Lady Savage's Grumpy Chronicles

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: sad news

Post by Mr Boozificator »

I am sorry to read that.
If I understand correctly, Mr Savage is quite a stubborn person, so I would say that the disease will give up long before he even considers flinching.
Strength and courage to the two of you.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Announcement

Post by Savage »

To anyone here who still remembers us, Grumpy has been diagnosed with mouth/throat cancer. He is not taking it well. Unlike me, miss happy fool, he is very depressed and is only angered by reminders to look on the bright side. I remind him that no one in our families has died of cancer since the 1970's but he is having none of it. He is a good man and deserves better, and I don't know what to do. Everything I say seems to anger him more. Please keep him in your thoughts. I'm living day to day with this and just want to see him smile again.
like tears in rain

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Patchez wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:48 pm
Bacchus willing this is just a bump in the road. You gotta find him a hobby to tinker with. I think retirement doesn't agree with him.
I saw his whole retirement as a win-win for him. Retired from the base contracting job after his Marine Corps retirement, finally will have time to use the thousands of dollars of woodworking tools he has for more than my bookshelves, sell his beautiful creations, but nope. Well before he FINALLY went to the doctor, he came home about five months shy of his planned final retirement and announced that he had suddenly quit. Still don't know what that was about.Have an idea, but don't dare ask. Now he spends all day in his comfy chair mostly sleeping, then this. Hid the lump and difficulty from me and denied that anything was wrong. I worry because he seemed to have already given up on life before the tumor thing. There is some kind of surgery or consult, I don't know which, on Friday. He is going to get "local" radiation and chemo but it is going to be in a town 25 miles away. I will go with him all the way to Miramar but he has informed me that HE will drive. Uhm, so what about anesthesia? He becomes furious when I ask him questions, so I just hope he sleeps tomorrow. For my sake as well as his. Tearing what's left of my hair out... At least he ate a little today.
like tears in rain

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Badfellow wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:31 am
Please let the Grumps know we are thinking of him and wish him a full, speedy recovery. Hang in there , Lady S.
Thank you. Himself would do so too, but I'm afraid to tell him because of more reactive rage.
like tears in rain

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Patchez wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:48 pm
Bacchus willing this is just a bump in the road. You gotta find him a hobby to tinker with. I think retirement doesn't agree with him.
Yep, that's the truth. He's been an utter PITA since he totally retired. It's like he retired from life. I'm afraid instead of him being a sad lonely widower, I'll outlive him. He's always been an Eeyore. I tried telling him that a positive attitude helps, but oddly he goes completely deaf when I do. At least he has my handicapped placard. Though he probably won't use it, eyeroll. I tell him to not use it most days because I am fine, as the fractures are healing and I never needed it after the cancer thing anyway. I can only hope that if I die, he'll move to Arizona like the rest of his brothers and sisters (except for a couple of diehard Californians)
like tears in rain

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Mr Boozificator wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:21 pm
I am sorry to read that.
If I understand correctly, Mr Savage is quite a stubborn person, so I would say that the disease will give up long before he even considers flinching.
Strength and courage to the two of you.
Heh, ever try to hitch a mule and get it to do anything? I sure hope he'll come out as healthy as I did, but he'll still be the way he is. Thanks for your good wishes.
like tears in rain

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Grumpy update

Post by Savage »

He was taken to Naval Hospital San Diego last Saturday night and just today got upgraded, or downgraded, in nurse speak, to a regular floor instead of the ICU. He had a swap to a smaller trach and can take for about a half hour before he has to stop, and ninety percent of it is understandable. Younger daughter went home a little while ago, as she has two small children who need her. G's color is better, much pinker, especially when he gets riled, which only happens once every minute or two. I'm staying on grounds at a sort of hotel called Fisher House, after a nice old military couple who believed that family members needed a place to stay when their loved ones are in the hospital. There's even a kitchen so that they don't have to go out and get fast food, just real food they can cook.
like tears in rain

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Re: Grumpy update

Post by whiskeyprick »

May I take his place. I am getting old and extremely grumpy, I know he hates me. I'm asking nice
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

whiskeyprick wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:24 pm
May I take his place. I am getting old and extremely grumpy, I know he hates me. I'm asking nice
I've been staying at Fisher House by the hospital and am home right now, because --we hope-- he will be released monday. He had a trach, and a feeding tube, but I think the hospital staff is tired of dealing with his crabbiness. His chemo and radiation don't start until later this month, so I hope they give me some instructions before they send him home.
like tears in rain

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Pour some Bourbon and chocolate cake into that feeding tube
Drink!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Hed probably rather have cheesecake, but what he really misses is his tall cold glass of milk in the morning. He's been totally off the lifer juice for quite a while now. While he's on the feeding tube thing, I guess I'll eat in the library. They are thinking of releasing him on Tuesday now, instead of Monday.
like tears in rain

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Grumpy is a tall, old glass of stubborn, cold milk. Semper Grumpalis

We raise the drink to you and your well being, dear Savage. And to his. You are not alone.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

First chemo today. He's been back there now for two hours. Supposedly this will take three hours. Later today, he'll get first radiation. I think it would be easier for him if he wasn't such a pessimist. I reminded him I still alive, and so are his brother and sister. Think good thoughts for him; it couldn't hurt.
like tears in rain

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Boozy Bacchus vibes heading your way.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie