Vodka maketh NOT a Martini

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Vodka maketh NOT a Martini

Post by Badfellow »

Simply to clear up any confusion which may exist… only gin makes a Martini. Not vodka. Not apple flavored liqueur. It’s gin. You may certainly use something other than gin as the base spirits of your drink of choice. But if you try calling it a Martini, I will slap that misnomered bitch straight out of your hand.

🍸
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Vodka maketh NOT a Martini

Post by Merchant Seaman »

True, and Jack Daniel's is NOT bourbon

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Badfellow wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:24 am
Simply to clear up any confusion which may exist… only gin makes a Martini. Not vodka. Not apple flavored liqueur. It’s gin. You may certainly use something other than gin as the base spirits of your drink of choice. But if you try calling it a Martini, I will slap that misnomered bitch straight out of your hand.

🍸
What if they call it an Appletini? I'm looking at you T.G.I. Fridays.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Also can we lose the bullshit spritz or drop or wave the vermouth near the glass? If you wanna drink straight gin, drink straight gin without the fuckin' theatrics.

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Patchez wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:08 pm
Also can we lose the bullshit spritz or drop or wave the vermouth near the glass? If you wanna drink straight gin, drink straight gin without the fuckin' theatrics.
Yes

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Scares use of dry vermouth is my preference in a Martini. It still needs to be in the room, just sitting in the corner perhaps minding it’s own business while the gin and the olive dance the night away.

My point, I guess, is that the existence of the Martini has been solidly documented since at least the 1930s with references to such a drink going back even before the dreaded Prohibition. And going back to it’s conception, the fact that it was made with gin has never been in question.

Only during the zenith of the cocktail hour during the early 1960s did vodka become passingly familiar to the American public. It’s likely some marketing fucktard guru at Seagram’s who receives credit for coining the phrase "vodka Martini" to sell a type of spirits that was, at the time, virtually unsalable.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

I'm a big fan of the Everclear Martini. I used to drink them at fancy hotels with my ex.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Evercleartini, futhermucker.

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Badfellow wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:53 pm
Scares use of dry vermouth is my preference in a Martini. It still needs to be in the room, just sitting in the corner perhaps minding it’s own business while the gin and the olive dance the night away.

My point, I guess, is that the existence of the Martini has been solidly documented since at least the 1930s with references to such a drink going back even before the dreaded Prohibition. And going back to it’s conception, the fact that it was made with gin has never been in question.

Only during the zenith of the cocktail hour during the early 1960s did vodka become passingly familiar to the American public. It’s likely some marketing fucktard guru at Seagram’s who receives credit for coining the phrase "vodka Martini" to sell a type of spirits that was, at the time, virtually unsalable.
I've seen an early printed reference to the original martini recipe, and it showed something like a 50/50 mix of vermouth and gin. Now, I FIRMLY believe that a a martini MUST contain vermouth in order to be a martini, but a 50/50 mix is rough. Dayam! ( as Mistah Willies would say).
DRINK!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

In the movie Wall Street a rich man is hosting a party in his home and he is showing off a robot that acts as a waiter. The rich guy is boasting/urging about getting a tax write off for the robot when one of the guests say, "But can it make a perfect vodka martini?" I don't know what a martini is, but I've always assumed since I saw that movie that it was made with vodka.

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Hugh wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:27 pm
In the movie Wall Street a rich man is hosting a party in his home and he is showing off a robot that acts as a waiter. The rich guy is boasting/urging about getting a tax write off for the robot when one of the guests say, "But can it make a perfect vodka martini?" I don't know what a martini is, but I've always assumed since I saw that movie that it was made with vodka.
Gin

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Hugh wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:27 pm
Unless a change is specified, a Martini is made with Gin. A Vodka Martini is made with vodka.

Similarly, a Manhattan is made with Whiskey. A Brandy Manhattan is made with brandy.
DRINK!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Think of it this way: would you use vodka to make a gin & tonic?

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Badfellow wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:53 pm

I have nothing against low ratio martinis. 10:1 or 15:1 or higher.

" A perfect martini should be made by filling a glass with gin then waving it in the general direction of Italy."
Noel Coward

The above statement is just pretentious bullshit.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Dear Booze wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:06 pm

I've seen an early printed reference to the original martini recipe, and it showed something like a 50/50 mix of vermouth and gin. Now, I FIRMLY believe that a a martini MUST contain vermouth in order to be a martini, but a 50/50 mix is rough. Dayam! ( as Mistah Willies would say).
The original I think even called for Sweet Vermouth at the 50/50 mix. I think it would be awful that way with dry but is not half bad with the sweet. Even with the sweet I like a 3:1 ratio favoring the Gin.