Drinking has lost it's mojo

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Drinking has lost it's mojo

Post by oettinger »

Patchez wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 8:32 am
I feel like everyone should try it at least once to see if it works for them.
the thought alone scares me
Drink!

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

I'm considering taking a little break. I drank nearly an entire bottle of Evan Williams black label yesterday and didn't even get drunk.

We'll see how today's WT101 session fares.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I often feel like I'm in a drinking rut. The same beers, the same whiskeys. Stopped at the liquor store today on my way home cause I'm low on Bushmills. I decided since I went there for something Irish I should get something Irish new to me. I picked Natterjack because the big ass frog on the label amused me. Not half bad, gets better as I go.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

a drinking rut is so easily fixed by a change up..
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I think every five years or so I change my go to drink.

Been stuck with vodka for ever though, just the mix changes
Drink!

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

I really hate to say this but if you abuse it you lose it. Booze will stop working for you if you abuse it. For health reasons I only drink on weekends and it seems like every Friday I'm chomping at the bit and drink all day into the night. Four days without booze lets me detox. It's a great feeling when drinking time rolls around again and I'm ready for it. It's like jumping into the water for a swim!
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Last edited by shawnonious on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

brandonman wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:49 pm

The last time I took a week break, it was when I was having some tendinitis problems, and experimenting to see what was causing it and how to fix it.

I played a gig with the band and still got it, just milder. Through more experimentation, I found that loading up on electrolytes the day of, popping an ibuprofen, and just skipping drinking the night before, then getting loaded while playing (alcohol is an anti-inflammatory in that wheelhouse apparently) worked wonders.

I've yet to find a good reason to do another whole week break. Sometimes I'll do a reset during the weekdays (with a cheat day or two), and kinda feel smugly impressed with myself. Then realize it was fucking lame and didn't really have any positive impact, outside of that sense of "I'm still in control" - which, there is something to be said for that.

If you're not getting shit performance marks at work, not ruining relationships you *value* (fuck ruining relationships with assholes by being drunk! They deserve it!), and aren't getting severe shakes and needing to drink during the day, do what I do. Get a reasonable buzz during the week at night (that you'll undrunk up before work from and have a clear head), then make it a point to get sloshed with the boys during the weekend, and try to have a tremendous sunday funday allday session doing something engaging (bar hopping, golfing, exploring new haunts, wineries, or whatever the fuck) that knocks you out sunday night so hard that you wake up refreshed Monday, and take Monday night off drinking.
Wise words
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

brandonman wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:49 pm
Patchez wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 8:32 am
I feel like everyone should try it at least once to see if it works for them.

The last time I took a week break, it was when I was having some tendinitis problems, and experimenting to see what was causing it and how to fix it.

I played a gig with the band and still got it, just milder. Through more experimentation, I found that loading up on electrolytes the day of, popping an ibuprofen, and just skipping drinking the night before, then getting loaded while playing (alcohol is an anti-inflammatory in that wheelhouse apparently) worked wonders.

I've yet to find a good reason to do another whole week break. Sometimes I'll do a reset during the weekdays (with a cheat day or two), and kinda feel smugly impressed with myself. Then realize it was fucking lame and didn't really have any positive impact, outside of that sense of "I'm still in control" - which, there is something to be said for that.

If you're not getting shit performance marks at work, not ruining relationships you *value* (fuck ruining relationships with assholes by being drunk! They deserve it!), and aren't getting severe shakes and needing to drink during the day, do what I do. Get a reasonable buzz during the week at night (that you'll undrunk up before work from and have a clear head), then make it a point to get sloshed with the boys during the weekend, and try to have a tremendous sunday funday allday session doing something engaging (bar hopping, golfing, exploring new haunts, wineries, or whatever the fuck) that knocks you out sunday night so hard that you wake up refreshed Monday, and take Monday night off drinking.
Is this workout routine available for my fitness app?

Just kidding. I don't have a fitness app.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Last edited by shawnonious on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Last edited by shawnonious on Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I`m getting all red. Not in public Brandon!!!!!!
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Theyll kill eachother with kindness

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Decided to switch up my drinking routine today. Although not one for cocktails I've long been curious about Manhattans. So today being the day to give in to temptation I'm going to make some manhattans and see how it goes. I'm using sweet vermouth (Gallo) and will be floating no fruit. Having never used bitters before I have no idea what I'm doing. Decided against getting a bottle of fruit flavored bitters and went for some Fee Brothers old fashioned bitters. For round one I'm using black label EW. There's something about this I'm not liking. But part of me really wants to enjoy this. I can't even describe the flavor that's not working for me. When round two comes along I think I'm going to try a rye.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

For round two I went with Dickel rye. This is light years better with a decent rye replacing a bourbon. Although I was thinking, would a Manhattan with bourbon be more to my liking if I use dry vermouth instead of sweet? Have to try that one another day.
I'd also like to add that drinking Manhattans outisde, even in the shade, on days with a heat advisory is not the smartest thing to do.
But yeah rye is the way to go so far.