All Things Bukowski Thread

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: beer by Charles Bukowski

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

coqui_chris wrote:How come that Bukowski sounds like the Cake Boss?
How do you know what the Cake Boss sounds like? Big fan?
I'll miss you, pallie.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: beer by Charles Bukowski

Post by coqui_chris »

BeerMakesMeSmart wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:How come that Bukowski sounds like the Cake Boss?
How do you know what the Cake Boss sounds like? Big fan?
The Cake Boss is The Situation if The Situation knew how to make muffins as opposed just take home drunken Muffin Tops
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Charles Bukowski on Germany

Post by Hugh »

" Germany is a
bigger drunk than America. even the non-alcoholics
drink the wine because you can’t drink the water.
everybody in Germany is rich; the poor die of thirst.

tougher bars in Germany than in east L.A., run through
with gangs of neo-Nazis with battalions of killer dogs.
if you want to go to the crapper you have to smile, wave,
nod, wink at them."

https://charlesbukowski.org/poems/come-back/

This poem was the first time I'd ever heard the term "steam beer." It used to be a cheap beer for poor blue collar workers, apparently today it is a craft beer for monied hipsters.

Buk was born in Germany, though he left when he was only 2. When he was a kid he wrote stories about the Red Baron shooting up American pilots.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Charles Bukowski on Germany

Post by scream ale »

I like "Septuagenarian Stew" personally. Good mix of short stories and poems. Always loved Bukowski's short stories the most.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

scream ale wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:43 pm
I like "Septuagenarian Stew" personally. Good mix of short stories and poems. Always loved Bukowski's short stories the most.
I definitely like his prose better than his poetry. I reread Post Office and Ham on Rye often.

Most of the poems in Love is a Dog From Hell were so bad I nearly tossed the book across the room. However, I like nearly all the poems in Open All Night.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Hugh wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:51 pm
scream ale wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:43 pm
I definitely like his prose better than his poetry. I reread Post Office and Ham on Rye often.

Most of the poems in Love is a Dog From Hell were so bad I nearly tossed the book across the room. However, I like nearly all the poems in Open All Night.
Post Office is a great one. The only novel of his I don't care much for is Women.

Not The biggest fan of of Buk's poetry either. Although the first two books of his I read were The Night Torn Mad with Footsteps and Slouching Toward Nirvana and I still go back to both occasionally.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

I remember thinking Ham on Rye was his best after going on a Bukowski binge years ago. Seemed like he really matured into his style.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Get a job at the Gedney Pickle Factory while you're waiting for your manuscript to be published.

Hugh wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:30 pm

https://charlesbukowski.org/poems/come-back/

This poem was the first time I'd ever heard the term "steam beer." It used to be a cheap beer for poor blue collar workers, apparently today it is a craft beer for monied hipsters.
This is true.

You can thank Fritz Maytag (of the washing machine dynasty and Anchor Steam Brewery fame) for patenting the term "Steam Beer" and raising the price of a six pack. Now we have to call it California Common because old facist Fritzy filed copywrite on the term "steam".

All this Buk talk makes me want to go shoplift a 4 pack of Old Foghorn and puke on someone's tits.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ