Vodka maketh NOT a Martini

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Vodka maketh NOT a Martini

Post by Merchant Seaman »

Dear Booze wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:12 am
Hugh wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:27 pm

Similarly, a Manhattan is made with Whiskey. A Brandy Manhattan is made with brandy.
Rye Whiskey to be exact, though I'm a heretic, and take my Manhattans with an orange peel instead of a cherry

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

And that is a subject deserving of it’s own thread, that rye maketh the Manhattan.

Last time I was in Manhattan— now some 15 years ago— it was at Smith and Wollensky that I found myself dining it up on someone else’s expense account. We ended up at the bar after dinner, and the bartender was some seasoned cocktail vet with 3 stars embroidered on his service jacket, gray haired and with mannerisms much like Lloyd the Bartender from The Shining. Since I was in Manhattan, I ordered one straight up, and at the time I was somewhat surprised that this learned old fellow reached for a bottle of rye whiskey. Sazerac Rye, to be specific.

I said that I thought a Manhattan was made with Bourbon.

He quickly and cordially corrected me. "Young man, it has always been and shall always be rye."

I will remember that fondly for the rest of my days.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

This has got me interested in my Quest for My Perfect Martini. Time to load the Gin Cannon and grab the Noily and see if I can find the greatest combo my taste buds have ever experienced.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Patchez wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:37 pm
This has got me interested in my Quest for My Perfect Martini. Time to load the Gin Cannon and grab the Noily and see if I can find the greatest combo my taste buds have ever experienced.
was thinking the exact same thing...i'm working 7am-8pm shift tomo so sticking to a beer or two...

Think it might be Martini night on Friday though.

I may put a couple of glasses in the freezer ready.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

All that gin jibber-jabber having been established, what kind of gin makes your perfect Martini? A classic London dry? A Hendrick’s rose & cucumber? Maybe an Old Tom or a craft distilled oddity?

Merch says the more botanical, the better. I think that’s very much the reason for drinking gin, the various botanicals used to bring the overall flavor of the gin to life. There’s a little distillery in Duluth named Vikre that does a gin flavored with cedar. At first I was a skeptic but I am now a full convert as the stuff is stupidly enjoyable in a Martini or G&T.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

As I belch cedar and coriander in the twilight of the evening.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Badfellow wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:41 am
All that gin jibber-jabber having been established, what kind of gin makes your perfect Martini? A classic London dry? A Hendrick’s rose & cucumber? Maybe an Old Tom or a craft distilled oddity?

Merch says the more botanical, the better. I think that’s very much the reason for drinking gin, the various botanicals used to bring the overall flavor of the gin to life. There’s a little distillery in Duluth named Vikre that does a gin flavored with cedar. At first I was a skeptic but I am now a full convert as the stuff is stupidly enjoyable in a Martini or G&T.
I'm a London dry or Plymouth guy...Old Tom is a little rich I think but I've not had as much of it so could be swayed...so long as the botanical's are distilled with it...I don't want any bullshit flavored gin.

I actually think cheap and cheerful Beefeater is a brilliant gin especially for its price....it annoys me that it's not sold in as many places. Bombay and Tanqueray are everywhere and they are half the gin that Beefeater is for twice the price.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I still have yet to find a hands down favorite gin. So far one of the most enjoyable I've had was Aviation. I didn't want to like it because of the celebrity tie in but damn. It was tasty.

My biggest trouble with the Martini Quest was I got bogged down in all the different gins that I couldn't hit the right ratios from one to the next. So this time through I'm going for a single baseline gin until I get my ratios perfect for me. Then I'll only need to tweak a tad from gin to gin based on it's character. I think I may just start with Beefeaters as it's solid and priced right.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Patchez wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:09 pm
...So far one of the most enjoyable I've had was Aviation. I didn't want to like it because of the celebrity tie in but damn. It was tasty....
...I think I may just start with Beefeaters as it's solid and priced right.
I had to scroll up to see if I wrote this because these are my exact feelings. Aviation is very light on the botanicals. So is Beef. I prefer this.

Gin and Vodka were created as neutral spirits. But somewhere along the way, folks became enamored with the notion of making Gin taste like a god damned pine tree and Vodka taste like some weird kitchen accident where the spice drawer became flooded with cooking oil.

I'm not one to drink either straight up. Rather, I prefer using mixers or other spirits with them. In my opinion, the neutrality of the base should absorb the flavors of the other ingredients, not overpower them.

For these reasons, My go-to big whites are Aviation and Absolut.
DRINK!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

I've never heard of Aviation gin...a quick search shows it is available in the UK but it's not cheap...like double the price of Beefeater which is my go to...I assume at that price it's not worth it?

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:21 am
I've never heard of Aviation gin...a quick search shows it is available in the UK but it's not cheap...like double the price of Beefeater which is my go to...I assume at that price it's not worth it?
Here's a list of Gins that might be more like the overpriced Aviation.

Gin for people who hate Gin
DRINK!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Dear Booze wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:18 am
benitobeast69 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:21 am
Here's a list of Gins that might be more like the overpriced Aviation.

Gin for people who hate Gin
I defo don't not like gin hah.

As far as that list goes though
Porty Road is a banger...would make a great martini as well I recon
Bombay East and Hendricks are ok...bit overpriced though. I'd also have to be in the mood for Hendricks.
Bols is good as far as I remember but Genever and Gin are different beasts in my eyes.

I've never had the others...be interested to try the Dogfish one although my experience with brewery's making spirits has been all bang average. Brewdog have a couple of Gins but I've heard they are just ok...not gonna spend £25 on just ok.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

I don't even think Beefeater is too bland/light on the botanical...I mean don't get me wrong it's not gonna blow you off your feet..it's just well balanced.

It would defo be in my consideration for fave bottles in the £15-£20 range.

Has anyone tried the higher end Beefeater?

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Beefeater on offer at my supermarket today for £13...bought 3 bottles.

Defo Martini time.

Absinthe Of Malice
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Absinthe Of Malice »

Beefeater for me.

3 oz gin
1/2 oz dry vermouth (Noilly)
1/2 oz sweet vermouth (Cinzano is fine)

Stirred with ice, never goddam shaken over ice. Unless I do. Fuck you that's why.

I like the vodka martini as well, in the same ratios.

I have drunk the occasional Vesper as well.

But never an Appletini at Happy McFunsters and espresso mocha choka latte doo day marinis can fuck right off.
DRINK!
RIP Bill, aka mistah willies