ruwel Mosellan to serve on the starters for my wedding. Beautiful light white wines they are, the taste is simply neat. If you go by the small village of Palzem, next to the Luxembourg border, you MUST, and I mean MUST by and drink some Elbling. Gorgeousest (I know the word doesn't exist, deal with it!) white wine ever.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

Boozy, I once, a long time ago, drank Moroccan wine. It was kind of heavy but the taste was not profound. What is your opinion about morrocan wines and do you have any recommendations?

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

BBoozer wrote:Boozy, I once, a long time ago, drank Moroccan wine. It was kind of heavy but the taste was not profound. What is your opinion about morrocan wines and do you have any recommendations?
The only very good Moroccan wines I've had so far were rosé wines, and sadly, I can't remember the names.
The Boulaouane gris is okay cheap and okay for hot summer days though. Nothing to write home about, but okay.
Edit: wait, now I remember that Guerrouane used to have a special edition that was real fine. Rosé again.
Edit again: I get the feeling that what you are looking for is more like the Lebanese reds, but they don't export much.

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by NightShiftCharlie »

Like I said in the "You've got $20....." thread, I'm not much of a wine drinker. The first (and last) glass I tried was some homemade stuff my now late grandfather made when was still a teen. I'm thinking of drinking wine again, starting with the local wines (I live in the Shawnee Hills region, if that helps). Looking at the labels, I see that most of the dry reds (lots of sweet and semi-sweet wines are made right here) feature Chambourincin grapes, and most of the dry whites feature Chardonnel. My question for you (if anyone should know, it would be our man from Bourdeaux, right?) is: Are there any wines in France using those kinds of grapes?
May you all be hung, drawn, and quartered!
Yes, HUNG - with precious metals and jewels
DRAWN - in a coach and four
and QUARTERED - in the finest homes in the land.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

NightShiftCharlie wrote:Like I said in the "You've got $20....." thread, I'm not much of a wine drinker. The first (and last) glass I tried was some homemade stuff my now late grandfather made when was still a teen. I'm thinking of drinking wine again, starting with the local wines (I live in the Shawnee Hills region, if that helps). Looking at the labels, I see that most of the dry reds (lots of sweet and semi-sweet wines are made right here) feature Chambourincin grapes, and most of the dry whites feature Chardonnel. My question for you (if anyone should know, it would be our man from Bourdeaux, right?) is: Are there any wines in France using those kinds of grapes?
Chambourincin, never hear off before reading your post (interesting!). About the other kind, did you mean Chardonnay, or Chardonnel? If that' s Chardonnay, we use it here for like 70% of the whites.

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by NightShiftCharlie »

No, it really is Chardonnel. When I first saw the label, I thought it was a cheap Chardonnay knock-off myself. Also, Norton grapes are popular with the vineyards over here.
May you all be hung, drawn, and quartered!
Yes, HUNG - with precious metals and jewels
DRAWN - in a coach and four
and QUARTERED - in the finest homes in the land.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

NightShiftCharlie wrote:No, it really is Chardonnel. When I first saw the label, I thought it was a cheap Chardonnay knock-off myself. Also, Norton grapes are popular with the vineyards over here.
Chardonnel is equally unknown around here (which is not necessarily good omens) but I'm going to do my homework, research and taste it.
Incredible: I thought I pretty much knew every kind of grape used for wine. This thread is getting fascinating.

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

Interesting. I never heard about the Shawnee hills, and now they appear to have a wine trail:

http://www.shawneewinetrail.com/

We should send an explorer.