National Drinking Days

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

National Drinking Days

Post by Dear Booze »

Saint Patrick's Day 2013 has come and gone. Traditionally, it's the biggest single drinking day in the United States, and this year was no different. Americans spent $4,500,000,000 to celebrate. That's a lot of Guinness, Jameson, Irish Car Bombs and Cabbage!

With spending like that, every state, county and city government that allows the sale of alcohol sees a spike in their sales tax revenues. It's a huge day.

To help understand the impact of the green holiday on the economy, one needs to look no farther than the Fourth of July. Each year, Independence Day shows that America's patriotic spirit cannot be slowed by economic woes. Citizens spend $3,000,000,000 on beer, burgers and bottle rockets. That's a lot of money too.

But, no matter how you look at it, St. Patrick's Day still leads the spending race by 1.5 billion dollars.

This isn't a statement which questions the patriotism of Americans. It's simply a fact about how Americans spend their hard-earned cash. Once broken down, it's clear that the two holidays are designed differently. For example, Independence Day is celebrated by attending more large-scale, organized events. Things like firework shows or church picnics. On St. Patrick's Day, Americans tend to head to a pub or restaurant to get their fill of Guinness and corned beef. At the end of the day, it's simply more expensive to celebrate on March 17 than on July 4. We are clearly ready, willing and able to celebrate a holiday which is primarily based on celebrating the Irish culture through booze and food.

America needs its own St. Patrick's Day. Well, maybe not its own St. Patrick's Day, but something similar. Understanding that the four-and-a-half billion dollars which is spent to celebrate all things Irish doesn't get send to Ireland, but stays on our shores and in our own banks, this seems to be a no brainer. This type of holiday is good for the economy.

So, where to start?

First, we need a day...

People tend to spend more for a holiday when the holiday falls on a weekend, rather than on a particular date. So, rather than assigning a date, a particular weekend should be chosen.

While looking at a list of holidays, August is a glowing standout as the month with no major holiday.

Restaurant owners recognize that their busiest days tend to fall on the first weekend of each month. It's because people generally get paid on the first and tend to splurge a little while they have the cash to do so.
Based on this, the new holiday should always fall on the first full weekend of August. It's a lot easier to figure out than when Easter is going to be!

Next, we need a theme...

If we were being completely honest, the theme would be "Drinking Booze and Eating Food," but this will never fly. Ultra-conservatives and most religious organizations wouldn't get behind it. For it to be successful, the holiday must force most people out of their house. One of the reasons for the success of Saint Patrick's Day is that most Americans don't know how to prepare traditional Irish fare, so they have to find a place that specializes in Irish food and drink.

If all Americans are expected to embrace this new holiday, than it needs to be somewhat patriotic; it should be something that says "we're Americans and we're gonna eat and drink to celebrate" without actually saying it and without cutting into the Fourth of July's corner on the patriotic market. Maybe it’s a chance to “celebrating the cultures which make America great," or something like that. People will be encouraged to experience other cultures through food and drinks.

Finally, we need a name...

My first choice is “National Drinking Days,” but it probably will not fly. "Melting Pot Days," or "Great American Food and Drink Days" would probably work. I’m really hung up on this name thing (although I will privately call it National Drinking Days).

So, every year, starting on the first Saturday in August, we will all be expected to have a bottle of Lion Beer in an Indian restaurant, drink Caipirinhas at a Brazilian Steakhouse, sip sake, toast with Tequila, and have a few belts of Beefeater. It is our duty. Salut!
DRINK!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: National Drinking Days

Post by Patchez »

Sound theory good Sir.

I have a few thoughts or points to bring up. Slightly slurred thoughts, mayhap disjointed as well. Let me start by saying I love the concept. Outstanding idea.

Problems with it as I see it, skewed though that vision may be, are the August thing and that it falls on a weekend. Now hear me out, I agree with your precept that people spend more on a holiday weekend, but isn't that because two of the biggies for weekends turn them into 3 day weekends? Think about maybe making it a Monday. I know this will cause issues with our corporate masters but if you wave a 1.5 billion dollar incentive, you should have plenty of lobbyist to push that little extra day off for the nation through Congress.

The whole August thing should be scraped. You have Labor day at the start of September. One month away. The real gap of extra time off, meaning more for drinking, should be during the cabin fever days between New Years and the next working man's time off Memorial Day. Five months of desolation and despair. Sure there's a drinking holiday right there in March but hell depending on when it falls, you have to take time off to really enjoy it.

I have no idea how to rectify the date thing. The Idea of making it a Monday we need to make happen.

Best guess for the date is first weekend in March for the working stiffs who may not get to fully raise hell on St. Patty's Day. Possibly the third weekend in February as the perfect Cabin Fever respite.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Patchez wrote: Possibly the third weekend in February as the perfect Cabin Fever respite.
Sir, your data analysis is quite good. Count me in, bud.

Good work awaits.

...Now let me find my pen. There it is, beyond the bottle. I will not fail ye

(damn)

Still, a good idea, you guys

*chug*

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

While the third weekend in February is a splendid choice for the "perfect Cabin Fever respite", that time period is book-ended by Valentine's Day and St. Patrick’s Day. In addition, President's Day (Washington's Birthday) will be held on Feb 17, 2014 and Mardi Gras is March 4. There's a lot going on during that time period.

So, after much thought, analysis and consideration, I still support holding National Drinking Days during the first full weekend of August. Besides that, the first weekend of August is only a few days away... Now, I'm not saying we need to have a special excuse to drink, but it's still a good one.

I will proudly work on an official proclamation to be recognized and adopted by all jurisdictions.

It is our duty as citizens to observe this holiday weekend.
DRINK!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

RESOLUTION

A RESOLUTION DECLARING THE FIRST FULL WEEKEND OF AUGUST AS NATIONAL DRINKING DAYS

WE RESOLVE AS FOLLOWS:

WHEREAS, the transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors is legal based on the 21st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America; and

WHEREAS, National Drinking Days is an event which recognizes and celebrates all drinking cultures that have contributed our great society; and

WHEREAS, National Drinking Days will be held on both Saturday and Sunday, starting on the first Saturday, of each August; and

WHEREAS, National Drinking Days is expected to generate billions of dollars in taxable income for all collected communities and jurisdictions; and

WHEREAS, the organizers of this holiday desire to grasp this golden opportunity to evidence the economic, historic, educational and cultural value of drinking; and

WHEREAS, we approve, authorize and recognize National Drinking Days as a holiday;

NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that we hereby declare National Drinking Days as a National Holiday.
DRINK!

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

dear_booze wrote:RESOLUTION

A RESOLUTION DECLARING THE FIRST FULL WEEKEND OF AUGUST AS NATIONAL DRINKING DAYS

WE RESOLVE AS FOLLOWS:

WHEREAS, the transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors is legal based on the 21st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America; and

WHEREAS, National Drinking Days is an event which recognizes and celebrates all drinking cultures that have contributed our great society; and

WHEREAS, National Drinking Days will be held on both Saturday and Sunday, starting on the first Saturday, of each August; and

WHEREAS, National Drinking Days is expected to generate billions of dollars in taxable income for all collected communities and jurisdictions; and

WHEREAS, the organizers of this holiday desire to grasp this golden opportunity to evidence the economic, historic, educational and cultural value of drinking; and

WHEREAS, we approve, authorize and recognize National Drinking Days as a holiday;

NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that we hereby declare National Drinking Days as a National Holiday.

Well now that shit sounds official.I'm in. When does that start again
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:Well now that shit sounds official.I'm in. When does that start again
National Drinking Days is this weekend. But I was so exited that I started on Wednesday.
DRINK!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

I can tell that day one of National Drinking Days was a success from the amount of broken glass on my street. Apparently, we ended the night with a spirited game of "let's see who can throw these empty beer bottles the farthest."
DRINK!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

dear_booze wrote:I can tell that day one of National Drinking Days was a success from the amount of broken glass on my street. Apparently, we ended the night with a spirited game of "let's see who can throw these empty beer bottles the farthest."
is a good game
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Day two of National Drinking Days was a little quieter than day one, yet still successful.

I scribbled some notes on a bar napkin...but I have no idea what they mean:

"What cut of meat is best to send to friends as an apology?"

"Kayak is spelled the same way forward and back. [So is "go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog".]"

"Call Tahoe."

"I can tell by looking at her that she's fat."
DRINK!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

The first annual National Drinking Days was a success. At least for me and the friends I celebrated with.

It began early on Friday with a trip to Club Habanos. This is a little bar that started out about 15 years ago as a private cigar and cocktail lounge. over the years, it became less cigars and more cocktail lounge. It also became open to the public. And dirty. I met Allen and Khan and was disappointed to find they were out of Guinness. So I went straight for the Captain & Coke. Allen went for the Jameson & Soda and Kahn went for the Sapphire & Tonic.

There's not much worse than Khan and Gin. It's his evil spirit. I feel that everyone has that one spirit that makes them out of control and insane. and I believe that every true drinker knows what his is. Most non-drinkers think theirs is Tequila. And I would bet money that the friends of those non-drinkers would agree. But they probably think that Cuervo Gold is real Tequila. It's not, but it does make you punch your fiends in the face.

My evil spirit is Brandy. Yep. Brandy.

So we all start drinking too fast. "It's a marathon, not a sprint," I kept telling myself. But I kept up the fight.

By about 10 PM, we had been joined by several of our friends, with each one leaving just as quickly as they showed up. I think we scared them off with talk of dead prostitutes, death by ooga booga, and an assortment of other babble.

Eventually we got rides back to my house where we managed to polish off whatever beer I had left in my garage fridge and some Bourbon I had been saving for a special occasion.

Saturday started in the afternoon when I realized that life is hard. But it's even harder for the poor fuckers who had to dive down my street after my stupid friends and I tossed all of our empty bottles into the road. There's something special about hearing the sound of broken glass while totally loaded. But I still received the stink-eye from my neighbors while I did my best to sweep up the glass.

At 4:00 PM, Khan and his wife Lisa stopped by. Apparently, Lisa found out about the bottles and made him bring an apology gift. It was two Filet Mignons. None of us were really sure what sort of meat says I'm sorry the best. Either way, it was unnecessary but appreciated. We sat on my patio for a few hours drinking a number of beers before deciding to head to Seven for dinner and drinks.

Again, the night got away from us and we didn't stop until about 3 AM.

Sunday started much earlier than I expected. I woke up at 8 AM totally refreshed and rested.

At 10 AM, I met a couple friends at Lancer's Lounge for Bloody Marys and Irish Coffees. At 1:00 we decided to play a round of golf.

We were playing well until the booze really kicked in. Probably around the 11th hole. We finished and hit Casy's Bar for a full evening of cocktails and dice games. We came out way ahead after we devised a way to cheat other patrons out of their hard earned cash.

And now it's Monday. Only 362 drinking days left until National Drinking Days 2014.
DRINK!

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

Well shit I missed this until today. However I have tonight off, so I will commence even though I'm coming in late.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Well, how did it go? Did you you do your duty?
DRINK!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

East europe in general and Hungary in particular have an marvellous system whereby one can legitimately get absolutely trollied (very, very drunk) on one's Name-Day. Since my name day fell immediately before my dear friend (although I rib him mercilessly) One for the Frog's birthday, it meant that we, effectively had a 60 hour drunk happening every year.

Damn but I miss living in Hungary.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Palinka wrote:East europe in general and Hungary in particular have an marvellous system whereby one can legitimately get absolutely trollied (very, very drunk) on one's Name-Day. Since my name day fell immediately before my dear friend (although I rib him mercilessly) One for the Frog's birthday, it meant that we, effectively had a 60 hour drunk happening every year.

Damn but I miss living in Hungary.
I had to consult Wikipedia to figure out what Name Day is. Great system!
DRINK!