Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

hoverdog
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide

Post by hoverdog »

It's a beautiful movie, it provides a contrast. The convergence of talent and chance that made Fear and Loathing is made that much more apparent. Murray is very good, just not good as Depp, the script is not bad, just no where near what came later. Gilliam is Gilliam, etc. Anyway, a movie worth seeing.
The last thing that anyone should ever do is feel ashamed of blacking out. You were trying to get drunk last night and, goddamnit, mission accomplished.

hoverdog
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by hoverdog »

The whole thing on the plane, not realistic, but again not the point. Where the Buffalo Roam, watch it.
The last thing that anyone should ever do is feel ashamed of blacking out. You were trying to get drunk last night and, goddamnit, mission accomplished.

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Post by Screwball »

I love that movie just I can't find it with the original music.

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... a_flag.png

Post by waahoohah »

hoverdog wrote:It's a beautiful movie, it provides a contrast. The convergence of talent and chance that made Fear and Loathing is made that much more apparent. Murray is very good, just not good as Depp, the script is not bad, just no where near what came later. Gilliam is Gilliam, etc. Anyway, a movie worth seeing.
Agreed, Buffalo gives contrast. Mebbe even empathy. Dunno.

But I still think my vewing of Fear and Lothing was enhanced by my earlier screening of Buffalo...

Shit, shit, shit, SHIT!
"Beginner's luck is only possible if you try."

-Lee Harvey Oswald

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Sonic Screwball wrote:I love that movie just I can't find it with the original music.
I got it on VHS.

I thought Peter Boyle was great in that flick
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

garv
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by garv »

hoverdog wrote:I like your site really but why haven't you gotten to Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle yet? Also you might want to include documentaries of interest, Born Into This and Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride come to mind.
All of those films are on my "to watch" list (and Vicious Circle is a particular favorite of mine). I also have covered six documentaries thus far, and I will cover more in the future.

My strategy in approaching the subject is to mix the well known and essential "booze movies" with less popular and obscure titles. Otherwise, I would have covered all of the biggies during my first year. Also, I like to mix films with which I am greatly familiar with movies that I have never seen (to keep myself interested).

There are a number of essential alky-centric flicks that will be covered soon... The Country Girl, Shakes the Clown, Come Fill the Cup, Auntie Mame, Beerfest, Chimes at Midnight, Drunks, Educating Rita, The Sin of Harold Diddlebock, Fat City, On the Nickel, Some Came Running, The Verdict, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, the remaining Thin Man movies, more Chaplin, more W.C. Fields, etc.
Stay tuned.

Cheers,
garv
Read reviews, news, and features from the world of soused cinema at "Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide." http://www.boozemovies.com/

garv
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by garv »

I just posted a review of Road House (1989) on Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide. Other recent reviews include:

The Pharmacist (1933)
The Verdict (1982)
The Sin of Harold Diddlebock (1947)

Check 'em out if you get the chance.

Cheers,
garv
Read reviews, news, and features from the world of soused cinema at "Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide." http://www.boozemovies.com/

garv
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by garv »

hoverdog wrote:I also feel you undervalue Where the Buffalo Roam. Plot or the lack of it hardly seems the point.
I'm with Hunter Thompson on this one. He also hated the film, especially the script, which he referred to as "dumb" and "low-rent." He did, however, think that Bill Murray did a good job. I do think the film is worth seeing, especially for Murray's performance. However, I do understand how the film received such bad reviews over the years.

On the other hand, I'm mystified as to why Terry Gilliam's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas garnered such bad reviews. I can't imagine a better film version of that book.

By the way, recent reviews on Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide include Road House (1989), Road House (1948), The Man with a Cloak (1951), and Eastern College (2008). Stop by for a movie and a drink if you get a chance.

Cheers,
garv

garv
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by garv »

Recent reviews on Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide include:

W.C. Fields and Me (1976)
What Drink Did (1909)
A Love Song for Bobby Long (2004)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Smokey and the Bandit (1977)
Mabel's Married Life (1914)

In addition, I recently announced a rare public appearance at this year's Tales of the Cocktail festival in New Orleans. You can check out the details here-->Garv at Tales

Cheers,
garv

garv
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by garv »

Today I posted a review of the new Hunter S. Thompson documentary Animals, Whores, and Dialogue: Breakfast with Hunter Vol. 2 on "Booze Movies."

Other recent soused cinema reviews include:

Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957)
Educating Rita (1983)
The Fixer Uppers (1935)
Chimes at Midnight (a.k.a. Falstaff, 1965)
The Hangover (2009)
The Face on the Bar Room Floor (1914)
Moonshine County Express (1977)

Stop by boozemovies.com to check them out.

Cheers,
garv

Aquaman
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Aquaman »

I've been looking for a source of WC Fields stuff. I love that guy!

Thanks for the heads up!

garv
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by garv »

Aquaman wrote:I've been looking for a source of WC Fields stuff. I love that guy!

Thanks for the heads up!
He's the funniest man who ever staggered in front of a movie camera. Stop by "Booze Movies" later in the week, because I have more W.C. Fields video news.

Cheers,
garv