Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Sammy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:01 am

That's why I have to be in just the right mood to skype. I'm so much older than most of you that I feel like that creepy old guy that shows up at a frat party looking to pick up chicks. Nobody knows who I am , and everyone is afraid to ask, so they just stare.

Wait a minute...aren't all the dudes on drunkard Skype creepy old guys?! If not then I'm in the wrong place.
Okole maluna!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:50 am
Sammy wrote:

That's why I have to be in just the right mood to skype. I'm so much older than most of you that I feel like that creepy old guy that shows up at a frat party looking to pick up chicks. Nobody knows who I am , and everyone is afraid to ask, so they just stare.

Wait a minute...aren't all the dudes on drunkard Skype creepy old guys?! If not then I'm in the wrong place.
I know I am. Creepy and old. Likely not in the right place either.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by oldsmartskunk »

Creepy and old... We are all getting there

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

oldsmartskunk wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:44 pm

Getting there? Dude I'm there.

Pleased to meet you. Do you know my name?

oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by oldsmartskunk »

Sammy wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:11 pm
oldsmartskunk wrote:

Yup. Creepy drunk old dude . I'm creepy middle aged dude .

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Sammy wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:11 pm
oldsmartskunk wrote:

Careful what u say there mate
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

I'm never alone when there's a bottle.
Hey there friend, wanna neck?

Sammy, if you're saying that you're Ript, I'll come visit ya

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Patchez wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:06 pm
Artful Drunktective wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:50 am
Sammy wrote:

I know I am. Creepy and old. Likely not in the right place either.
When i was younger, ladies used to check me out.
Nowadays, they just keep an eye on me.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Started on Skype..... Now it's a solo mission... wait.... I heard an owl out back. I got back up.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Went on a solo mission last night after getting done early with work. It was a beer and whiskey night. When I tried to listen to music in my laptop, one side of the headphones was cutting in and out. It's always done that a little bit, but now stereo sound barely works at all. I tried to dig out a headphone extension cord to see if that would help, but it didn't. And not only that, I woke up to shit from my cabinet where the headphones were strewn all about. There was even an old TV antenna slammed across the room and broken apart. The coffee finished brewing before I could get everything cleaned up. There's still empty beer cans and an empty whiskey bottle to clean up. I'll get to it later.

EDIT TO ADD: Fuck, I even smashed my USB headphone adapter. I have a vague memory of it not working either.

Shot Time
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Shot Time »

Tonight’s menu: Woodford Reserve and a gorgeous ribeye from a local meat market. This is, of course, after 1 bottle of wine. I’m a wino now.
Use to be cool

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

You are not supposed to buy/read books based on recommendations/reviews. It is supposedly sign of weakness to do so. At least that's the impression I've got from fellow readers. So I rarely admit to doing it, even though I do it quite frequently. Back when the government imposed lockdowns on businesses in order to keep people from getting sick, I made it a point to patronize the businesses in my neighborhood that were trying to stay open. One of those is my bookstore. They have a website you can order their books from. I hit the "browse" button and the first thing on the page was a "staff recommendation" for a book called "Cold Mountain." I bought it without a second thought. Why not? I had just had a direct deposit of $1200 straight from Donald Trump himself as part of his stimulus package. "Cold Mountain" and a couple of other books I wanted arrived within a week. Fuck.

I never buy war fiction - books about the American Civil War or WW II because they've been overplayed. How many fucking stories can you get about lovers separated/reunited by war? It's a fucking cliche. And that's what this goddamb Cold Mountain was, a book about the American Civil Fucking War. Lovers separated. Tragedy. Blah blah blah. As I'm reading the fucking thing I have images in my mind of taking it back to the bookstore, mask properly affixed to my face, and throwing it at whatever staff member happens to be standing behind the cash register at the time.

But before I could get my revenge, something happened. In the book, that is. The main character, a wounded deserter, is walking around for miles and miles and months and months looking for his fucking long lost lover. Blah blah blah. He's up on a mountain when he comes across a woman who lives alone in a caravan with a small herd of goats. She's also a herbalist, and has the medicines to cure him of his multiple wounds. At one point during his stay/recovery with her up on that mountain she tells him that she packs up and moves whenever the urge hits her. The soldier then asks her, "How long have you been here?" She isn't sure, so she consults the diaries she has on a shelf in her caravan in order to give him an accurate answer. After thumbing through a few volumes of her notebooks, she says, "26 years."

We don't know the woman's name, she's known only as the goatwoman. But we know a lot about her, living alone on a mountain and extending kindness to some poor bastard who just happened to come across her. That's what loners do. Most people think of loners as mail bombers and sadistic perverts. But it ain't so. Those people aren't loners, they're rejects. Ted Kacinsky isn't entitled to the title of loner - he's a fucking reject. People like me - and people like the goatwoman - we are loners. I have enough sanity - for the moment at least - to know that the goatwoman was a fictional character that never existed. But undoubtedly there have been many who were just like her. People with the strength of mind to not need anyone else.

So this book, Cold Mountain, I would like to recommend it to you. It's 400 pages of fucking war cliche, but there are five good pages in there about the goatwoman that make it worthwhile. And frankly, the book didn't really suck all that bad. It's just so fucking cheap for a writer to use a war as a backdrop to a story. Fuck man, you could have written this story without the Civil Fucking War, why the fuck did you steal it?

So here's to the solo drinker, alone in a tiny room at the end of another horrible workweek. May we have the strength of character to help the helpless bastards that come across us.

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

Fuck, I've been reading books recommended to me all this time without knowing it makes me intellectually deficient.

I've been feeling a little blue today, not sure what for, probably the fucking miserable weather. Not getting enough of that sun or whatnot. That's what happens right? That's why the Finnish are... well Finnish right? Maybe. Who knows? Not I Rabbi.

Anyway, I've closed my curtains. I'm listening to some music and necking a bottle of Lambs Navy Rum I got for £14. They say you shouldn't drink alone and you shouldn't drink when your mood is less than ideal. I say fuck them, get hammered alone, and bathe in your misery. Even if it is futile. As futile as a flaccid phallus. It's good for your skin and your phallus. It is good for the skin on your phallus, assuming you still have that. You might not. You might not have a phallus at all for all I know. Anyway, before I spend an even more concerning amount of time talking about penises (wouldn't it be better if penis had a funnier plural like "Penii?") or foreskins let me move on with this drunken ramble.

This Lambs Navy Rum bottle feels great in your hand, it has got this great hexagon shape that narrows up to the spout of the bottle. I’m usually one to pour into some glassware, but all you guys love to drink straight out of the bottle like you’re on the set of a spaghetti western. I like that. IS THAT YOU JOHN WAYNE? Anyway, for tonight, at least, I too shall be John Wayne. Or a mustacheless Lee Van Cliff. Loved that guy. The rum in the bottle is not particularly good, but alas I shall still quaff.
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Galahad Threepwood
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Galahad Threepwood »

The worst thing about martinis is that the very last sip, at the bottom of the glass, after the olive has been eaten and the gin and the vermouth and the brine have spent some time mellowing together and are now absolutely bosom pals, is by far the best sip of the entire drink, far surpassing even that first super-chilled sip right when it's fresh from the shaker in richness and complexity of flavor, and immediately stirs in one the desire for yet another martini. And then another after that, and so forth and so on.

This is also the best thing about martinis.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:20 pm
Fuck, I've been reading books recommended to me all this time without knowing it makes me intellectually deficient.

I've been feeling a little blue today, not sure what for, probably the fucking miserable weather. Not getting enough of that sun or whatnot. That's what happens right? That's why the Finnish are... well Finnish right? Maybe. Who knows? Not I Rabbi.

Anyway, I've closed my curtains. I'm listening to some music and necking a bottle of Lambs Navy Rum I got for £14. They say you shouldn't drink alone and you shouldn't drink when your mood is less than ideal. I say fuck them, get hammered alone, and bathe in your misery. Even if it is futile. As futile as a flaccid phallus. It's good for your skin and your phallus. It is good for the skin on your phallus, assuming you still have that. You might not. You might not have a phallus at all for all I know. Anyway, before I spend an even more concerning amount of time talking about penises (wouldn't it be better if penis had a funnier plural like "Penii?") or foreskins let me move on with this drunken ramble.

This Lambs Navy Rum bottle feels great in your hand, it has got this great hexagon shape that narrows up to the spout of the bottle. I’m usually one to pour into some glassware, but all you guys love to drink straight out of the bottle like you’re on the set of a spaghetti western. I like that. IS THAT YOU JOHN WAYNE? Anyway, for tonight, at least, I too shall be John Wayne. Or a mustacheless Lee Van Cliff. Loved that guy. The rum in the bottle is not particularly good, but alas I shall still quaff.
When I say don't drink when depressed, I mean you feel so depressed that you don't want to drink anyway. For run of the mill blues and blahs, solo drinking is an excellent salve.

The 750 ml bottles of whiskey are perfect for necking. It's also a good size to take to bed with you. Of course the 1.75 liter bottle is more economical, but it's too large to drink straight from. The pours get sloppier as the night goes on, and it is always necessary to wipe up the little ephemeral rings on table the next day.

One of my bars just posted on Facebook. I almost didn't recognize the bartender because of her mask. And of course the post said, "MASK! MASK! MASK!" They have a wooden platform over the street parking space out front and it looks like it can seat about 8 or 10 people. They even moved a big screen TV out there for the 8 to 10 people to watch. All of my bars have a similar setup, but I visit none of them. Until I can go in and sit on a bar stool for my customary 5 to 6 hours, I'm not going.