Drink of the Decade

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Barca

Drink of the Decade

Post by Barca »

for those few people who remember drink of the week.

When a tickle of booze changes your life in a way that a flood of booze seems inevitable, sometimes that's how you build a drink. Rocks a glass, lay some fresh cucumber on the rocks, pour some gin over that cucumber, drizzle some lime over said gin.

Now, wait until you can wait no longer. Drink.

That's a Barca Gimlet.

You're Welcome.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Drink of the Decade

Post by Mr. Viking »

add a dash of vinegar and that would be divine, just a dash mind
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Just tried this, I strongly recommend it. As if Barca's genius was ever in question.

The Barca Gimlet shall, evermore, be part of my drink repertoire.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

Waiting for booze has never been a strong point with me, but based on the recommendations I may have to try.

Although, I do like pouring whiskey over ice and appreciating the subsequent swirl patterns for approx 30 seconds.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

Which gin? Hendricks?

Gin is the lovely lady to whom I owe a call, and have been too chicken to dial.
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I'd recommend Plymouth gin, or Cork Dry if you can find it. Both are good substitutes for hendricks, and cheaper. Also, if you get a chance, The Botanist by Bruichladdich is magnificent, but there's not much about and I don't even know if they export it
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Mr. Viking wrote:I'd recommend Plymouth gin, or Cork Dry if you can find it. Both are good substitutes for hendricks, and cheaper. Also, if you get a chance, The Botanist by Bruichladdich is magnificent, but there's not much about and I don't even know if they export it
Mr V...how do Plymouth and Cork, respectively, compare to Bombay Gin...either regular "white label" or Sapphire?
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

never had white label sapphire. They are both softer tasting, but with more flavour, ie the flavour is less sharp but there is more of it. This is to a greater degree in Plymouth than Cork dry if I remember (can't find cork dry in scotland to compare) I also enjoy the fact they have more of a history, being century old gins rather than 30 or so, but I could easily be accused of being a snob

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Mr. Viking wrote:never had white label sapphire. They are both softer tasting, but with more flavour, ie the flavour is less sharp but there is more of it. This is to a greater degree in Plymouth than Cork dry if I remember (can't find cork dry in scotland to compare) I also enjoy the fact they have more of a history, being century old gins rather than 30 or so, but I could easily be accused of being a snob
"Sapphire" is Bombay's upscale gin...frankly, I prefer their cheaper, standard offering ("white label", for lack of a better designation).

I believe(?) I can get Plymouth at a drank handel (liquor store) just over the border in Holland. I'm gonna check it out.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

peetie44 wrote:
Mr. Viking wrote:never had white label sapphire. They are both softer tasting, but with more flavour, ie the flavour is less sharp but there is more of it. This is to a greater degree in Plymouth than Cork dry if I remember (can't find cork dry in scotland to compare) I also enjoy the fact they have more of a history, being century old gins rather than 30 or so, but I could easily be accused of being a snob
"Sapphire" is Bombay's upscale gin...frankly, I prefer their cheaper, standard offering ("white label", for lack of a better designation).

I believe(?) I can get Plymouth at a drank handel (liquor store) just over the border in Holland. I'm gonna check it out.
it's just gone to a new bottle, here's a picture of the different bottles

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

If memory serves, Barca once recommended to me Beefeater for a more robust and unalloyed gin taste. I quite liked it. My apologies if I'm mis-remembering; it was years and years ago.
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

steved2112 wrote:If memory serves, Barca once recommended to me Beefeater for a more robust and unalloyed gin taste. I quite liked it. My apologies if I'm mis-remembering; it was years and years ago.
Beefeater is pretty similar to Gordon's but is more expensive and comes in a better bottle

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Mr. Viking wrote:
steved2112 wrote:If memory serves, Barca once recommended to me Beefeater for a more robust and unalloyed gin taste. I quite liked it. My apologies if I'm mis-remembering; it was years and years ago.
Beefeater is pretty similar to Gordon's but is more expensive and comes in a better bottle
I've always liked Tanqueray as well.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I have long been a proponent of Plymouth Gin (see posts passim). You can order it directly from the factory; just click on this link for details.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Barca

Post by Barca »

I love Hendrick's and Plymouth, care deeply about Boodle's, but spend most of my time with Beefeater and Seagram's.

I'm usually mixing my gin so I'm not that particular; I've spent whole weekends drinking Aristocrat. For a Gimlet or Martini, though, it behooves one to upgrade a bit.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson