Pumping Iron and Alcohol

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rev. Dead Corpse
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Pumping Iron and Alcohol

Post by Rev. Dead Corpse »

Oh... Well... That's a relief...

T-Nation article on Weight training and Alcohol consumption.

I've been an off again-on again weight lifter since high school some 30 years ago. Quite a bit more 'off' than 'on', but currently very much 'on'.

Doc told me hypertension would kill me if I didn't make some changes. Eating/drinking less sounded boring. So back into the gym I went. I now eat/drink "smarter", but still with all the gusto that a personality like mine requires. Cholesterol is still a concern, but at least my heart isn't going to pop an artery in my skull...

Skol!
<insert something profound here>

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Pumping Iron and Alcohol

Post by Mr. Viking »

when I used to do athletics most people drank a lot, and I pretty much stopped athletics when I turned 18. In hockey, some of the guys who took it seriously didn't drink, but I think it was a control issue for them, they wanted to be in control of everything all the time. I could never see a difference between them and the people who did drink. I know a few ex olympic hockey players and they certainly drink a lot. They weren't allowed to drink during certain training periods, but again, I think that it is more a discipline and control issue than the alcohol seriously affecting performance. After stopping athletics I haven't really played any sport in a serious way, I have played for teams, but never being competitive, so I can't really tell if alcohol affects my performance. My mood is usually the most important factor
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Rev. Dead Corpse
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Trying to talk yourself into maxing out on the squat rack has zero appeal whilst hung over.

Yes. I've "been there, done that" as the kids used to say.

Not exactly eager to revisit that experience any time soon.

My main concerns had to do with recovery. I'm aging like a pork chop left in the back of the fridge, so compounding my self flagellation in the gym with sour vodka fumes was a concern.

But, no longer. The latest word according to this article is that since I'm not a competitor, and have no desire to be, that my current level of imbiber-y is well within sustainable limits.

This is cause for celebration!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I certainly feel weaker with a hangover, and I sweat a lot more, but I think that it is a metaphysical weakness, as the late Sir Kingley Amis would describe it
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Rev. Dead Corpse
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Never really felt weaker, just more prone to the booze soaked brain feeling like it was trying to escape via an eye socket.

Then there's the heart palpitations, noxious gas emissions, and general lack of anything resembling coordination.

Not a good combo when lifting a quarter-ton off the floor. Humans are breakable things. I am, apparently, human this life-time and an occasional reminder is probably a good thing.

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Rev. Dead Corpse wrote:...the booze soaked brain feeling like it was trying to escape via an eye socket....
You paint a very vivid picture indeed.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

1973-1974, I was a competitive powerlifter (BP 375lbs / DL 480lbs / SQ 515lbs). Being young (21yo), I trained on hamburgers, beer and pussy.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Rev. Dead Corpse
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

booznik wrote:
Rev. Dead Corpse wrote:...the booze soaked brain feeling like it was trying to escape via an eye socket....
You paint a very vivid picture indeed.
I read entirely too much as a child. A habit I seem to be incapable of giving up. :-)

Rev. Dead Corpse
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

peetie44 wrote:1973-1974, I was a competitive powerlifter (BP 375lbs / DL 480lbs / SQ 515lbs). Being young (21yo), I trained on hamburgers, beer and pussy.
Good scores. Especially for that era. My 1RM's on those lifts are currently BP 335, DL 535, and SQ 435. Due to an unfixed torn ligament in my right shoulder, I don't train heavy on presses any more. Either bench or military.

Not so much fueled by the aforementioned substances though. I've been married for almost 18 years and prefer vodka to beer.

I do enjoy a good hamburger...

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Rev. Dead Corpse wrote:Good scores. Especially for that era.
Peetie's squat came pretty close to Ahnold's personal record of 545lb. Impressive indeed.

The Peetinator...
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Some ten years ago when I entered the basketball court on saturdays around noon, people complained that I smelled like a divebar. Huge advantage.
Lifting hung over meh, some slow cardio maybe. But that stuff is just so boooring. My stamia would thank me though
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Hung-over and lifting weights? That would burst a blood vessel in my swollen brain.

Lifting after a couple drinks? That is pretty fun. Just gotta make certain not to lose coordination with them heavy weights over your noggin. And, don't get all big feeling and tear some tendons by going brute.

Wonder if ale has amino acids? Muscles made from beer? Finally, recompense!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

One should never attempt to lift anything heavier than a damned stiff drink, when hungover.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Palinka wrote:One should never attempt to lift anything heavier than a damned stiff drink, when hungover.
I did nearly get trapped under a pile of timber while do selfsame. Nobody else was onsite and nobody would have been until the next morningThis man knows his shit

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

^ ^ ^

Let's just call him Dr. Drink from now on

Indeed.

I am going to

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze