5 Beers No Man Should Drink...

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Cliffie S. Bockerson
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: 5 Beers No Man Should Drink...

Post by Cliffie S. Bockerson »

Light beer really doesn't need to exist, IMO. It doesn't accomplish much of anything.

Take Bud/Bud Light for example.

You need to down about 10 Buds to get the same amount of alcohol you take in from a 12-pack of Bud Light. That's 1450 Bud calories vs. 1320 for Bud Light. That 130-calorie difference seems negligible. What you've done is pay A/B some extra dough to water down your beer is pretty much all.

I think most other macro-type regular/light beer comparisons would come out similarly. Not sure how the low-carb stuff compares, offhand.
"Nossir. Even in my worst delirium I never interfered with the flow of traffic. I never drank any hair tonic, either."

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

anybody tried BL platinum yet? it has a higher abv than bud, yet still has "light" on the label (meaning it has to have 1/3 fewer calories than bud, iirc). is it just alcohol and water, or what?
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

ok, there's a difference in terminology here: "light beer" is used internationally to refer to the type of beer which is most popular in the United States(as opposed to darker lager.) Budweiser, PBR, Miller etc. all fit within that category even if it doesn't say "light" on the can. My answer was using that definition.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

DeeboCools wrote:ok, there's a difference in terminology here: "light beer" is used internationally to refer to the type of beer which is most popular in the United States(as opposed to darker lager.) Budweiser, PBR, Miller etc. all fit within that category even if it doesn't say "light" on the can. My answer was using that definition.
gotcha. but i think there's a legal qualification to use the term in the u.s., based on # of calories. i think a better term for what you meant is an "american lager."
Stupid should hurt.

--ThirstyDrunk

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

holsten diat pils was the UK equivalent. Instead of making the beer weaker, they fermented it to a higher strength so more of the calories came from alcohol instead of malty goodness. Was very popular. They seem to have dropped the "diat" tag and reduced the alcohol though, so I think it's just a regular lager now, made by carlsberg. Cheap though, and comes in classy green and gold cans
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Wingman wrote:anybody tried BL platinum yet? it has a higher abv than bud, yet still has "light" on the label (meaning it has to have 1/3 fewer calories than bud, iirc). is it just alcohol and water, or what?
Yeah I tried one of those. And yeah, alcohol and water just like bud light. Funny thing is, the buddy who gave me one is a bud light drinker and he's been drinking nothing but the platinum since it came out. I told him to be careful or he may end up GETTING DRUNK.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

ThirstyDrunk wrote: Yeah I tried one of those. And yeah, alcohol and water just like bud light. Funny thing is, the buddy who gave me one is a bud light drinker and he's been drinking nothing but the platinum since it came out. I told him to be careful or he may end up GETTING DRUNK.
ha!

Whoever has the most liquor to get the soldiers drunk and send them to be slaughtered... he's the winner.
Stupid should hurt.

--ThirstyDrunk

NightShiftCharlie
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by NightShiftCharlie »

After reading the article, methinks the author was drinking plenty of those beers while either writing it or sending in the pics. Listing the Beast (and including a pic of it), but writing about Old Milwaukee? Seriously? And listing showing a regular Schlitz, but more accurately describing Schlitz Malt Liquor? Mademan gets kudos for Chickipedia, but they need better writers for their articles.
As for light beer; gotta agree with Cliffie.
May you all be hung, drawn, and quartered!
Yes, HUNG - with precious metals and jewels
DRAWN - in a coach and four
and QUARTERED - in the finest homes in the land.

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

I drink Natural Light every day.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Crystal wrote:I drink Natural Light every day.
A) That is acceptable because you ARE NOT A MAN!
π) Won't someone think of the children!?!?
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

Mike and the Judge drink Natty Light. Just saying...
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Crystal wrote:Mike and the Judge drink Natty Light. Just saying...
I always suspected something about that beer.
I think Steve was once spotted drinking some in his favorite high heels.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

slipperyyoke

Post by slipperyyoke »

Crystal wrote:I drink Natural Light every day.
Go for the Natural Ice. More alcohol for your pleasure. Cheers.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

HappyLittleBoozer
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by HappyLittleBoozer »

Budweiser, and Tesco brand beers..I actually feel guilty to say I took a sip of both and poured the rest away. Vile stuff that shouldn't even be labelled fit for human consumption.

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

Game Day Beer. 12/pk for $2.99. Stuff is awful, but can't complain about that price. This should be on here.