Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

Post by Hugh »

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

A poem from an underground poet. "Dickhead" by Wayne F Burke

https://www.facebook.com/1062866773/vid ... 4795144068

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Here's a poem from a guy who spent 30 days in County: https://www.facebook.com/hugh.blanton.1 ... 4925947338

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Hugh wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:30 am
in the woods for 27 years witout seeing anohter human vbeing.
That`s nuts! How did he survive? Have you ever watched Into The Wild?
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

oettinger wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:47 am
Hugh wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:30 am
in the woods for 27 years witout seeing anohter human vbeing.
That`s nuts! How did he survive? Have you ever watched Into The Wild?
Yep, watched it. Let's do this shit

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Good luck with eating, and wiping your ass, and getting drunk, and other frivolous stuff.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Merchant Seaman »

I have seen into the wild, and read the book.

Back to drinking alone, in a quiet slightly dark room, I start, as I start every Whiskey by smelling it, inhaling it deeply, then taking a sip, to taste, to feel, then slowly drink, letting the Water Of Life warm my soul, feel my soul expand, feel the liquor take me, as my mind wanders.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:13 pm
Saturday night solo crew checking in. Tonight is the last night of a ten day bender. I don't feel the least bit worn down, I don't feel the least bit sick of drinking. Even Bukowksi never indicated (in anything I've ever read of him - letters or poems) that he ever went more than about four days before getting the blahs.

79 years ago today Virginia Woolf wrote in her diary that she had spent much of the day reading the last year's worth of diary entries. She had been depressed, but after reading her own diary that day, she said she felt "composed." As to why it made her feel better, she said this: "I think it shows one a stretch, when one's grubbing in an inch." I think she means that as you are living life, you are too close to it. But when you look back over a year's worth of your life via your diary, you see it all at a stretch. I've found that to be true in my own case. I have diary entries going back to the early 1990s. And to put a quantitative measure on how a diary can help you, in 2007 I was dead broke, literally a net worth of zero. By 2012 I was worth a little over $42K. That was a direct result of daily journaling and getting my mind focused on the things I need to do and the things I shouldn't do. Nobody ever asks me for advice on anything, and that's with good reason. Why ask a loser for his advice on anything? But as I showed here with my own personal finances, a diary is invaluable. I think everybody should keep one, I don't think there is a problem in the world that can't be solved with journaling.

Okay, off my soapbox. Until next time.
Quoting myself here for the sake of why I value notebooks/journaling so much.

Last Sunday I had a vomiting hangover that was so bad I was going to call in sick to work. I have never in my life called in sick to work for a hangover, and I'm 56 years old. However, I got myself up and made it in. The thing that got me up was my notebook. Just thinking about how I wanted to get up and write in it about this horrible hangover and missing work work made me get up on time to get to work.

BTW - my hands were so shaky that morning it looks like it was written by someone 90 years old with Parkinson's.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by oettinger »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:07 pm

Quoting myself here for the sake of why I value notebooks/journaling so much.

Last Sunday I had a vomiting hangover that was so bad I was going to call in sick to work. I have never in my life called in sick to work for a hangover, and I'm 56 years old. However, I got myself up and made it in. The thing that got me up was my notebook. Just thinking about how I wanted to get up and write in it about this horrible hangover and missing work work made me get up on time to get to work.

BTW - my hands were so shaky that morning it looks like it was written by someone 90 years old with Parkinson's.
My writing looks like a first grader in his first learning steps while guzzling vodka being on his first crack de-tox
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Yesterday one of the Drunkards Skyped me, but he quickly grew bored with my minimal participation. At one point he asked, "If you weren't on this call with me right now, would you still be sitting there drinking and staring at that wall?" I told him I would. Within a few minutes he was mentioning how late it was and he had to get going.

A few months back I was playing around with Facebook video, and I accidentally recorded myself for an hour and fourteen minutes - doing nothing but drinking and staring at the wall. I was drunk when I recorded it, and have no memory of doing it. I only found it when I scrolled back through the posts in the Facebook group where I made the video. It had been up for maybe a week or so, but nobody mentioned it, nobody asked what the hell I was trying to do. They must have thought there is something wrong with me. (I deleted the video when I found it.)

So I guess I can understand why people would think that someone who drinks alone is imbalanced. But I really believe it's the best way to get loaded. Nothing against people who love to drink with their friends/families/lovers, but I just prefer an empty room with my bottle.

BTW, I once wrote an essay titled The Art of Solo Drinking and Dear Booze published it on his website: https://dearboozecocktales.blogspot.com ... nking.html

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Say for the sake of curiosity… you are planning to spend 1 month solo in the deep wilderness. What do pack for booze?
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Badfellow wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:59 pm
Say for the sake of curiosity… you are planning to spend 1 month solo in the deep wilderness. What do pack for booze?
Someone going on a one month hike wouldn't pack any booze, I imagine.

One of the reasons I keep telling myself that I can NOT move to an isolated desert cabin is that I wouldn't be able to store a sufficient quantity of booze. Let's say you can only make supply runs twice a year, well you'd need six months worth of booze. On top of that, if any of the desertbillies found out I was hording booze, they'd attack and kill me. Also, booze would be ruined in temperatures above 120 degrees, and it stays about 120 for weeks at a time in the high desert.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Not a hike, necessarily.

The reason I ask is that, when I was much younger, I spent about 3 months of summer and early fall camped out in a large national forest. You know, living in a tent and taking baths in lakes. In those days I allowed for 8 liters of whiskey to last me a month (a little more than I thought I needed plus extra should any guests show up; there were a couple of other acquaintances camping in the "neighborhood" who would occasionally visit). More whiskey and other goodies came with monthly supply drops by boat that had been prearranged before departure. It all worked out pretty well given the amount of shit that could have gone wrong.

If you’re going to do your desert thing, you need a dugout or a cellar to keep your precious supplies at a lower, even temperature.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ