Rat pack live on DVD?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Liverman
Booze Head
Booze Head

Rat pack live on DVD?

Post by Liverman »

I could get my hands on the CDs, but there must be a video of the complete show. Couldn't find it.
Any idea, anyone? I'm talking about the real Pat pack of course.
Somebody must have found this somewhere:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M69o5T4aqQ0

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Rat pack live on DVD?

Post by Wingman »

they recorded one live show with a very young johnny carson as the MC. i think it's called "the rat pack live at the sands," though i may be thinking of the CD title. or it may be the same. the CD's better, imo.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Liverman
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Liverman »

Yep.
And there's a very good CD of Dino alone, too "Live from Las Vegas" [1967]... but no DVD on sight.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

sorry, meant to say they video recorded one live show with a very young johnny carson. i've seen it on dvd.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Liverman
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Liverman »

All I've seen is a DVD of the recent fake Rat pack, or a documentary produced by the Travel Channel.
But if it exists, I'll find it somwhere. Thanks !

garv
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by garv »

The video in the clip you posted came from the The Ultimate Rat Pack Collection: Live & Swingin'. You may not have run across it in the DVD section of retail stores, because it comes in a CD case and includes both a live CD and the DVD. It can usually be found mixed in with other CDs in the music section of many stores.

There was also a 200-minute documentary that was produced for A&E's Biography series entitled The Rat Pack: The True Stories of the Original Kings of Cool, which included some footage that was filmed during the original Rat Pack Summit shows that coincided with the filming of Oceans Eleven. I believe those clips originated from home movie footage that an audience member took of the show, and the home movies did not originally capture the entire performance. Still, the clips are cool to see, and the documentary is excellent. The documentary was released in a 2-DVD set. I believe it is out-of-print, but copies are still sold by collectors on Amazon.com and ebay.

Here's a link to my review of the Rat Pack film Robin and the Seven Hoods on my Website, "Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide":
http://www.boozemovies.com/2007/02/robi ... -1964.html

Accompanying the review, you'll find a video clip of the boys performing "Mr. Booze" from the movie. I also have links to the DVDs and some other interesting Rat Pack merchandise below the clip.

Cheers,
garv
Read reviews, news, and features from the world of soused cinema at "Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide." http://www.boozemovies.com/

fiyah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by fiyah »

Sounds beautiful..
22:21 Thirsty i was too drunk to be high
[13:22] <@Veen> I need to find the penis monster
[23:03] <@fabric> dont masturbate to me

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

As Garv pointed out, it's the DVD part of the Live & Swingin' set released in 2003. I remember it originally premiering on TV Land™ around 1998.

More on the back story of it can be found here.
The gig was a benefit in St. Louis for Dismas House, a halfway joint for ex-cons founded by Father Dismas Clark, a.k.a. ""the hoodlum priest.'' This was Sinatra's version of Farm Aid. Johnny Carson is the emcee, a last-minute substitute for Joey Bishop, who had hurt his back ""backing out in Frank's presence,'' Carson cracks. The band is the hard-swinging Count Basie Orchestra, led by a baby-faced Quincy Jones. Close-circuited to 10 cities, the program wasn't seen again until a copy was scavenged out of a closet at Dismas House and the Museum of Television and Radio gave it a bicoastal screening last year, boosting the fascination with Ol' Blue Eyes and his bad-boy brotherhood.
I think I have it on VHS around here somewhere... but that's so last millenium.

Wait... France.... isn't that SECAM?
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"