Drinking has lost it's mojo

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Swede
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: Drinking has lost it's mojo

Post by Swede »

Got my mojo working too, has been for a while now. A diagnosis after a doctors appointment helped, gave me an explanation why I've been feeling the way I have. I still got what I got but knowing is better than not knowing. Not knowing and just feeling like shit blows. Mental shit is heavy shit. Ya, and Bukowski helps too, with the stress.

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

Listen to some Ryan Bingham, his depression makes my life seem like a never-ending popsicle stand. Prol why my love for sad songs is enhanced by booze.
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

Oh, glad to hear you are doing better too,
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

This thread still sucks
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

Yeah, but these two posts are transcendent.....
The scent of stale Miller beer in a bar when you walk in.
The sting on the lips that comes with that first kiss of high-proof Bourbon.
The stunning perspective on the human condition that arrives after the third round.
The soaring laughter that comes after a easy aquaintance has delivered a joke.
The sexuality of a once demure partner opened by the bottle.
The soundness of a blackout sleep.
The smashing rebuke of a heavy hangover.

I could go on and on in this vein; over 40 years of drinking hasn't resulted in boredom for me, limited though my imagination is.
Magic is in the moment and every moment is different, even if you're getting smashed on the same swill in the same place every night.
From time to time, any activity we love can lose its magic. The world into which we discovered it may have changed and passed away. A love for painting can fade when the muse becomes faded. I doesn't mean you've lost your love for the activity but that it no longer holds the same desperate importance to you. It's not a bad or good thing. It just is.

You may find that you feel a need to keep up the boozing because you owe it or yourself to stay the course. Never let a habit you no longer feel an affinity for enslave you. They say booze captures people, and for some it may be true, but for others it liberates us. It has liberated you. Whether you need to continue some arbitrary allegiance to it is up to you.

Should you choose to move on to other things, feel free to do so. Know that the tender taste of that first beer, first whisky will be here waiting for you should you wish to revisit the hauntings of the past.

Booze is not an obligation but a avocation that you can take up or not as you choose. You won't loose your boozer credentials for not getting pissed up on the next Thursday night. I'd imagine that should the mood take you, you could still drink most of your mates right under the table even after an extended dry period.

Liberate yourself my friend from anything you feel obligated to except yourself.

Of course, the next round is on you when you come around.
To Smatter and Judge for making this steaming pile of a thread well worthwhile.
fuck em man, it ain't easy walkin the righteous path.
- Hoss

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Swede wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:54 am
Not sure what this is all about, it just doesn't feel good anymore, not like it used to.

My dad has pretty much stopped drinking. He might drink a couple of beers but that's about it. A couple of years ago I asked him why that is and he said that he didn't know why, it was just that drinking made him a "sourpuss" (his exact word). I didn't get it back then. I could relate to beer sometimes making you feel stuffed but usually it's just about keeping up a good drinking pace.

To him, drinking had lost it's mojo.

A couple of years ago also for me drinking started giving me a different experience; drinking wasn't fun anymore. I found myself becoming a sourpuss just like my dad said he did. The mojo of drinking wasn't there anymore or at least not the same as before.

I can't find any apparent reason why this is. At least nothing I can think of. Maybe it has to do with the level of stress you're experiencing in your average day? Because I've been stressed out at work for the past years and the Friday-directly-after-work-drinks has become more of an unwinder that puts my brain back in a somewhat normal pace instead of what it used to be and what it used to do; a quick way to find the comfort zone with that cozy buzz. I don't get the buzz anymore. Stress reliever yes, absolutely but the mojo, the charm, the spell, the magic; it's all gone. I'm left a numb sourpuss.

I'm 36 years old and have never experienced anything like this before. I've been trying to fight this and I still do, hoping to become friends with the mojo once again but right now it feels like drinking has forever changed.

You older guys out there, have you also experienced this? If so, did it pass and do you know what triggered the change?
Swede wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:42 am
Got my mojo working too, has been for a while now. A diagnosis after a doctors appointment helped, gave me an explanation why I've been feeling the way I have. I still got what I got but knowing is better than not knowing. Not knowing and just feeling like shit blows. Mental shit is heavy shit. Ya, and Bukowski helps too, with the stress.
I stumbled upon this perusing old threads and resurrected it and quoted Swede in hopes he will return to give us a 10 year later update. Did he finally stop drinking like his old man? I hate to admit it, but sometimes I feel the same way about losing the mojo. I enjoy the drink always of course, as he said it takes off the edge and what not. But I also feel like it doesn't affect me the same, like it's harder for me to get the "cozy buzz" as he said. I know a few reasons why and mainly it is attributing to lack of stimuli. For example, being far away from family and friends ever since I moved, not to mention the climate is colder so I don't go out in nature as much and get my outside drink on. Also along with corona virus isolation, everything is closed, not going to bars like I previously did etc. But I still should be able to get shit faced drunk no matter where I am and who I am with and I am having a hell of a time at it most times. I should also add this to "Shit We Hate" thread. I hope to find my drinking mojo again because this will not stand, man!
Okole maluna!

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

nice to see what I was up to 9(not 10) years ago

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Merchant Seaman »

I find this post strange, if you don't wish to drink, don't drink, if bars and hooching has gotten boring to you, go do something else

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

^ ^ ^
A. I do wish to drink and I do. It just doesn't seem to have the same affects as it used to is the problem.
B. The bars aren't open. Nothing is open here.
C. I don't find drinking boring at all.
D. Clearly other drunkards have experienced it.

Not so strange, really.
Okole maluna!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:28 pm
I find this post strange, if you don't wish to drink, don't drink, if bars and hooching has gotten boring to you, go do something else
Odd to me, too. I don't think I've ever experienced what he was talking about as far as drinking losing its mojo. I've had horrible regrets after horrible shit I'd done the night before, but that always passes soon enough. Earlier this year I was drinking every night for weeks on end because of reduced working hours and I needed to detox. But I only needed a week and everything was fine.

It looks like AD's situation is a little different - well a lot different, moving to the other side of the world and then being hit by this fucking pandemic.

oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by oldsmartskunk »

Hugh wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 12:22 am
I've had horrible regrets after horrible shit I'd done the night before, but that always passes soon enough.
Now this i got to hear.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Welp no worries drunkards, I will prevail. To elaborate further, I also find that I sometimes get sleepy before I can even achieve drunkenness and I'm not even that old. Aside from my insomnia bouts that catch up with me, I also think it's because I drink low and slow for several hours instead of hitting it hard and fast like I used to. To help, I also recently began switching it up with tequila into my repertoire. That has been rocking my world. Trying to avoid the rum for now as that will definitely do the job...but I might pull some Hugh moments and that wouldn't be good.
Okole maluna!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

I've never experienced the whole mojo loss so to speak...i did stop drinking every single day a few years back as i found the toll it was taking on my life was outweighing the fun i was having. My dad drinks all day everyday and he is fucked, I wouldn't want to get like him where nothing else matters bar sitting and drinking. He missed his own mums funeral cause of it. I'd rather cut back now to drinking 3-4 days a week and be able to drink and enjoy it for longer...no shade on those that choose otherwise though..

In the end all of us here are on boozes team right? we are rooting for her, proud card carrying members of her fan club!!....sometimes because of that it can be tough to admit to anything that translates into wanting to drink less. I honestly kinda felt like i was letting alcohol down when i cut back a little....like she wouldn't be my mate anymore hahah
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

If I didn`t drink anymore it`s either because I`m dead or switched to shooting up smack
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I think I have said this in other posts but taking a few weeks off to "reset" can have wonderous affects. Your tolerance lowers and you hit your buzz levels sooner and cheaper. While the "dry dock" system isn't the same for everyone, I feel like everyone should try it at least once to see if it works for them.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice