Throwing in my two penneth...

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Throwing in my two penneth...

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Mr Boozificator wrote:...I might have to ban you...
Sorry, old chum, but you cannot. She has protected status.

And a husband, fyi.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Fast Cast
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Fast Cast »

Mr Boozificator wrote:
GinSoakedGirl wrote:Right, seeing as everyone is wading in with their opinions about moderation on this board I thought I'd add mine too. I appreciate that it won't be shared by all and I'm not sure that the moderators here will necessarily appreciate me sticking my oar in to an increasingly lip-pursing debate. Damn it all though, I've had a dry, difficult although rewarding week and I come back to find all this nonsense. So with a G+T in hand, here goes...

Why is there such a problem with moderators? From what I can see they do a thankless job and do it very well. Their presence is only felt when necessary (e.g. when spam appears, when people are rude and objectionable etc.) and I've never felt that they are intrusive dictators in any way. They do it because they love this board and want it to continue well. Saying we don't need moderators is like saying we don't need bar staff in a real pub who have the authority to keep out the cunts and keep the usually pleasant in line when they push things too far. As for comparing them to some of the more fervent and excessive dictators this planet seems to throw up from time to time - do grow up. This is an internet message board, not the Killing Fields. If this isn't a democracy, then it is at least a benign dictatorship and is hardly ruled with an iron fist.

Next - choice of moderators. I don't know the exact procedure for selection but I'm fairly sure that agreement will probably come from the top. As has been said elsewhere, we have a good cross section of drunkkind in the job. If not these people (who are consistent, diligent and GOOD people) then who would you have and for what reasons? That's a fairly redundant and rhetorical question obviously because the choice has already been made, but examine the reasons for your dissent and present it quietly and with dignity rather than just deciding that you don't like it and voicing your opinion with rude hyperbole.

Lastly - NYDingbat. I don't know too much about you; you haven't to me seemed to be tremendously right wing and I'm a woolly-minded liberal of the embarrassingly worthiest order so I notice that sort of thing - perhaps I missed those particular posts? Either way, good luck to you and do us proud. To the rest of you - perhaps give her a chance to separate her alleged politics from her job of moderating?

To bring my rambling and possibly confusing/infuriating/laughable ramble to a close, I'd just like to put in a plea for some perspective and gratitude. We all love this board, and the moderators are a big part of it - you might just not see it. So thanks, like.

Cheers and beers to all.
You're being dangerously reasonable, I might have to ban you.
Well, if you just tell me who the girl on your av is, I'll turn that into a mere suspension for 99 months (maybe) and after that I'll return to polishing my Messerschmitt.

That's Chan Marshall. She's ridiculously sexy, even before you consider the fact that she's already 40.

I always felt that a mod was like a bouncer. When they're good, you only need one, and the times they need to intercede are few and far between.
I just wish there were some actual drunkards around here who can handle themselves like adults while still acting like retards - liquor&poker

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Fast Cast wrote:...I always felt that a mod was like a bouncer...
Bar's get to close up every night (at some point). We are online 24/7, and the geographical distribution of the moderating team reflects that. Just like bouncers work shifts.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mother Goose
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mother Goose »

Palinka, sadly I was not at Con 3. We were at the MassCon, Con 4 (I think, was that the most recent Denver con?) and we've hosted and attended many other non-MDM-sanctioned invasions and drunkard weekends (Austin, Midwest Invasion, a few stumbling weekends at our humble abode, and the Shmooperbowl). :)

"DC is a toilet. And it needs a good flush." ~ Weatherman

Drunkard Chat bot sez: fiyah: i'm picturing wasabi oozing out of her parents, and im at a good pace if you have to do this cheap as fuck. but drunkards need to unite

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

GSG thanks for putting together such a thoughtful treatise on the matter.
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

What in the fuck are you guys talking about? Drink up, jesus.

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

steved2112 wrote:GSG thanks for putting together such a thoughtful treatise on the matter.
Seconded.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

Bundy
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Bundy »

Mr. Viking wrote:everyone likes to complain, but yes, probably should say thanks more often. Since when have you ever heard a bouncer applauded, mind?

a pair of bouncers walked past my local the other day and i led the pub in a round of applause. i mean they had to be at least 36 DD.....

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

Bundy wrote:
Mr. Viking wrote:everyone likes to complain, but yes, probably should say thanks more often. Since when have you ever heard a bouncer applauded, mind?

a pair of bouncers walked past my local the other day and i led the pub in a round of applause. i mean they had to be at least 36 DD.....
ha! :)
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.