Improvement? I say, Quite the opposite ...

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Re: Improvement? I say, Quite the opposite ...

Post by whiskeyprick »

peetie44 wrote:
whiskeyprick wrote: Wet, lather, rinse, repeat....still only a half afootlong....CURSES!
Well, as a bald man, I'm now QUIET offended...you hear me?
It's your soap and your 8 penis', wash them however you like.
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

whiskeyprick wrote:
peetie44 wrote:
whiskeyprick wrote: Wet, lather, rinse, repeat....still only a half afootlong....CURSES!
Well, as a bald man, I'm now QUIET offended...you hear me?
It's your soap and your 8 penis', wash them however you like.
No tickee, no washee, soldier-boy!
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Girlie
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Girlie »

Pfft! Get over it! A bar is a business and they need to make money. If you have such a hard time with the "dive bars" closing down and turning into gastropubs make the dive bars more profitable by visiting them more so they don't choose the more profitable option. If not, then shut up and let people make money, maybe someone else will see that dive bar element missing and take his turn. (Circle of life, as Frank said.) Could you imagine society giving you shit for accepting more money at your job?

Standard Tap is defined as a gastropub and you love that place, CC. It's perfectly wonderful - superb food, great beers, and cool people.

I don't know, maybe we should not let people make money and let business and neighborhoods die an economic death because we fear a little saffron or dill in our food. (I bet people still do plenty of shots at that place and I bet it's nothing like Crapplebees.)

Artie2002
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Artie2002 »

Girlie wrote:Pfft! Get over it! A bar is a business and they need to make money. If you have such a hard time with the "dive bars" closing down and turning into gastropubs make the dive bars more profitable by visiting them more so they don't choose the more profitable option. If not, then shut up and let people make money, maybe someone else will see that dive bar element missing and take his turn. (Circle of life, as Frank said.) Could you imagine society giving you shit for accepting more money at your job?
Classic! And I couldn't agree more!

Girlie

Post by Girlie »

Artie2002 wrote:
Girlie wrote:Pfft! Get over it! A bar is a business and they need to make money. If you have such a hard time with the "dive bars" closing down and turning into gastropubs make the dive bars more profitable by visiting them more so they don't choose the more profitable option. If not, then shut up and let people make money, maybe someone else will see that dive bar element missing and take his turn. (Circle of life, as Frank said.) Could you imagine society giving you shit for accepting more money at your job?
Classic! And I couldn't agree more!
Thank you! You are now "Smarty Artie" to me.

Artie2002
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Artie2002 »

Wow! Smarty Artie!

I love it when women talk the talk to me!

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

i love standard tap. jus' saying.
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

Artie2002
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Artie2002 »

liz... wrote:i love standard tap. jus' saying.
That could be taken more ways than one.

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

Artie2002 wrote:
but it WON'T b/c people who know me know that i'm talking about the bar..not about some bullshit double entendre.
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

Artie2002
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Artie2002 »

liz... wrote:
Artie2002 wrote:
but it WON'T b/c people who know me know that i'm talking about the bar..not about some bullshit double entendre.
Entendre? Spare me the insinuation!

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Standard Tap is defined as a gastropub and you love that place, CC. It's perfectly wonderful - superb food, great beers, and cool people.

I don't know, maybe we should not let people make money and let business and neighborhoods die an economic death because we fear a little saffron or dill in our food. (I bet people still do plenty of shots at that place and I bet it's nothing like Crapplebees.)
For every Standard Tap that opens, there's a 700 Club or a Johnny Brenda's.

The formula is this: "The bar was previously the kind of place that the kind of people who grew up in that neighborhood would go to. The hip new super-cool Center City owners decided to turn it into a place where the kinda guy who wears girls' jeans and really needs a steak-and-a-haircut can come in and talk about his rare vinyl collection."

I have no problem with a bar serving good food. My favorite bar, Hykel's in Ardmore, serves excellent food. Their steaks are big and juicy and better than any deli or pizza place. And their ribs are delicious, smothered in bbq sauce and seared on the grill. And they've got sweet potato fries. All the cooks there know me and know my orders.

But what you will find in the bar is a real neighborhood culture. You don't see people traveling there from a gentrified neighborhood because its a hip place to be seen or because they have The Smiths on the jukebox, people walk there because its the bar on the corner and all of their friends and neighbors are there. And they range from the mailmen to professors from Haverford College to the garbage man who drives a rig now to roofers and plumbers and accountants and lawyers.

And you learn things there, that you can apply to real life. How to build a buttressing wall to sure-up your foundation, how to sister a joist, how to get your CDL, how to file your income taxes.

What are you going to learn at the new hipster gastropub? What message board to post on if you need to find somebody who knows somebody who can weatherproof your roof?

I'm sure there will be shots done at this new place. I'm sure there'll be plenty of Sparks and Redbulls and Vodkas, too. And I'm sure that the hipsters there will drink plenty of Lionshead Light, "the thinking-man's light beer," ("Dude, its, like, the kind of beer that Springsteen would drink." "Shhh, quiet, somebody just put Woodie Guthrie on the jukebox, and I read somewhere that we're supposed to like this guy.")
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

coqui_chris wrote: ("Dude, its, like, the kind of beer that Springsteen would drink." "Shhh, quiet, somebody just put Woodie Guthrie on the jukebox, and I read somewhere that we're supposed to like this guy.")
("Yeah, like didn't he mentor that Bob Dylan dude, or something?")
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Bluespook
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Bluespook »

Can still find good dive bars all over the midwest. Just sayin.
Beer's just being social. Whiskey's drinkin'.

msz87
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by msz87 »

Two days ago I saw a man carrying a baby while his wife pushed a brand new cappuccino machine in their fancy stroller.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

msz87 wrote:Two days ago I saw a man carrying a baby while his wife pushed a brand new cappuccino machine in their fancy stroller.
You mean they weren't both riding road-bikes with babies in the back-pack carriers?
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk