Improvement? I say, Quite the opposite ...

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Improvement? I say, Quite the opposite ...

Post by coqui_chris »

The early online buzz that tagged the Memphis as yet another "yuppie" bar rankled Hartranft. After all, he has worked 70 hours a week with his partners and wife, Leigh Maida, to transform an aging shot-and-a-beer hall that once hosted wet-T-shirt contests into an ambitious bar and neighborhood restaurant where hipster families now flock to brunch.
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_up ... proom.html

Is it me, or does it sound better the original way?
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

DrinkPlanner
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Re: Improvement? I say, Quite the opposite ...

Post by DrinkPlanner »

"Hipster families now flock to brunch" just might be the most odious phrase ever created. This sounds like a travesty.

Judge

Post by Judge »

I know that when I go to my local if the panzanella is soggy it is offputting however, it's bragging rights if you can claim to be competing well against Applebees..................pffft!
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

Modern Drunkard
Site Admin

Post by Modern Drunkard »

Those swine. They rankle at the term "yuppie bar" for something described as "an ambitious bar and neighborhood restaurant where hipster families now flock to brunch." That is the very definition of a goddamn yuppie bar. That said, I'm a big believer in free market economics. Times as they are, as that travesty rises, in other pars of Memphis, there will be other formerly "respectable" bars sliding gently into dive status. It's all part of the beautiful circle of life.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

coqui_chris wrote:
The early online buzz that tagged the Memphis as yet another "yuppie" bar rankled Hartranft. After all, he has worked 70 hours a week with his partners and wife, Leigh Maida, to transform an aging shot-and-a-beer hall that once hosted wet-T-shirt contests into an ambitious bar and neighborhood restaurant where hipster families now flock to brunch.
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_up ... proom.html

Is it me, or does it sound better the original way?
It's you, c_c (and me too).

Sounds fairly yupped-out to me.

When you have to use multi-syllable, hyphenated adjectives and pronouns when describing pub food, you're talking SERIOUS Y-factor. American pub food is MEAT-chili, burgers, fries, dogs, wings, popcorn, pretzels (the egg on toast sounded proper).

Maybe they should fire the foo-foo chef and hire a good cheesesteak-man to oversee the kitchen. I mean, how good does the current "precious chef" do pickled eggs and pork rinds?

c_c, are you gonna do some local "field research" and give us a real-world (inquiring minds and all) rundown on this place?

The Philly Inq writer seemed a might on the yuppish-side himself.

***EDIT***

Just a thought; has anyone EVER acknowledged being one or gone so far as to revel in their yuppiedom?

I mean, these people DO know who/what they are, right...?
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

I would agree with Frank; places change for better or worse depending on your point-of view.

A bar is a business, there to make money for the owner. Regulars sometimes seem to take a proprietary interest in a joint having established social networks and spent dollars there, but they are still just customers. If yuppies buying haute cuisine makes the place more money than my cheap draft backed by a bar bourbon, then so be it.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Smatter Noguts wrote:I would agree with Frank; places change for better or worse depending on your point-of view.

A bar is a business, there to make money for the owner. Regulars sometimes seem to take a proprietary interest in a joint having established social networks and spent dollars there, but they are still just customers. If yuppies buying haute cuisine makes the place more money than my cheap draft backed by a bar bourbon, then so be it.
I think c_c's issue might be that they're trying too hard to present themselves as a "down home" kinda joint (I mean, the writer drew comparisons with Applebee's), without earning that cred.

I don't disagree with your points, Smatter, but yuppification IS eroding the landscape of old-style drinking places. It's a tricky call. Maybe c_c will investigate personally and post, 'cause the article sounded weak.

I mean, the only regular beer they have is MHL? I wonder(?) if they free-pour their liquor, for instance...
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

You won't get an argument from me; the bars I like best are dark, small, slightly odiferous places in older nieghborhoods that are sparcely populated by old guys that hand-pour generous hard liquor drinks and don't charge an arm and a leg.

35 years ago I bartended at a place called "The Grotto" on 28th st. in Grand Rapids, it was a hook-up dance bar that capitolized on the 18 year old drinking age, cheap Singapore slings, Blue Hawaiians and God-knows-what foofie drinks for the chicks and beer pitchers for the dudes. The owner saw the handwriting on the wall with a 21 year old limit due in the legislature and went upscale to try and bring in a better class of people; since I was starting business school he showed me the plan and I told him that giving up a cover charge and the rough trade would kill the place, he was focused on the amount per customer numbers and how many more tables he could put in with a more food-centered approach. He lost his old clientele with out picking up a new one and went out within 6 months.

Maybe that will happen to the Philli place, I have no clue.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

peetie44 wrote:I mean, the only regular beer they have is MHL? I wonder(?) if they free-pour their liquor, for instance...
And Lionshead Light, described as "the thinking-man's Light Beer."

Lionshead, and Lionshead Light, are brewed at a contract-brewery in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. Wilkes Barre is, of course, the Bethlehem, PA to Scranton's Allentown.

Anyways, these beers come in bottles for $9.99.
$9.99 for 24 12oz bottles? What a steal! you say?
Or, maybe a scam of all the ass-ends of all that contract-brewering poured into a brown glass bottle.
Either or.

And why is it the "thinking-man's Light Beer?" Because its cheapness and the fact that it comes from an old industrial city makes the yuppie/hipster "think" that it imbues him with a certain blue-collar street cred, the kind he so desperately craves by moving into old factory loft buildings, flannel shirt wearing, thrift store shopping.
(I've also learned that hipsters have recently embraced Bruce Springsteen's early E Street era music. This saddens me)
This is the beer of the hipster who thinks he's the savior of America's inner city, and "thinks" he's a species above the old neighborhood shot-and-a-beer crowd.

Although, in Philly, the hipster has been innoculated to the shot-and-a-beer by Bob and Barbara's and the Tritone, where PBR and a shot of Beam have been marketed to the girl-jeans-wearing crowd. So knock one back, and rub the excess out of your ironic mustache with the back of your hand, you brave urban renewer, you!

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Post by Rip Rufus »

coqui_chris wrote:moving into old factory loft buildings, flannel shirt wearing, thrift store shopping.
(I've also learned that hipsters have recently embraced Bruce Springsteen's early E Street era music. This saddens me)
This is the beer of the hipster who thinks he's the savior of America's inner city, and "thinks" he's a species above the old neighborhood shot-and-a-beer crowd.

Although, in Philly, the hipster has been innoculated to the shot-and-a-beer by Bob and Barbara's and the Tritone, where PBR and a shot of Beam have been marketed to the girl-jeans-wearing crowd. So knock one back, and rub the excess out of your ironic mustache with the back of your hand, you brave urban renewer, you
!
People like that are one of the best arguments for drinking at home.
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

Trebek
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Trebek »

Don't be jaded about Lion's head, Chris. It does the job on the cheap.

Oh, and I can't believe anyone here has even HEARD of fucking Scranton.
You know why I love Whiskey? It goes from recreational drug to prescription anesthetic at precisely the moment you realize it needs to.

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Post by Rip Rufus »

Trebek wrote:Don't be jaded about Lion's head, Chris. It does the job on the cheap.

Oh, and I can't believe anyone here has even HEARD of fucking Scranton.
Almost went to college there - King's College, but decided against it.
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

FarmerJones
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by FarmerJones »

Hopefully there will always be a home for dive bars. I've seen them tucked quietly away in upscale business districts all the time....sure, some may close or change their business hoping to make more profit, but I'm sure the one who don't change like it even more when they get new regulars.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

FarmerJones wrote:Hopefully there will always be a home for dive bars. I've seen them tucked quietly away in upscale business districts all the time....sure, some may close or change their business hoping to make more profit, but I'm sure the one who don't change like it even more when they get new regulars.
It always seemed to me that a successful old-man/dive-bar had one very important thing going for it: neighborhood customers.

As in, at least 85-90% of the inhabitants at any given time, lived -- or worked --within a couple of miles -- or even blocks -- of the place. Everyone pretty much knew everyone and the mix reflected this. You could have a cop, a plumber, a lawyer, the mailman, a nurse, a welder, a CPA, a beautician, a store clerk, a doctor, a housewife or two, a garbage collector, a few local college students and some retirees all sharing drinks and enjoying time together.

What made it work? They were usually all neighborhood locals and mostly knew (or knew of) one another. You would have working class people and area professionals (whether they lived there or not) drinking together with geezers and kids because they all knew the neighborhood and it's vibe.

They were comfortable in that surrounding.

What makes some of these recent "insta-dives" NOT work is that they are often advertising outside the immediate area and so become trendy "destination bars" in the eyes of some of their more occasional and transient, non-local customers.

People coming in from outside the neighborhood and -- while that's cool to a degree -- suddenly you're having a large turnover of strangers passing through. And, sadly, some of these "passers through" just don't understand neighborhood-bar etiquette.

Here's to the TRUE local bars everywhere, and their denizens!

**clink**

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

peetie44 wrote:What makes some of these recent "insta-dives" NOT work is that they are often advertising outside the immediate area and so become trendy "destination bars" in the eyes of some of their more occasional and transient, non-local customers.

People coming in from outside the neighborhood and -- while that's cool to a degree -- suddenly you're having a large turnover of strangers passing through. And, sadly, some of these "passers through" just don't understand neighborhood-bar etiquette.

Here's to the TRUE local bars everywhere, and their denizens!

**clink**
Couldn't have said it better.

And
People like that are one of the best arguments for drinking at home.
Some people don't have enough room for a shuffleboard or a pool table in their rowhome.