Beers to try

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

rune wrote:Hey, wait a minute, it's the autumnal equinox.
They've never made an oktoberfest beer have they? The xmas ale that I've tried was rather good.
Good call, Rune.

I don't believe that they have ever made an Oktoberfest. At least not for general release. Gordon Biersch is the local German-style brewer. Anchor seems to brew in it's own refined, unique style.
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

rune
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by rune »

I've been working far too much, had just about forgotten it was Oktoberfest.
I'll have to visit the local special grocery store that stocks such seasonal brews.

I really would like to make it to Munich someday.

Bails
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Bails »

I love Summer Beer.

And by that I mean my own concotion which I call Summer Beer:

Ingrediants:
2 handles of cheap vodka
6-8 frozen lemonades(The cans you get at the grocery store)
2 cases of ice beer
1 giant cooler

Directions:
1. Pour every single one of the beers into the cooler.(I know it's hard but don't drink any.)
2.Squeeze the shit out of those cheap plastic vodka bottles and get every last drop into the beer.
3. Open all the lemonades, and melt them all thourely into the concotion. Mix until your head hurts.
4. Start drinking that shit and don't stop until you have a "head in a cardboard box" drunk.

Trust me that shit is awesome

Leftboston
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Post by Leftboston »

I rather dislike the american microbrew `summer brew' genre. Rather drink a good german wheizen or maybe a Widmer weizen. I will look for the Anchor though on your recommendation.

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

I love the Anchor Summer beer almost as much as I love their July 4th Liberty Ale.

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

junkman wrote: I will look for the Anchor though on your recommendation.
Thanks, Junkman. Hopefully you will not be disappointed. The brewery has always prided itself on being "ahead of the curve" in beer trends, but each of their offerings are always refined and sublime. I hope you enjoy.
Rooster wrote:I love the Anchor Summer beer almost as much as I love their July 4th Liberty Ale.
Word. It's subtle perfection puts many IPAs to shame.
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

Leftboston
Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Post by Leftboston »

Christ I had that liberty ale a long time ago. Theres a fuck ton of beer under the bridge since then. I'll try that too.

Resident Asshole

Join me in a new adventure...Beer of the Week

Post by Resident Asshole »

Here is how it works. My friend and I are semi-regularly getting new beers in at a bar we are renovating. I will list a beer every week or so and we all try it. I will put up a poll and we can all vote on the beer.

I will also post beers which we tasted but turned down, that way hopefully I can save a few people from wasting their money on inferior beers.

Before we begin, let me tell you my biases:

I do not generally like wheat beers, light beers, or the lighter lagers.

I like ales, be it IPAs, pales, browns, stouts, or any other kind of ale.

With that in mind, here is the first BOTW:

Winters Bourbon Cask Ale

http://www.ratebeer.com/Brewers/Beer/Be ... -54136.htm

A new flavor from A-Busch, I tasted this beer with a grain of salt (not literally). I personally find this beer to be better than its ratings would show. This beer has quite a strong scotch ale flavor, with lots of spice and a strong vanilla head. Right up my alley, and quite surprising considering I unequivocally hate every other AB product.

Please discuss.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

UnkleLemmy
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by UnkleLemmy »

If I remember too Ill lookfor this and post my results.
But mind you a I'm a pretty forgetfull drunk.
Savage: "Unkle Lemmy looks just like his avatar, and that is hawt. Also, he sends me a crate of bourbon every month and for this, when I die, he will inherit my castle in Savagonia, and my 72 virgins. (They are all good boys, and very hard workers.)"

Whitekiboko
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Whitekiboko »

i havent tried it this season but last year wasnt bad... if you want the relative answer keeping in mind it is AB, pretty good....
"I am not a ferry boat, I am a very manly sloop. Wherever I go, people stare at me in dumb admiration."
"Yeah? What happens when they speak?"
"Nevermind that..."

Tuffy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Tuffy »

A drinkable AB beverage?

Man, I had trouble just typing that unlikely phrase.
Nvnc est bibendvm.

mr.dirty pants
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by mr.dirty pants »

I'm the "greenrooster" on that site so you can take my review for what its worth.

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Yards ESA

Post by steved2112 »

Gauge Macfearson wrote:I will continue to buy local from those I know to be truly local.

I wasn't sure if I should make this a response to this thread, or a PM to Gauge. I decided to make a new topic to promote Yards here. They really get it folks.

Yards ESA is my favorite beer overall these days. It is almost a convenience that it is a Philly beer, since it is the taste that earns it such regard.

It is my sincere hope that many opportunities arise for me to buy any of this conglomerate rounds of ESA from a hand pulled tap in Philly.
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

Barca

Post by Barca »

Heh, forgot I responded to the RR thread.

Give us a more detailed review of the Yards, I've never even heard of it.

Are we talking good Yuengling level or Dogfish Head level?
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

Barca wrote:Heh, forgot I responded to the RR thread.

Give us a more detailed review of the Yards, I've never even heard of it.

Are we talking good Yuengling level or Dogfish Head level?
Unsure, sir. Yuengling is not to my taste, and Dogfish Head I still have yet to grasp intimately. Judging by Dogfhish Head's high esteem among beer ratings, I'd say closer to the latter. They make Yards ESA in bottles and I will send you and the lady some if I may.

It is very spicy and hoppy. On the hand-pulled taps it is served best at The Standard Tap - 2nd and Poplar. Lightly carbonated and hinting at caramel, the creamy texture makes sure it has a solid grasp of your taste buds before maturing into a thirst quenching yet darkly spiced beer experience. At 6% ABV it packs a respectable punch. But flavor alone drives my love for this regional delight.

Yards is in their twelfth year, and they have a collaboration with Philadelphia's landmark City Tavern to produce period beers from the founding fathers' own recipes, which are also recently available in bottles.

http://www.yardsbrewing.com says it best I'm sure. And here is a review that is obviously driven by a more well versed palate than my own:
http://www.epinions.com/content_146885807748
The “Bitter” beer style is one that few people seem to be paying much attention to these days. Perhaps it is the distinction between “ordinary” bitter or the “extra special bitter” that confounds brewers and consumers alike. Or, it may be that the pale ale style pretty much covers the bitter area in people’s minds. Brewers here in the USA would rather, it seems, concentrate on the latest new fangled fruit beer, an ultra hopped pale ale or introduce another lager to compete with the masses of lagers on the market.

Bitters are highly drinkable ales, carrying some of the characteristics of the pale ale, but with less of a “hop kiss” and more of the added sweetness from a considerable malt base. The “ordinary” bitter is one with a lower alcohol by volume (ABV) content (usually around 3.5 percent) which makes it a preferred tradition for a round or two.

The “extra special bitter” style, however, has an interesting history as it is a beer style derived from one specific ale, Fuller’s Extra Special Bitter from Great Britain. Originally introduced in 1969 as “ Winter Bitter, “ Fuller’s renamed it “ESB” when they later made it a year-round offering. It is a stronger version (5.5 percent ABV and above) of the so-called “ordinary” bitter. The beer’s reputation is such that other brewer’s have adopted it as a style of its own. [See Michael Jackson’s Great Beer Guide, page 177, for a detailed description of Fuller's ESB.]

Thankfully, some brewers in the USA have attempted and delivered their own highly stylized and nuanced ESBs, such as Yards Brewing Company of Philadelphia. Yards (http://www.yardsbrewing.com) has been in business since 1994 and has steadily expanded both in size and offerings. They currently produce nine different brews (6 year round, 3 seasonal).

Yards states their purpose on their Web site thusly:

“Yards ALES are brewed in the tradition and style of English and Belgian Brewers with a Revolutionary American interpretation. All of our beer is naturally cask and bottle conditioned to bring you as close to the original characteristics of each style that we brew.”

With their version of the ESB, which they offer under the moniker Extra Special Ale, they have impressed me with an ale that delivers all the characteristics of an ESB that I enjoy: a full bodied ale with a taste profile that evenly walks the malt/hop continuum and features a beauteous copper color. Yards ESA is a good looking bitter with a firm head of beer lace and a floral note that hints at a different kind of fragrance; an intoxicating mix of cedar, pine, grass, and flowers.

The mouthfeel is a definitely to the full bodied side of the things. The malt sweetness is firm and strong throughout, almost to the taste of butterscotch. The sweetness is wrestled into submission at the finish by a an equally strong zest of hops; a tart bitterness lingers at the finish as the two taste extremes mix. It is a surprisingly “tasteful” beer, even with the odd fragrance that permeates the ale.

Yards insistence on making bottle-conditioned ales can not be overlooked as an added strength. Yards ESA is bottled conditioned, meaning a small amount of yeast and sugars are added prior to bottling. The ale undergoes a secondary fermentation as the yeast remains active in the bottle and “conditions” or naturally carbonates the ale over time. Bottle conditioning also allows the buyer to store the beer longer if desired.

It is a thoroughly enjoyable ESB and an intriguing session choice (four stars). At about 6-percent ABV, Yards ESA can have something of a latent kick to it as well. I would recommend this as a rather intriguing opportunity to introduce other beer fans to an interesting beer style and taste experience.

What I especially like about Yards products, is that not only are they one of the few brewers here in the USA that have a real sense of the historical importance of ale here in the states, but that they have found a way to take that historical focus and use it to deliver some really well done ales that match or exceed contemporary offerings. By keeping to their stated goal of continuing with a colonial emphasis on the beers they offer, they deliver beer lovers a “history lesson in a glass” as well.

At $6.99-7.50 a six-pack, Yards ESA is probably not an everyday beer, but it certainly can be an “extra special day” beer.

(Note: It is now available at the Phillies new ballpark so beer and baseball remains a perfect marriage.)
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald