Are bums our gods?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Are bums our gods?

Post by Hugh »

I was trying to walk briskly to the alcohol section of CVS Pharmacy yesterday to get my two boxes of wine, but I was stuck behind a slow-moving bum. It turns out that he was headed to the alcohol section, too. He knew exactly what he wanted - Gran Legacy vodka, the cheapest booze in the place. I know that it's the cheapest because I, just like that bum, had gone carefully over all the prices of all the boozes there to maximize my buying potential. The bum was skinny and disheveled, dirty ill fitting clothes, long shaggy hair, noticeable body odor. But he grabbed his bottle of vodka and went straight to the register to pay. The cashier seemed to know him, they greeted each other with friendly smiles, I think the cashier might have called him by name, but I'm not sure, I couldn't overheat them very well. I don't think I've seen that bum in my neighborhood before. We have a regular crowd of bums that hang around here, there are three liquor stores all right next to each other on this block and across the street. They serve as bum magnets. So if this bum is a neighborhood resident, he is doing a good job of keeping out of sight, a skill that good bums develop to keep themselves from getting arrested/cited all the time.

He looked to be about 60 years old, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out he is actually 20 years younger. The life of a hard drinking urban outdoorsman probably ages one. But he's living the life. Just his booze and no work. But how can someone put up with all the shit of being homeless in a big city, just because you like to drink so much? Wouldn't it be easier just to delay the gratification of drunkenness by working to earn money to pay rent? That's kind of why I do it. But then maybe the bum would probably ask, how can someone put up with all the shit of holding down a job? He's doing what's important to him, he's doing what he loves. Getting drunk. And getting drunk is a pretty high priority to a lot of people. He's doing it better than anyone else.

Whatever happens to these guys? Since they didn't live a life of work, they don't have much in the way of a pension, and no money for health insurance. Living on the streets of a filthy city can't be too healthy. I guess the city just cremates them after their final drunk.

BTW, when I was doing research for a fictional story I was writing, I found out that there is a law in San Diego that requires the next of kin to claim a dead body. You can be fined for failing to claim it and pay the costs. But apparently it isn't enforced.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Are bums our gods?

Post by Badfellow »

Hugh, you write some thoughtful things from time to time, and this is no exception. Bums are those gods who walk amongst us freed from expectation and the shackles of the rat race.

I was once given a piece of prudent advice from a bum. He told me that he'd wasted twenty years of his life with a wife and a steady white collar job, and decided that it was not to his liking. His happiness was better found in the freedom of drinking around the fire with friends and migrating wherever he pleased for the colder months of winter. His advice was "you better damn well like what you're doing in life because it's the only thing you truly own."
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

I remember watching a show on TV where they profiled this hotel in Seattle that caters to homeless drunks. They even give the drunks a ration of beer every day to keep them from DTing. Their rationale is that it's better for them this way, and for everyone else, to give them a place to stay. I think it's a good idea.

Sad thing about the bums, like the one you described, is they have no mailing address or bank account, so they can't receive food stamps or get disability checks. I have a good friend who lived the bum life for many years. I took him in just long enough to get him food stamps and find his ass a lawyer so he could get disability. Now he has his own small efficiency apartment, gets health care, food stamps, and gets enough extra disability money every month, after his rent is paid, to buy booze and weed, so he is happy. Ironically, it seems the apartment complex he lives in is occupied by a lot of people like him, so he doesn't get lonely. He calls his apartment building the island of misfits. LOL!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Same liquor store - a different bum.

As I was walking over, this bum was in the rear parking lot, apparently just waking up and staggering to life. Less than a few minutes later, there he was in the booze aisle with me as I as on my hands and knees getting my Kessler. I go get in line.

The bum decided to skip the line, and walked right out the door with his tall can of Modelo, just as I made it up to the register. I laughed and asked the clerk if he saw the guy walk out with a can of beer. Two of the clerks ran outside and retrieved the store's property. The bum would have gotten away with it if not that meddling customer at the register.

The bum's gotta pay just like everybody else. Just like me, just like the bum I talked about in the OP. It's not like I care if CVS Pharmacy loses a can of Modelo to shoplifting, but the scene was so funny I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I don't think I'm a rat. Not really. Maybe I could have kept my mouth shut.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

The 1.75 liter bottle of Kessler was 13.99 on sale, marked down from the regular price of 18.99. The only other whiskey cheaper was the generic no-name brand, and it was only one dollar cheaper. My long-gone mentor on thrift and frugality might disapprove of me spending an extra dollar on whiskey. But there's something about Kessler. I like the look of the bottle. I like being able to say, "I poured the Kessler last night." If I bought the generic, I'd have to say, "I poured the no-name whiskey last night." Just thinking about the bottle of Kessler waiting for me at home motivates me to work harder and faster so that I get done sooner. That extra dollar is worth it.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

You bought it, you name it.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:03 pm
You bought it, you name it.
This. Every night you could have a "different" whiskey. High end, low end. Don't matter.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Well, tonight I'm going to close my eyes and pretend that I'm drinking some of the 60 yr Macallan single malt scotch that recently sold at auction for over $1 million. After all, I am, in my own mind, a billionaire.