Your day in a nutshell. Share please.

A place for general talk.

Moderators: NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies

Hugh
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Your day in a nutshell. Share please.

Post by Hugh »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:34 pm
Do these ships have jobs for radar techs?

No, the electrician does some of that, of a factory rep

Where do merchant mariners drink in San Diego?

Not sure, in most cities there is not not a big enough concentration of merchant mariners to really have a hang out, once a crew member pays off, the tend to head to where ever home is.

But if you're in Oakland Ca. try Merchant's Saloon on 2nd street
What about a job washing dishes or doing laundry? Some kind of ancillary job. Do they want anybody like that?

Jack Kerouac was in the merchant marine. Right after he got out, the ship he was on got torpedoed by a German U boat.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I woke up shortly after 2pm, when Grumps came in to see if I had died yet. Incredibly boring day. Family drama. Still no appetite--I just do not want to eat. Last time this happened ended badly. F--- this covid lockdown crap. If I could see my out in town crapdoctor, maybe Tricare would refer me back to the base. Today I have to have my eyes tested. That's another prob I have--can't see out of about 1/4 of my right eye. My glasses are maybe 10 years old, my sunglasses perhaps 15?
like tears in rain

Merchant Seaman
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Merchant Seaman »

What about a job washing dishes or doing laundry? Some kind of ancillary job. Do they want anybody like that?

At most of the companies I work for that particular job (washing dishes) would fall to the assistant cook, which is Seafarers International Union (SIU)
other entry level jobs would be Wiper (engine department) and Ordinary Seafarer (Deck) Most shipping companies have contracts with various unions which dispatch the jobs from their halls, though there are some non-union jobs.

If you're interested in shipping let me know, I can give you d'skinny, but be aware, it is not cheap to get into this industry, figure on 2-5K to get your papers, and that's no guarantee of a job, but if you persist you'll likely work

Jack Kerouac was in the merchant marine. Right after he got out, the ship he was on got torpedoed by a German U boat.

You can't really be "in" the merchant marine, as the term merchant marine refers to an industry, like saying the airline industry.
Kerouac was dispatched to a ship, but refused to sign on, so he was fired and returned to the hall, it is not known if he was on any other ship during WW2, it is likely he did sign on a ship in NOLA after the war, and sailed to Long Beach Ca.

The singer Woody Guthrie was a merchant mariner during WW2, the book Woody, Cisco and Me by Jim Longhi is a pretty good account of his sailing days.

Also the book The Greatest Beer Run Ever by Chick Donohue is about a merchant mariner.

I strongly recommend both books

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:44 pm
Saturday (Friday for you folks)

Head to my stateroom and hit the rain locker.
What is a rain locker?

Do you have to share your stateroom?

Thanks for these insights, sounds like a fun job but also tiring.

Oh yeah, do you always have to calculate how much booze to bring for each trip so you don`t run dry?
Shut up Oettingerr

Merchant Seaman
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

What is a rain locker?

Slang for a shower

Do you have to share your stateroom?

Nope, nor my head or rain locker

Thanks for these insights, sounds like a fun job but also tiring.

Oh yeah, do you always have to calculate how much booze to bring for each trip so you don`t run dry?

Yes, but you can replenish
Some companies, like APL sell beer ,and wine in the slop chest, some like, Matson, let you put in an order to be delivered, some like, Maersk ban booze aboard, though it is not always strictly enforced.

Also in many places they will trade beer for your sludge oil, since the ship burns heavy fuel oil (bunker oil) they can mix it with gravel and use it for asphalt to pave their roads.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I beat AD`s ass in any game we played this weekend. Darts, battleship, skipbo, armwrestling, you name it. It must be my lucky weekend. What else should I defeat her in?
Shut up Oettingerr

scream ale
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by scream ale »

Monopoly?
Trivial pursuit?
Simon says?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

scream ale wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:15 pm
Monopoly?
Trivial pursuit?
Simon says?
I despise Monopoly
We actually looked for an online TP (and Jeopardy)
Oettinger says is my favorite of course
Shut up Oettingerr

scream ale
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by scream ale »

I honestly think the only reason I enjoy Monopoly is because the rest of the world hates it.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

scream ale wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:33 pm
I honestly think the only reason I enjoy Monopoly is because the rest of the world hates it.
And buy bourbon street
or build a whore-house on hoodrat alley
or sell crack from the train station

wait, we are talking the boardgame not real life, do we?
Shut up Oettingerr

scream ale
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by scream ale »

oettinger wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:47 pm
scream ale wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:33 pm
And buy bourbon street
or build a whore-house on hoodrat alley
or sell crack from the train station

wait, we are talking the boardgame not real life, do we?
I've been building whorehouses and selling crack from train stations for years.
This street made of bourbon is new to me though. I think I'm moving.

Merchant Seaman
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

It's Monday, Sunday for moat, if not everyone reading this, but Monday for me, tomorrow is Meridian Day, the day after that is Tuesday, today will be 22 hours instead of 24.

As of about an hour ago I was 48 degrees north and 168 degrees east, on heading 079 at 22 knots, the sea temp is 36 degrees.

In the last 24 hours we've burned 113 tons, yes tons, of heavy fuel oil (AKA bunker oil)

so pretty typical

I have three cans of Tsingtao, two bottles of Lagunitas IPA and about two thirds of a liter of Jamison's

Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:26 pm
It's Monday, Sunday for moat, if not everyone reading this, but Monday for me, tomorrow is Meridian Day, the day after that is Tuesday, today will be 22 hours instead of 24.

As of about an hour ago I was 48 degrees north and 168 degrees east, on heading 079 at 22 knots, the sea temp is 36 degrees.

In the last 24 hours we've burned 113 tons, yes tons, of heavy fuel oil (AKA bunker oil)

so pretty typical

I have three cans of Tsingtao, two bottles of Lagunitas IPA and about two thirds of a liter of Jamison's
Did you hear about that ship that got stuck in the Suez Canal? What do you think happened?

Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Merchant Seaman wrote:

Between Japan and Russia?

Merchant Seaman
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Hugh wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:53 pm
Merchant Seaman wrote:

so pretty typical

Did you hear about that ship that got stuck in the Suez Canal? What do you think happened?
Yes, not enough cartons of Marlboro Reds, bottles of Jack and copies of the U.S. Penthouse were given to the pilot