Barleywines.

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: [PISSED] Why can't I find anymore good Barleywines?!

Post by scream ale »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:57 pm
All strong beers are IPAs now, and I'm just not a fan. I mean, I can drink them, but I like my beers on the maltier side, thus my love for barleywines. But for some reason, my local booze hut (its actually a goddamn warehouse full of alcohol -- I should write something about it, it's glorious) just stopped stocking them. I don't know if it's because of their high alcohol content, or if they just went out of style. I thought they were a winter beer.

If anyone has any news on the fate of barleywine styled beers in their area/region, let me know. I know I can't be the only one.
Came across this today at the store

I didn't remember liking barley wines years ago when I first tried them but saw this today and figured what the hell. This time around I kinda liked it. Maybe they'll be in your area in the near future. Assuming they aren't already.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: [PISSED] Why can't I find anymore good Barleywines?!

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Totally agree.
Go into the city hipster microbreweries and all the shit on board are Mega hop or IPA or some shit.IPA beer was only made to survive from england to india on a boat. I do not want that.
Give me body

pretty drunk right nowe so we'll see how i feel aboot this tomorrow
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

[PISSED] Why can't I find anymore good Barleywines?!

Post by scream ale »

I like some IPAs but some of them taste like pine cone soda. Or even worse fruit juice. As far as trying something I've never had before I think I'd try a barleywine over an IPA.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Barleywines.

Post by benitobeast69 »

you guys should come over to our end in England...I'm in the opposite boat, i definitely prefer a hop forward beer to a malt forward. at the minute if i go into a tap house i recon 70% of the draft would be malt forward stuff.. stouts, porters, bw's, golden ales, etc.

don't get me wrong things will lighten up a touch over the next month or so getting into summer but IPA is almost a dead ting here now. all about that malt life.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

In the colder months I tend to go for the porters and stouts. I go for the barleywines when I can get them. But going into the warmer months I also tend to reach for the pale ales and IPAs. I'm just more adventurous with the former.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Fall is on its way and I can't goddamn wait. I haven't had a 'beer' beer in so long my stomach hurts. With the coming of Halloween, Autumn and my birthday, I'm going hard on the Barleywines, Porters and Stouts.

This is going to be some shit!
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I was hoping I'd see some barleywines near me by now. Maybe they'll randomly appear in the near future.

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

When I was a student I drank a lot of Bank's Barley Gold. I used to mainly drink it in the afternoon. 4 cans and then a really heavy nap. It was a simpler time.
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:40 pm
When I was a student I drank
Smart decision
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I was digging around in my beer bank/liquor cabinet and found a couple bottles of Founders Nemesis from their Bottle Shop series - a barleywine. I've had barleywine in my goddamn house for...I don't even know how long. Christ on a pogo stick I need to start paying attention.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

scream ale wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:17 pm
I was digging around in my beer bank/liquor cabinet and found a couple bottles of Founders Nemesis from their Bottle Shop series - a barleywine. I've had barleywine in my goddamn house for...I don't even know how long. Christ on a pogo stick I need to start paying attention.
at least it was a barleywine...I've found expensive IPA's in my garage before that I've forgotten for like a year...no one needs that in their life.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

^^ it is better to misplace a barleywine, or stout or porter, than a beer meant to be drunk fresher than fresh. Sorry man.