Liver & other health issues

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Severe Liver Damage?

Post by Wingman »

acetomeniphen don't even work. that would be one thing, even with the liver damage.

i hear good old-fashioned aspirin is still around, but ibies are my go-to pain reliever, if i can't get housed.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

You are all the biggest bunch of sissies I ever met
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

drys hurt knit is an anagram of thirsty drunk
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

My esteemed fellow drunkards are correct - acetaminophen is to be run in the opposite direction of by those of us who enjoy a cocktail or 12 - even on days when you're not drinkin'. I knew a young girl who unknowingly killed herself by destroying her liver with Tylenol PM and wine. She wasn't yet 30. She didn't even survive the liver transplant (died on the table) She was havin' trouble sleeping and combined the two for some undetermined amount of time (weeks/months - not years). Stay away from acetaminophen.

And remember to take your milk thistle and drink your lemon water!
This message brought to you by your local milk thistlers and lemonists. And the Ad Council.
Last edited by NYDingbat on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Wow. It is serious business, didn't know it was the #1 cause of liver failure.

I was runnin a fever all yesterday(might have an infection then, I guess) but I stuck with EJ brandy when it got really bad, slept like 10 hours, feel better. Those pushers can keep their pills
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by John Barleycorn »

Now go yell at that Dr. for giving you bad shit! Tell her that this isn't your first fucking time at the goddamned rodeo and that she can take her pills and cram them.

John Barleycorn

Post by John Barleycorn »

NYDingbat wrote:My esteemed fellow drunkards are correct - acetaminophen is to be run in the opposite direction by those of us who enjoy a cocktail - even on days when you're not drinkin'. I know a young girl who unknowingly killed herself by destroying her liver with Tylenol PM and wine. She wasn't yet 30. She didn't even survive the liver transplant (died on the table) She was havin' trouble sleeping and combined the two for some undetermined amount of time (weeks/months - not years). Stay away from acetaminophen.

I'll be easing my relatively newfound rheumatoid arthritis pain hopefully with the remicade infusions I get for the Crohn's and colitis. It helped a bit last time with the swelling. Still killing me. Only saying so those in a similar situation don't have to search as much for a doctor or treatment.
Good warning. And anyone who is using tylenolpm as a sleep aid should be informed that you can get the PM without the tylenol by taking benedryl or sominex (same stuff).

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

John Barleycorn wrote:
NYDingbat wrote:My esteemed fellow drunkards are correct - acetaminophen is to be run in the opposite direction by those of us who enjoy a cocktail - even on days when you're not drinkin'. I knew a young girl who unknowingly killed herself by destroying her liver with Tylenol PM and wine. She wasn't yet 30. She didn't even survive the liver transplant (died on the table) She was havin' trouble sleeping and combined the two for some undetermined amount of time (weeks/months - not years). Stay away from acetaminophen.

Good warning. And anyone who is using tylenolpm as a sleep aid should be informed that you can get the PM without the tylenol by taking benedryl or sominex (same stuff).

It was awful. She was driving to work and had abdominal pains and went to the hospital. Poor girl was dead a few days later. Lovely young woman. It's a pity.

And Mr. Barleycorn, may I respectfully suggest we drunkards get the PM from the hooch! I sleep juuuuust fine with a bellyfulla Mother Russia's finest. You drink enough (and take yer milk thistle!) you'll spend plenty of time at rest in your bed. Or on the floor. Or in the bathtub.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

NYDingbat wrote: Stay away from acetaminophen.
Paracetamol.

KissMyPabst
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by KissMyPabst »

Damn, I've been taking vodka nyquils (on the rocks, of course) for years now to cure every ailment of the ears, nose, and/or throat.
Can I pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
A little early isn't it, Woody?
For a beer?
No, for stupid questions...

"I got me a bottle and a dream, it's so maudlin it seems..."

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

KissMyPabst wrote:Damn, I've been taking vodka nyquils (on the rocks, of course) for years now to cure every ailment of the ears, nose, and/or throat.
You need to switch to purple drank.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Opiates and painkillers...ok if you are careful. Benzos and painkillers...ok again, just DO NOT sleep on your back (vomit chocking risk), NSAIDs (ibubrofen, naproxen, diclofenac)...can give you indigestion but not too bad.

Acetaminophen (or paracetamol as its known here in the UK) bad combo, prolonged use is dangerous. Short term use and a dosage of no more than 4000mg a day (the usual dose of 2 pills 4 times daily that is) ok but only short term.

If you have been told to take Acetaminophen and nothing else then your on basic pain meds, just get some ibuprofen and fuck that shit off, it hardly works any way.

Also my reasoning for all this is: experience, my GPs advice, the fact that 500mg Acetaminophen is OTC safe, and i'm a biomed student so have learned a little about drugs and human physiology. I take it for hangovers with my hair of the dog. My last liver function test was fine and I was on opiate pain relief, benzos, Acetaminophen, ibuprofen and drinking in what is known by medically trained people as "Heavily" (with the capital H I may add).

The safest route is dont mix...but then again everyone is different. I doubt it will causes irreparable damage unless you already have some serious liver problems anyway though.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

And what the fluke is wrong with plain old aspirin? On the extremely rare occasions that I need something to stop my throbbing head (8 hours of my hyperactive, screaming grandson, or five minutes spent with my mom and dad), I pop a couple of drugstore brand aspirins, and hide in a closet for a while, with 3 or 4 ounces of bourbon, until I can stand to return to the circus.
like tears in rain

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

Whine with Cheez wrote:And what the fluke is wrong with plain old aspirin?
It does seem to cause problems for some folk. Many foods thin the blood and they shouldn't be eaten when on aspirin as aspirin causes internal bleeding, besides it's a man made synthetic these days. It may be better to boil up a pan full of willow twigs for a more natural effect (but don't quote me on that).

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

The Limey wrote:
Whine with Cheez wrote:And what the fluke is wrong with plain old aspirin?
It does seem to cause problems for some folk. Many foods thin the blood and they shouldn't be eaten when on aspirin as aspirin causes internal bleeding, besides it's a man made synthetic these days. It may be better to boil up a pan full of willow twigs for a more natural effect (but don't quote me on that).
Its made synthetically from salicylic acid, which is the same substance found in willow bark. So its the same effective ingredient just purer.

Drug synthesis is a good thing, not a bad thing. It makes the natural remedies actually work properly. Its surprising how easy aspirin is to make as well. Interesting fact the same guy who invented aspirin also invented heroin...
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!