Seagrams VO vs J&B

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Seagrams VO vs J&B

Post by Rip Rufus »

So I recently acquired a bottle of Seagrams VO and a bottle of J&B. I'm a bourbon and rye drinker, but want to work my way into scotch, especially since I was gifted a bottle of Macallen 18. In the idea of educating my palette to appreciate the good stuff, should I start with the J&B?
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Seagrams VO vs J&B

Post by mistah willies »

Rip Rufus wrote:So I recently acquired a bottle of Seagrams VO and a bottle of J&B. I'm a bourbon and rye drinker, but want to work my way into scotch, especially since I was gifted a bottle of Macallen 18. In the idea of educating my palette to appreciate the good stuff, should I start with the J&B?
Been thinking the same thing meself.

Like: Should I spoil my taste buds by starting out at the top?

Mistah man Rip Rufus, I been talkking to some of these here Drunkardists before my next foray into the peat.

Others have better knowslwedhe that the likes of this syurupy Kraken pancake dessert topping enjoyer, but indeed, Scotch is next on my menu, after I found the new love for Gin and Martinis

what say you experts!

Damn, I think sonmething is in this bottle. Got work in the moaning

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I don't know much about Scotch whisky, but blended whisk(e)ys in general are supposed to be easier to drink and smoother and less nuanced than the more expensive varieties. Also, something cheap and more common like that is less likely to make you feel guilty about having it in a mixed drink. The blends are good to be used as a "gateway liquor".

BUT, if you already have an appreciation of fine whiskey of one sort, it would be easier to develop an appreciation for a fine whisky of another sort. Either way, the journey of a hundred miles starts with the first step, grasshopper.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Your drinking order should be:
First, Seagram's VO
Second, J&B
Last (but by no means least), The Macallan

Alternately

Drink either one of the blended whiskies and finish each day's drinking with a glass or two of The Macallan (never put ice in it but adding a small amount of still mineral water (at no less than a few degrees below room temperature) is recommended by many Single Malt distillers and tasters, as a way of really bring out the flavour) or, indeed, start your drinking with a glass or two of the The Macallan and then move on to the other whiskies.

Whichever method you decide upon, you will enjoy a fine whisky and a fine time. So go to and enjoy.

Cheers!
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Palinka wrote:Your drinking order should be:
First, Seagram's VO
Second, J&B
Last (but by no means least), The Macallan

Alternately

Drink either one of the blended whiskies and finish each day's drinking with a glass or two of The Macallan (never put ice in it but adding a small amount of still mineral water (at no less than a few degrees below room temperature) is recommended by many Single Malt distillers and tasters, as a way of really bring out the flavour) or, indeed, start your drinking with a glass or two of the The Macallan and then move on to the other whiskies.

Whichever method you decide upon, you will enjoy a fine whisky and a fine time. So go to and enjoy.

Cheers!

Yessah mistah Man

Now, about that Macallan

Indeed.

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

VO is Canadian blended whiskey and has nothing, comparison-wise, to do with Scotch whisky. However, J&B is a nice, mid-priced blended Scotch and might be a good way to work your way into that Maccallan 18, which is a very nice Highland single-malt; smooth and not overly peaty like an Islay malt.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I tired the blends as a way to get started into Scotch. For me it was a big mistake. All the blends seem to have too much going on in them and became muddy and, well, the shit tasted like a foot. Stayed away from them for years.

Then one day while at a local paintball field an old paintballing/drinking buddy were resting off the field in between games. All the kids and young guys gathered about us checking out our old school brass guns and asking a lot of questions about the early days of the game. The next game was called, which we declined to join, begging off as old men who need a longer break. We watched them ramble out of the staging area toward the field of play. My buddy brandished his flask and said "Now that the kids have gone, care for a snort?"

"Hell yes!" came my eager reply. "What's in it?"

With a huge grin he answered" Laphroaig 25."

Shit I thought. Scotch. What the hell, it's free. I raised it to my lips and took a quick pull.

The clouds parted and a single ray of sunshine shone upon me from the Heavens. This, THIS, is what Scotch is about.

Been a single malt man ever since. At least when I'm drinking Scotch.

*disclaimer* this is my personal preference. your results may vary.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice