What are you reading now?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

What are you reading now?

Post by Savage »

Me? Nothing even remotely intellectual, I must confess. Tonight, I am finishing up "Eccentric Glamour" by Simon Doonan. And no, this book has nothing to do with alcohol, other than the author found that he needed to give it up, some years ago. But still, he has a Modern Drunkard heart, a joie de vivre that makes me wish that I could hang out with him.
like tears in rain

calx
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by calx »

dharma bums by kerouac. yab yum baby!
Watch "The Money Masters" on youtube and read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin to unveil the true enemy.

Innovating the human race to extinction.™

Long live David Icke!

noirly
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by noirly »

iron kissed ...patricia briggs
Bacchus has drowned more than Neptune ever did.

render me persona-fuck-offa ---smatter noguts

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Black Mass about Whitey Bulger and the way he plays the shit out of the FBI.
Imagine, murdering somebody over jai alai.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

calx wrote:dharma bums by kerouac. yab yum baby!
Ever read Doctor Sax? It fuckin sucksssss
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

Descarte's Bones by Russell Shorto.

I've always enjoyed tinkering and playing around with the mind-body dichotomy. I drink therefore I am. Dualism. Whatever you want to call it. Shorto positions Descarte as the thinker/writer who effectively birthed Modernism. With the Age of enlightenment framed as a battle between reason and religion, Descarte fused much of these to concepts together and at the same time, blew some aspects apart.

Reason based discussions re: transubstantiation, the fixity of species and how science cannot possibly objectify the realm of thought/belief/ideals/the mind are always better when slightly juiced.
fuck em man, it ain't easy walkin the righteous path.
- Hoss

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

right now, some boring non-fiction, but the last book i read was The Tender Bar by j r mohringer (or something like that). really good book on boozing. the guy grows up in a bar, basically. the epilogue kind of ruined the story, i thought, though, so if you can skip that part, do so. but he really nails bar banter and the culture of a really cool bar.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

I just finished A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Towes. Very good book.

As I am rather dry on new books to read at the moment, I will start re-reading one of my favourite books of all time, The Road by Cormac McCarthy--a fantastically hideous (and at the same time beautiful) novel about a man and his young son making a journey (on foot) across a post-apocalyptic U.S.
If you have not read this book, I urge you to pick up a copy.
The cabin sits shut-down, cold-frozen and empty, dead mice in the traps, waiting for me to drink alone there in the dark.
--Smatter

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Ohio Oddities (2nd Edition) by Neil Zurcher.
Ohio has the nations only vacuum cleaner museum.
And the county museum in Lima, Ohio boasts a collection of objects swallowed by local residents and patients at the nearby Lima Mental Hospital.
I could go on and on...

I believe the main purpose of this book is to encourage all Ohio residents to pack up and MOVE.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Labatt_50
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Labatt_50 »

Sons and lovers by DH Lawrence. I want to smack this Paul Morel guy about 80 times in the brain.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Two Hearted wrote: The Road by Cormac McCarthy--a fantastically hideous (and at the same time beautiful) novel about a man and his young son making a journey (on foot) across a post-apocalyptic U.S.
i was traumatized for about 6 weeks after reading this book. of course, i have a young son. i don't reccomend anyone read this book, though it is very well written. actually, that's part of the problem; mccarthy paints such a good picture of such a horrible subject.

if you have any friends you want to fall off the wagon, get them a copy. or any drys you want to turn to drink.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Negromancer »

Right now, I read a shitload of books on medieval archaeology, norse grammar and books about cult practice in norse society.
"The best drink of the day, was the drink he had in his head before the first drink of the day."

Pete G
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Pete G »

Killing Pablo. Coloumbian & U.S. agents hunting cocain kingpin Pablo Escobar.

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

Wingman wrote:
Two Hearted wrote: The Road by Cormac McCarthy--a fantastically hideous (and at the same time beautiful) novel about a man and his young son making a journey (on foot) across a post-apocalyptic U.S.
i was traumatized for about 6 weeks after reading this book. of course, i have a young son. i don't reccomend anyone read this book, though it is very well written. actually, that's part of the problem; mccarthy paints such a good picture of such a horrible subject.

if you have any friends you want to fall off the wagon, get them a copy. or any drys you want to turn to drink.
I have 2 young sons, one of which is about the same age (as I interpreted it--the author never reveals the exact age of the boy) as the boy in the book. And yes, there were certain parts that were absolutely horrific. There were two parts in particular (you probably know the ones) where I actually had to put the book down, and pour myself a stiff drink. It is because of this though, that I think McCarthy did an amazing job--his prose was as sparse and bleak as the world he depicts, yet in spite of it, he manages to portray a truly beautiful and unbreakable bond--that of the love between a father and son. It is a love story in it's most basic form which is remarkably illuminated in contrast to the background of atrocities MacCarthy so aptly illustrates.

I will agree though, it definitely is not the 'feel-good' book of the year...
The cabin sits shut-down, cold-frozen and empty, dead mice in the traps, waiting for me to drink alone there in the dark.
--Smatter

cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by cloud8 »

Last three were:
Anthills of the Savannah by Chinua Achebe - Inside the power elite surrounding an African dictator.
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski - A dog tale with a riff on Hamlet (the evil uncle).
The Tenth Man by Graham Greene - A thriller set in post-war France.

Starting:
Night Train by Martin Amis
ETA: This one is a bit of a gender bender...the author is a male Brit, and his narrator is an American homicide detective who happens to be a woman. Hard boiled and graphic. Hoo!
Last edited by cloud8 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts