Barleywines.

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

[PISSED] Why can't I find anymore good Barleywines?!

Post by Rye and Coke »

All strong beers are IPAs now, and I'm just not a fan. I mean, I can drink them, but I like my beers on the maltier side, thus my love for barleywines. But for some reason, my local booze hut (its actually a goddamn warehouse full of alcohol -- I should write something about it, it's glorious) just stopped stocking them. I don't know if it's because of their high alcohol content, or if they just went out of style. I thought they were a winter beer.

If anyone has any news on the fate of barleywine styled beers in their area/region, let me know. I know I can't be the only one.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: [PISSED] Why can't I find anymore good Barleywines?!

Post by scream ale »

That's always a bummer when you can't find your favorite brews at the usual places. As far as barleywines go I haven't seen any in quite sometime. Though to be honest I don't really look for them.

Since you like maltier beers have you considered exploring the world of stouts and porters? Some of my go to's include porters from Smuttynose, Bell's, and Founder's. Victory Storm King and Founder's Breakfast Stout are a pair stouts I go for on occasion. I sometimes go for a couple of brews from Ballast Point: Sea Monster (imperial stout) and Victory at Sea (imperial porter).

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I have noticed a decline in barley wines. The New England IPAs seem to be the new in thing.

Have you explored Scotch ales and Wee Heavies? Both are similar in malt forward tastes. Also Dopplebocks are a great source of malt forward styles.

I'll second the Stouts and Porters route. Especially BBA, ( bourbon barrel aged) ones.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Barleywine isn't dead. It's just been royally hosed by the rediculous popularity of high gravity IPA. Trust me, malty beers are due to make a return. This overly hopped rubbish can only stand for so long.

R&C, you may have to take it upon yourself to accost the beer buyer of your local liquor hut and insist they put some barleywine on the shelf.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Badfellow wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:22 pm
...Trust me, malty beers are due to make a return. This overly hopped rubbish can only stand for so long...
That's some TRVTH right there pal.

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Barleywines.

Post by Patchez »

I can't recall in my present state... inebriated. Someone mentioned the lack of barleywines on the market. They had a valid point.

As a counterpoint I offer this. Brew. Your. Own.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Barleywines.

Post by oettinger »

What the heck is Maris Otter Liquid?
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Marris Otter liquid extract. The last word was continued on the next page.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Ah ok
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

So many bon mots throughout the forum that may go unnoticed unless one is properly inebriated...
oettinger wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:14 am
What the heck is Maris Otter Liquid?
Patchez wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:55 am
Marris Otter liquid extract. The last word was continued on the next page.
oettinger wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:16 am
Ah ok
The missing word is "malt"
but what is hilarious is that any of this actually makes sense

Otter juice *hiccup*

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Ha, that was me. Yeah, if I could make the stuff I damn sure would. Alas, it is now summer, so it's on to lighter fare.

Now I'm into this mead I've been drinking. I feel goddamn violent and archaic! Like a Namibian warrior with a cask of honey wine, screaming like a madman and ready for war.

Or I could just be hungry.

Yeah, I think that's it. I made spaghetti
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

1) Why use liquid/malt syrup extract when you can go all grain?

2) On heavier gravity recipes such as barleywine, you will want to oxygenate the wort before fermentation. This gives the yeast a leg up in the fuckton of work they are about to perform on your behalf.

3) Force carbonation? Personally, as a guy who holds a master brewers diploma and a BS in fermentation sciences, I piss on that. A beer that is krausened and/or bottle conditioned takes a bit longer and a bit more work but is eminently worth the results.

Anyone with a pulse, a kitchen and $150 worth of basic equipment can brew their own beer for pennies per pint. I'm always happy to help others in pursuit of such a noble endeavour.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Badfellow wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:18 pm

2) On heavier gravity recipes such as barleywine, you will want to oxygenate the wort before fermentation. This gives the yeast a leg up in the fuckton of work they are about to perform on your behalf.

3) Force carbonation? Personally, as a guy who holds a master brewers diploma and a BS in fermentation sciences, I piss on that. A beer that is krausened and/or bottle conditioned takes a bit longer and a bit more work but is eminently worth the results.

Anyone with a pulse, a kitchen and $150 worth of basic equipment can brew their own beer for pennies per pint. I'm always happy to help others in pursuit of such a noble endeavour.
The use of liquid or Dry malt extract for me cam out of a lack of equipment when I started. I only had a 3 gallon kettle so I steeped a partial mash to boost flavor then added the malt for the sugar. Now that I have the larger rig I do mostly all grain. I'll still do a partial if I don't have time for a full brew day.

Force carbonation is great for kegging. Conditioning a Corney keg is too time consuming.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Patchez wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:05 am
Badfellow wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:18 pm

The use of liquid or Dry malt extract for me cam out of a lack of equipment when I started. I only had a 3 gallon kettle so I steeped a partial mash to boost flavor then added the malt for the sugar. Now that I have the larger rig I do mostly all grain. I'll still do a partial if I don't have time for a full brew day.

Force carbonation is great for kegging. Conditioning a Corney keg is too time consuming.
Also this article was out of a homebrewer magazine. Not aimed at guys with a BS in brewing. More aimed at me Harry Homebrewer. Unschooled and uncivilized.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

I ain't knocking the article. Just saying that homebrewers are capable of making world class beer. Even ax wielding barbarian types such as yourself.

Patchez wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:05 am
Whaaaaaaaat? Just add a little fresh wort (or even priming sugar) and it's ready in two weeks, and you don't need a CO2 tank or a regulator to do it.