Seasonal Beers

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

BOTW - Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

Post by Resident Asshole »

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

I have had most other Leinenkugel beers, but this is the first time I've had this one. It was tasty, but I only had a sampler and I do not think I would want to drink an entire pint, let alone buy more than that at the store. It was overwhelmingly fruity, most of it orange, so if you like Oberon or Blue Moon you *might* like this beer.

However, I would personally recommend trying other Leinenkugel beers before this one, such as their Red or one of their numerous ales.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/leinenkuge ... eat/57459/
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

drunkin' Wisconsinite
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by drunkin' Wisconsinite »

You are right on the money with this one. Try a sampler if you must and then move on to the good Leinenkugel beers such as the Big Butt Bock or the North Woods Lager if you can get them. The Sunset Wheat is for the Yuppies that hang out in Minocqua WI shopping the "quaint little stores" and buying drift wood artifacts for their friends back in Illinois.

Barca

Post by Barca »

I have yet to try a Leinenkugel that I enjoy. Their heart seems to be in the right place but they all taste to me like watered down macrobrew versions of good beers. When I was in the area I greatly preferred Schell's, Summit, and the real traditional German-style beers in Wisconsin.

I do second the Blue Moon comparison since that stuff is just Coors' attempt to trick people into thinking they're capable of making beer.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

TravisBickle
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by TravisBickle »

I like Sunset Wheat, and maybe being a wisconsinite sort of swayed me that way. I definitely taste orange or citrus, but the overwhelming flavor that keeps it from being a good session beer is the blueberry.

I enjoy pretty much all of the Leinenkugel products, although I wouldn't hold any of their beers up as the standard of any style. I agree with Barca's saying that they all kind of taste like a watered down version of a good beer, although watered down isn't what I'd call it, over carbonated I guess.
Hate life all you want; it's still the best place to get a well mixed martini. - Palinka

if i were weromhg proper dootholes, the expreassionon your faxe would make me lk iy.. don't bother cZklllingm i gave a fiver to the chick with the wh9kzewrs. - bluebottle

Resident Asshole

The thing is, as someone who will be serving the product, I know that Leinen hits their target market. I like real beer, but a lot of my customers prefer a watered down version so that they can think they drink good beer.

That's cool, I slowly introduce them to good beers, and if it wasn't for crossover beers such as this, they might have never tried local IPAs or the like. Shoot, I myself never knew how much Killian's sucked for quite a while. However, it got me into real Irish Reds.

I wish that I lived in a demographic that was initially open to great beer, but the fact is that here they have to go through a training wheels period, and that's ok. Drunkards in training.
Bourbon is my blood.

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Barca

Post by Barca »

That's a good point. I went through the whole arc of beer flavors when I was learning to drink. From "anything I could get my hands on" to malt liquor to Bud Dry to Corona to Fosters to Sam Adams to the miraculous world of American microbrews and fine craft imports.

I remember in college we'd get a keg of something like Bud Light and a keg of Newcastle. The Bud would be gone in an hour and a half and we'd be drinking the Newcastle all the next day. It was disappointing and sad.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Just for the record: Jacon Leinenkugel Brewing Co. was purchased by Miller in 1988.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

TravisBickle
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by TravisBickle »

Badfellow wrote:Just for the record: Jacon Leinenkugel Brewing Co. was purchased by Miller in 1988.
While that may be true, to the best of my knowledge, the beers are still brewed in Chippewa Falls, far away from Miller Lite. The Leinenkugel family is still involved too. I think the Brewmaster is a Leinenkugel.

If what you're trying to say is that Leinie's being part of a big company like Miller is making the Beer worse, I'm not sure how much creedence I'd give that. All Miller did was put advertising behind the Leinenkugel product... The Leinenkugels claim that their recipes haven't changed (other than the Berry Weiss which in the off season now uses elderberry juice instead of berries) since the company began. Now, how true is that? I don't know. All I can do is take their word for it because I hadn't tasted their beers before a few years ago. If I start second guessing the people who supply me with any amount of my alcohol, my life and my whole way of thinking will be shattered.
Hate life all you want; it's still the best place to get a well mixed martini. - Palinka

if i were weromhg proper dootholes, the expreassionon your faxe would make me lk iy.. don't bother cZklllingm i gave a fiver to the chick with the wh9kzewrs. - bluebottle

Resident Asshole

Advertising is key, that's why we can sell Leinen for the price of a Miller product. I dunno about the quality, it seems the same to me, for better or for worse.
Bourbon is my blood.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

RupertPupkin wrote:
Badfellow wrote:Just for the record: Jacon Leinenkugel Brewing Co. was purchased by Miller in 1988.
While that may be true, to the best of my knowledge, the beers are still brewed in Chippewa Falls, far away from Miller Lite. The Leinenkugel family is still involved too. I think the Brewmaster is a Leinenkugel.

If what you're trying to say is that Leinie's being part of a big company like Miller is making the Beer worse, I'm not sure how much creedence I'd give that. All Miller did was put advertising behind the Leinenkugel product... The Leinenkugels claim that their recipes haven't changed (other than the Berry Weiss which in the off season now uses elderberry juice instead of berries) since the company began. Now, how true is that? I don't know. All I can do is take their word for it because I hadn't tasted their beers before a few years ago. If I start second guessing the people who supply me with any amount of my alcohol, my life and my whole way of thinking will be shattered.
That bit of above posted info was provided just for the record, as I said. Read into it however you want.

But now that we are into it, I have well founded reasons to dislike Miller, Anheiser Busch and Coors. Is it because they directly or indirectly provide funding to groups such as MADD? Is it the nazi-esque "share of mind" they impose on their distributors? Or maybe it's the fact that they've been known to gobble micro and regional breweries whole only to shit out the same homogenous, assimilated, piss-swill, barely-barley beer? Take your pick.

I really don't have anything against Leinie, but Miller can go to hell. And ultimately there are about 1,000,001 better choices for Wisconsin made beer. The state is full of them. My dollar will go toward the mortgage payment of a brewer I know and drink with rather than into the coffers of Miller SAB.

This is all just my humble opinion which I stand by unflinchingly.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Arcadia Brewing Co. London Porter

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I got a six of this because its perfect porter weather and there's a picture of Sir Winston on the label. This stuff is great. It's super powerful for a porter at 7.2%ABV, has tons of flavor and body. I give it three tentacles up.

http://www.arcadiabrewingcompany.com/

“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

We shall never surrender!

This is a great ale. Two fingers up for victory. I could only further aspire to find it on tap.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Here's a question that I don't feel like looking up: Are porters tradtionally not very powerful in the alcohol department? Someone told me that they usually weren't very strong and I never questioned that.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

slipperyyoke
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by slipperyyoke »

Fabrique Nationale wrote:Here's a question that I don't feel like looking up: Are porters tradtionally not very powerful in the alcohol department? Someone told me that they usually weren't very strong and I never questioned that.
This should help you out FN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_(beer)

It must be the weather, because I picked up two six packs of porter today too. Sierra Nevada Porter and Smuttynose Robust Porter.

Cheers!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Fabrique Nationale wrote:Here's a question that I don't feel like looking up: Are porters tradtionally not very powerful in the alcohol department? Someone told me that they usually weren't very strong and I never questioned that.
I'll reply off the top of my head and say yes, that they are traditionally ales of lesser strength brewed for "session" drinking and for all day consumption by the working fellow. Much like stout, there also exists the "Baltic" or "Imperial" porter originally brewed for export to Russian royalty of the day (up to 10% a.b.v.)