CCC the call to arms.

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Hardcore Stig
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: CCC the call to arms.

Post by Hardcore Stig »

Also the Edinburgh Capitols Ice hockey team play at home vs Fife on the Sunday, face off at 6pm, could be worth a look to finish off the weekend.
"That's only a problem if you stop drinking"

"Nationality? I'm a drunkard, and that makes me a man of the world"

"The word "pub" should never need to be followed by the word "why""

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

We should indeed decide on a common hotel (I booked and then canceled). I guess Shane's dentist is in the best position for doing recommendations.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

That would make sense. As of Thursday, I have a few days off work and may as well start making enquiries.

While I can't claim to know Edinburgh all that well, it'll not be a problem to bother a few hotels and see about group rates and such. Of course, it would help to have a rough idea of exactly how many people will be attending.

Boozy, kowalski, Hardcore Stig, tomodon (?), Bur?

At any rate, I'll search around. This unpleasant shit must be sorted so that we can forget about it quickly.

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by kowalski »

That's cool. I was going to book into a cheap hostel such as this on http://castlerockedinburgh.com/, but if you can find a decent cheapish hotel instead then that would probably be preferable.

My plan is to travel up on Friday evening and then travel back down on Sunday evening. Just need to figure out the best way of getting there - train tickets are really expensive and I think it might be cheaper and quicker to fly from Birmingham. I should have it sorted by the end of this week.
Snakebite & Blue Bols <-- The Drink of Champions

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

My plan was to get there on the Saturday morning and get back home on the Monday beginning of the afternoon, but if enough of us arrive there on the friday, then Friday it will be. just let me know so that I can change my flight booking informations in time.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Friday or Saturday?

Premier Inn are offering double rooms (x2, or more if we can confirm that more than four people will be attending) that would cost us each £55 in total, for the two nights. However, I'm trying to phone them and make sure the beds are separated! Shouldn't be an issue, and said hotel is within walking distance of Edinburgh Castle and many pubs.

Obviously, there's no use in us booking too many rooms, but I'd be hoping to book in the next few days before some bagpiping festival gets announced and all hotels become full. You'd be surprised how often that happens.

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Hardcore Stig wrote:Also the Edinburgh Capitols Ice hockey team play at home vs Fife on the Sunday, face off at 6pm, could be worth a look to finish off the weekend.
I'll admit to knowling very little about ice hockey, but it seems a sport that'd go well with alcohol, so that may be a good shout!

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Shane's Dentist wrote:Friday or Saturday?

Premier Inn are offering double rooms (x2, or more if we can confirm that more than four people will be attending) that would cost us each £55 in total, for the two nights. However, I'm trying to phone them and make sure the beds are separated! Shouldn't be an issue, and said hotel is within walking distance of Edinburgh Castle and many pubs.

Obviously, there's no use in us booking too many rooms, but I'd be hoping to book in the next few days before some bagpiping festival gets announced and all hotels become full. You'd be surprised how often that happens.
I'm in.

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

God dammit. If anyone funds my trip I'll literally murder for you. I've drank all my money away.

Hardcore Stig

Post by Hardcore Stig »

Shane's Dentist wrote:Friday or Saturday?

I'm in too, any proce on singles as well? Was wondering in case some folk can make one night but not the other.

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Stig, single rooms, bizarrely, seem not to be available over that weekend. Of course, we can always consider another Premier Inn, as they all seem to share a similar pricing.

This is the site for booking. My advice is to search for "Edinburgh Haymarket" and look for two nights from Friday 21st October.

Right now, I'm finding that a double room (twin beds) under the "Premier Saver" option can be booked for £128 - or £64 each. At the risk of losing out on this, I think I may book now. Sooner we sort this shit, the better.

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

BOOKED. Damn, that calls for a drink.

If anyone needs a hand with the booking, be sure and let me know. It seems that the balance isn't actually due until arrival, either....which is nice.

Hardcore Stig

Post by Hardcore Stig »

Found these 2 options for apartments as a possible option, would give us a lounge for pre pub drinks or after party:

http://www.laterooms.com/en/hotel-reser ... burgh.aspx

£220 for 3 people, so about £73 each

or the one I liked:

£198, sleeps 4 so about £50 each.

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Hardcore Stig wrote:Found these 2 options for apartments as a possible option, would give us a lounge for pre pub drinks or after party:

or the one I liked:

Good find, Stig. Last time I had trouble in booking apartments in Edinburgh once, and the idea went to the back of my mind as a result. I was also led to believe that apartments tend to request payment (or at least a downpayment) at least six weeks in advance. Maybe not?

Unfortunately, I'm tied to my hotel as the booking is non-refundable.

Hardcore Stig

Post by Hardcore Stig »

Shane's Dentist wrote:
Hardcore Stig wrote:Found these 2 options for apartments as a possible option, would give us a lounge for pre pub drinks or after party:

or the one I liked:

Good find, Stig. Last time I had trouble in booking apartments in Edinburgh once, and the idea went to the back of my mind as a result. I was also led to believe that apartments tend to request payment (or at least a downpayment) at least six weeks in advance. Maybe not?

Unfortunately, I'm tied to my hotel as the booking is non-refundable.
Just a thought, to be honesty, after last time I think it's a very good idea if we all stay in the same place or at least within falling down distance of one another. I will go with the mob though lol.

I'll be booking train tickets very soon, just need to know if the hockey game is a yes or no so I know what time to book a return.