Steel Reserve

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: Steel Reserve has multiple ABV's

Post by Resident Asshole »

Steel Reserve was always 8.1% in MIchigan.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

Patchez wrote:Mickey's Big Mouths baby. Gimmie the Green 'Nades!
Idk if im going to get malt liquor I want that 8% steel reserve they all taste like malted trash to me and Mickey's seemed unusually week and I could not find the alcohol percentage anywhere on the bottle but I know I didn't git that slightly drunk tingle I wanted after a whole six pack.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by John Barleycorn »

It is my understanding that for malt liquor and many of the lower end macrobrews the brewery makes a batch at high strength then waters it down to whatever strength a particular market, usual due to their laws, requires.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

John Barleycorn wrote:It is my understanding that for malt liquor and many of the lower end macrobrews the brewery makes a batch at high strength then waters it down to whatever strength a particular market, usual due to their laws, requires.
I was told on the Tennent's brewery tour that they brew to around 7% , and it gets watered down to 4% before packaging. They explained that because alcohol is hygroscopic, ie absorbs water from the air, if the beer was brewed to 4% they couldn't guarantee that after transportation and packaging. They therefore brew to a higher strength and keep it there before watering down at the last instant. Those breweries are a tricksy bunch.

Might explain why some microbrews seem inconsistent between formats and bars?
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Absinthe Of Malice
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

FUCK! Steel Reserve is being discontinued

Post by Absinthe Of Malice »

Molson Coors is discontinuing some products

"Steelies" as my wife and I call the tall boys are part of my daily drinking.

Time to find a new fave tallboy/40!
DRINK!
RIP Bill, aka mistah willies

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: FUCK! Steel Reserve is being discontinued

Post by Nausea »

I always liked Olde English 800 the best. It actually tastes fine and is just as cheap.

If you need a bigger kick, try the high gravity HG800 version, but here lie some brutal hangovers. Caveat emptor.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Gonna second the nomination for OE 800. Also, if you can find it, Baltika 9: it’s cheap, comes in a 51 oz. plastic bottle and is 8% alcohol.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

You know it's gonna fuck you up when it comes in a 51oz. plastic bottle.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

You are correct, sir. And the funny thing about Baltika 9 is that if it’s cold, it doesn’t taste totally horrible. It actually tastes kind of okay with barbecue and spicy foods.

Not like Natural Ice which tastes like leakage from reactor coolant.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Steel Reserve

Post by benitobeast69 »

do you guys get Carlsberg Special Brew over in the states?...I've not had it for years but didn't mind it as a kid...used to always buy 8 cans of it on my way home from school on Friday and usually die after 6.

Think it's lowered it's abv now thought to 7.5% or 8% some shit like that.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

DrunkinEurope
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by DrunkinEurope »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:15 am
do you guys get Carlsberg Special Brew over in the states?...I've not had it for years but didn't mind it as a kid...used to always buy 8 cans of it on my way home from school on Friday and usually die after 6.

Not sure if it's the same thing with a different name, but Carlsberg's Elephant beer is very good (about 7.2%), with a strong, quite palatable taste. And it sneaks up on you, you'll have three or four and feel fine, then you pop another top and the room begins to spin. Maybe that is still sold in the UK?
It's one of the few things I miss from when I lived in Denmark, would always keep at least four tall cans of it in my refrigerator for boring afternoons. There's also an extra strong variation, clocking at 10.5% - which is borderline wine for beer lovers - but have no idea how readily available it is. I had trouble finding it in Denmark on occasion.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

DrunkinEurope wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:28 am
then you pop another top and the room begins to spin.
Pop the top and the room goes zoom. Beer rhyme time.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

DrunkinEurope wrote:
benitobeast69 wrote:

Not sure if it's the same thing with a different name, but Carlsberg's Elephant beer is very good (about 7.2%), with a strong, quite palatable taste. And it sneaks up on you, you'll have three or four and feel fine, then you pop another top and the room begins to spin. Maybe that is still sold in the UK?
It's one of the few things I miss from when I lived in Denmark, would always keep at least four tall cans of it in my refrigerator for boring afternoons. There's also an extra strong variation, clocking at 10.5% - which is borderline wine for beer lovers - but have no idea how readily available it is. I had trouble finding it in Denmark on occasion.
yeah Elephant and Special Brew are different beers....I've never been able to try the Elephant as I've never seen it in the UK...Sounds like both beers run a pretty similar racket though. Is it Denmark that make the FAXE super strength in the big litre cans??
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

DrunkinEurope
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by DrunkinEurope »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:29 pm
DrunkinEurope wrote:
benitobeast69 wrote:

yeah Elephant and Special Brew are different beers....I've never been able to try the Elephant as I've never seen it in the UK...Sounds like both beers run a pretty similar racket though. Is it Denmark that make the FAXE super strength in the big litre cans??
Yep, FAXE is also Danish ,I think they have liter cans for almost all their beers. But they focus mainly on exports, I lived in the city their headquarters are, never found a FAXE beer in a supermarket or at a bar.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Faxe rocked back in the day.
Elephant beer was way to spicy for my taste.
Drink!