Been watching Spike's "Bar Rescue"....

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Been watching Spike's "Bar Rescue"....

Post by NightShiftCharlie »

Spike has a marathon of it today and just about every other week, with new episodes tonight. To me, it's kind of like watching those "secrets of Vegas" docs, but with our kinda habit. Any other opinions?
May you all be hung, drawn, and quartered!
Yes, HUNG - with precious metals and jewels
DRAWN - in a coach and four
and QUARTERED - in the finest homes in the land.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Been watching Spike's "Bar Rescue"....

Post by Wingman »

i can't watch it, but only because it makes me so depressed about how much better i could run a bar than those folks. not a bad show for the genre.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

binary
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by binary »

Checking it out now. Although I can't stand the usual reality show format where everything is overhyped and there's like 15 minutes of actual footage in the whole episode.

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

I just don't find the main guy to be that compelling. He tries to be creatively mean, ala Gordon Ramsay, but mostly just comes off as bored and maybe he needs to take a shit.

Also, I will rescue your bar from its crippling bourbon inventories.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

binary
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by binary »

Yeah I watched a few, was better than I expected but definitely agree that he's pushing the whole "mean makeover" thing just to jump off Ramsay's success.

Some of the stuff is pretty interesting, but honestly I wouldn't go to any of the bars I saw him redo. They all ended up being mass-market nightclubs or chain-style bars. I'd rather have one bar with personality and 4 failed ones than 5 generic ones.

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by NightShiftCharlie »

Actually, most of the redos worked for me, with a couple of exceptions. The first was when he turned that Irish bar on the beach into just another beach themed bar. If it was me who redid the place, I'd still use a lot of the decor John did, but instead of replacing the name, I'd modify the name to say, "Kilkenny's at the beach," and have more Irish surfing photos. I'd also add stuff like bacon cheeseburgers with Irish "rasher" bacon and/or "Irish nachos."
The other place I had an issue with was when he changed that pirate themed bar (it might have worked somewhat if it was say, at the waterfront, but in downtown?). I liked the decor and gadgets, but to me, he phoned in the name of of the place. "The Corporate Bar And Grill"? To me, if anything, I'd think that the wage slaves would go to it more if it a name like "Unwind, Inc." or "Relax and Co.," you get the drift. You could even modify the logo somewhat and change it to someone loosening his tie.
May you all be hung, drawn, and quartered!
Yes, HUNG - with precious metals and jewels
DRAWN - in a coach and four
and QUARTERED - in the finest homes in the land.

Aloysius_of_Tahiti
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Aloysius_of_Tahiti »

That dude with the thinning hair that keeps it slicked back just seems like a douchebag. Here's how it would go down in my bar:
Me: This is where we do food prep.
Thin hair dude: Are you kidding me? Are you ******* kidding me? This place is a disaster. Look at this **** behind the grill.
Me: Whoa, what's with the cursing? I treat you like a gentleman, I expect the same.
Thin hair dude: That's about to change. Your kitchen is ******* horrific. You need to clean it, top to bottom.
Me: Actually, how about this...get the **** out of my kitchen. How dare you came into my establishment and use such filthy language. This is a family bar and grill. You crossed a line with your foul mouth.
Thin hair dude: Look at the ******* grill. It's caked in grease.
Me: I warned you. You're out. Take your filthy Guido accent and get the **** out of my restaurant. And I never want to see you or your fairy camera team in here again. Understand>

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Bollocks! I thought that this thread was about Milligan...
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage