The Overholting

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

The Overholting

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Friday is Ryeday, and I drink a lot of Old Overholt, For the price it's tasty stuff and "t'will get you there". This week at the store I picked up a bottle of it and it had a red cap. I didn't think much about it but - wait yes I did think about it, I recall thinking "oh well, they must have ran out of black caps, probably something to do with the virus and China". Any way, the label looked kinda differnt as well but I grabbed a few other bottles and made my purchase.
Then last night as I working on said bottle, I look closer and the picture of the Old bastard on the label, it's different, like more detailed. He is more frown and looks meaner than normal. I compare it to an older Overholt label glued to my desk and YES! It is different. I take some more drinks and look closer, and at the bottom of the label it says "43% ALC/VOL (86 PROOF)". HEY. The OO I know is usually 80 proof. Did this old fuck try to distract me with a red cap and sneak in an extra 3% alcohol?
I almost always win the battle of Overholt, I've stared that fucker in the eye many a night and I know all of his moves. The meaner he looks the drunker and happier I get. It's become a whole thing. Now I believe Overholt has tried to catch me off guard, like he felt I had grown complacent.
Did he really think I was going to run away scared from a little 6 proof sucker punch? HA! Love taps. I didn't fear this extra jab NAY! I relished in the additional inebriative sweetness. I picked up the pace and stared him down, watching him get frownier as the night went on. It was another exciting evening of Drunk chat and weird Japanese music videos, I laughed, I cried, I nearly shat mesel, a rollercoaster ride straight to my personal beachfront property on blackout island. I call that a win.
But was it? Usually I have no problem killing a bottle of this cheap tasty rye. Many nights I finish him and move on to the sacred handle of Ezra Brooks (The Buffer Booze). This morning I wake and see the empty Overholt bottle but then I notice that there is still a swallow left in my glass.
Did I fail? Does this mean Overholt won?
Who gives a fuck, I dumped the last dram of rye in a glass of cold brewed coffee and threw the bottle in the trash.
Sorry to waste your time. Cheers!
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: The Overholting

Post by oettinger »

You didn`t waste my time, you stole it

from the pawn shop
Drink!

slipperyyoke
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by slipperyyoke »

Both the 86 and bonded 100 proof are now non-chill filtered as well. Beam is also releasing two new versions this Fall.

-4 year 114 proof
-11 year 92.6 proof

I'm a little concerned about what the prices are going to be on these two. I hope the 114 is similar to Old Grand-Dad 114, but with the current Bourbon market, the 11 year will probably be obscene.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

slipperyyoke wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:09 pm
with the current Bourbon market, the 11 year will probably be obscene.
Goddam hipsters driving up the bourbon prices.
Cheers slipperyyoke, good to see you.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

I can't find Old Overholt anymore. It used to be readily available, but when the stay-at-home orders hit, it evaporated from the shelves.

I was looking to rediscover my love for the old bastard, but it was all for naught.

I did find a fifth of Wolfschmidt vodka that brought me back to my early 20's, but Old Overholt was nowhere to be seen. I can't wait for everything to be over so our bottom shelf brothers and sisters can return and things can get back to normal.

I haven't talked to my buddy Ezra Brooks Rye in a month. Sure hope he's doing okay.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

It's both fun as well as perilous when Ol' Dirty Overholt gets in a head-to-head bout with Rittenhouse 100. Man can those ryebags duke it out. It's like going to Drunk Club night in the basement of Lou's, and the first rule of Drunk Club is you do not remember leaving Drunk Club.

Rye and Coke wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:53 pm
I did find a fifth of Wolfschmidt vodka that brought me back to my early 20's...
Wolfshit! That's the stuff AD was fond of punishing herself with- just add ice and a splash of Diet Sprite and transport yourself to paradise!
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Speaking Of ryes I hadn't seen in a minute, I stumbled upon a dusty bottle of Pikesville Rye. 110 proof and a tad overpriced at 70 bucks but I haven't seen it on a shelf in my neck of the woods in years.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Patchez wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:48 am
Speaking Of ryes I hadn't seen in a minute, I stumbled upon a dusty bottle of Pikesville Rye. 110 proof and a tad overpriced at 70 bucks but I haven't seen it on a shelf in my neck of the woods in years.
Hopefully the cork is sufficiently in-tact. I fear buying dusty bottles because of brittle corks.

I think scream ale and I talked about this a while ago -- memory is rusty.

The cork of the bottle of Compass Box Asyla that I bought nearly tore in half and fell into the liquid. Yikes.

Worst-case scenario, I suppose you could strain it, but who wants to do that?
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Nausea wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:23 pm

Worst-case scenario, I suppose you could strain it, but who wants to do that?
HAHA! Buck up and drink it through your teeth.