The Bender Defined (Commentary)

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: What constitues a proper bender these days?

Post by DeeboCools »

good lord, I would never attempt one near water. You are very brave and I commend you(even if it was fairly unconcious).

honestly at this point I'm not man enough. If I drink for 2 solid days, from waking up to blackout, the third day my confidence is already shaken. I see it as something I'll need to build up to.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Riddeford
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Riddeford »

Modern Drunkard wrote:Some people will tell you three days, but that's just a lost weekend. Four days is a binge. Five days is a bender. Five days. It used to be eight, but we're not as tough as our grandfathers. Five days. You must drink until you collapse and start drinking the moment you wake up. While you're awake there should always be a drink within reach. Pretend it's a crucifix and you're crashing at Dracula's pad.
Finally! You've said it best.

Most of my benders are that long and do it right but usually when I'm home in Montreal. Although a few days ago I got wasted proper at my dad's place and I don't remember anything for about 2 days. Apparently I kept falling and smashing into things. When I came to my dad was extremely pissed and worried but he was drinking martinis and I haven't heard a mention of it since.

Most people don't understand benders. I know people who get a good buzz every night. But they don't understand starting to do shots when you wake up and drinking until you fall down (assuming you don't have to be to work for that period). For some reason people seem to think you can't start drinking until after 5 or some shit. I love benders, it's not something I'd could do every day for the rest of my life, but it happens!
"This lifestyle isn't for pussies." - Fabric

Riddeford: I'm craving indian food. WTF?
Fiyah: Fuck curry. We're doing shots and do them NOW

<@Veen> First one was just a standard hangover puke.
<@Veen> Second one was when I was at lunch with my ex and had some ham that was way too dry.
<@Veen> Third one was just a bit ago when I read that vagina story.

Aquaman
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Aquaman »

Modern Drunkard wrote: Five days is a bender. Five days. It used to be eight, but we're not as tough as our grandfathers.
Speak for yourself.

I'm not only as tough. I'm tougher. Selective breeding has made me an Olympian!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I usta end up under my desk, curled up like a shrimp,.but I don't drink like that anymore.
like tears in rain

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

this summer
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

clayantony
Tippler
Tippler

Re: The Bender Defined

Post by clayantony »

ah,i like your style.i can only usually manage two or three days coz of work,bumma.
"An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do"~Dylan Thomas

ADHD
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ADHD »

Drinking every day for years is not a bender, it's a lifestyle
A damn fine one at that.

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

I haven't tried vodka-only bender yet. I think it'd be a thing of beauty and easy to manage as well.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Don't read this thread on acid!
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

EuroSlave
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by EuroSlave »

Bur wrote:I haven't tried vodka-only bender yet. I think it'd be a thing of beauty and easy to manage as well.
It's everything you think it is but better.

hereforthebeer
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: The Bender Defined (Commentary)

Post by hereforthebeer »

So I've just realise I was on a bender last week having read this which lasted for four days...
very useful article which I got from this thread is this http://www.drunkard.com/issues/05_03/05 ... ender.html

I had heart palpitations on day 3 when I was on way out to club, I admit that worried me. but seems to be a sign that I was in the throws / coming out of a successful bender. I'm curious why that happens?

day 4 nearly didn't happen but at 2pm I thought f it and bought two bottles of wine, drank them , then added a bottle of lambrini. day 4 of the bender was a sunday. I thought I'd be ok for work, went to bed at 2am but.. 6.20am it just wasn't happening... some sweating, the thought of f work came to mind, what does it all matter anyway? so Monday was the day of abstinence, felt like crap all day - but good news is I also found these boards and the site.

in summary some highlights from my bender include:

- chatting up a 19yo girl (im 31),
- dancing and not giving a damn in a pub, being given fluorescent wrist band by a kindly bloke who came in dressed like a Christmas tree and continuing on in same pub
- making random conversation with group of club leavers at bus stop, chatting about the meaning of life with them for about 15 minutes, and other late leavers that heard us and joined in.
- discovering a nightclub I never knew existed.
- finding out theres a pub near me that doesn't shut till 1am.
- finding out some nightclubs ask you for ID when you look kind of smashed after 1am.
- finding out some others, with nice lady bouncers, ask but then let you in anyway when you say "do I really need that?"

lows

- it has to end (well.. for me it did... but i'm learning still)
- feeling like crap on first day of sobre, and actually feeling a bit depressed to.
- spending all my money in 4 days.

summary.

- great memories. great experiences. if I could change any of it I wouldn't.
- first day back to work after 2 days off - (start/end of bender) - out of way, and i'm feeling pretty normal again now, just a bit hot.

I think this was a mini bender, maybe.

but then again being alone has been mentioned a few times here, not sure if out alone in pubs etc counts, in which case I qualify, or if a bender is only a bender if your drinking on ur own in a house / hotel etc, in which case this wont count =(

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I'd describe that as a jag (which I use to cover most bender behaviour without the full time dedication) A shorter time period still would be a skite or razz
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Mr. Sandman wrote:I'd describe that as a jag (which I use to cover most bender behaviour without the full time dedication) A shorter time period still would be a skite or razz
Yuppers!
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

hereforthebeer wrote:So I've just realise I was on a bender last week having read this which lasted for four days...
very useful article which I got from this thread is this http://www.drunkard.com/issues/05_03/05 ... ender.html

I had heart palpitations on day 3 when I was on way out to club, I admit that worried me. but seems to be a sign that I was in the throws / coming out of a successful bender. I'm curious why that happens?

day 4 nearly didn't happen but at 2pm I thought f it and bought two bottles of wine, drank them , then added a bottle of lambrini. day 4 of the bender was a sunday. I thought I'd be ok for work, went to bed at 2am but.. 6.20am it just wasn't happening... some sweating, the thought of f work came to mind, what does it all matter anyway? so Monday was the day of abstinence, felt like crap all day - but good news is I also found these boards and the site.

in summary some highlights from my bender include:

- chatting up a 19yo girl (im 31),
- dancing and not giving a damn in a pub, being given fluorescent wrist band by a kindly bloke who came in dressed like a Christmas tree and continuing on in same pub
- making random conversation with group of club leavers at bus stop, chatting about the meaning of life with them for about 15 minutes, and other late leavers that heard us and joined in.
- discovering a nightclub I never knew existed.
- finding out theres a pub near me that doesn't shut till 1am.
- finding out some nightclubs ask you for ID when you look kind of smashed after 1am.
- finding out some others, with nice lady bouncers, ask but then let you in anyway when you say "do I really need that?"

lows

- it has to end (well.. for me it did... but i'm learning still)
- feeling like crap on first day of sobre, and actually feeling a bit depressed to.
- spending all my money in 4 days.

summary.

- great memories. great experiences. if I could change any of it I wouldn't.
- first day back to work after 2 days off - (start/end of bender) - out of way, and i'm feeling pretty normal again now, just a bit hot.

I think this was a mini bender, maybe.

but then again being alone has been mentioned a few times here, not sure if out alone in pubs etc counts, in which case I qualify, or if a bender is only a bender if your drinking on ur own in a house / hotel etc, in which case this wont count =(

whatever this was brother.....it sounds like a good fucking time!!! carry it one!
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Hardcore Stig wrote:I've read most of the thread but as always, there's simply too much to take it all inso I'll just post my opinion from what I've read (forgive any ignorance or repetition):

The bender should last a minimum of 7 days, it is the duration that defines it as much as the spirit, like a marathon and a sprint, both are runs to reach the end but only the marathon is the testament to endurance. We have shorter sessions, the lost weekend, the booze up, the benderette, but as with running, only one is the true long haul.

The spirit is also part of it. Drinking every day for years is not a bender, it's a lifestyle, the Bender involves a level of abandonment of regular behaviour, saying fuck you to conforrmity and breaking the bonds that regulate us, as Oggar indicates consequences are all part of the bender, it shows that caution was thrown to the wind and the moment was key.

Finally, for me, a bender should be prone to failure, to fully plan a bender is to break it's spirit. Every year, for my birth week I pledge to travel, visiting friends and pursuing the bender. I am the sole participent, the rest are simply on a night out or two but it means it's falable, it's dependent on factors out of my control but should it be achieved, I can slip into work after that week feeling a better man for it and knowing I've achieve something most those around me will never even contemplate. For that week, my legend is improved and in the future those that witnessed it will look upon events with a note of wishing, that they too could be part of the whole event, a machine rather than a cog.

also....this is class. i couldn't have put it better myself brother!!
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis