Throwing in my two penneth...

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Throwing in my two penneth...

Post by GSG »

Right, seeing as everyone is wading in with their opinions about moderation on this board I thought I'd add mine too. I appreciate that it won't be shared by all and I'm not sure that the moderators here will necessarily appreciate me sticking my oar in to an increasingly lip-pursing debate. Damn it all though, I've had a dry, difficult although rewarding week and I come back to find all this nonsense. So with a G+T in hand, here goes...

Why is there such a problem with moderators? From what I can see they do a thankless job and do it very well. Their presence is only felt when necessary (e.g. when spam appears, when people are rude and objectionable etc.) and I've never felt that they are intrusive dictators in any way. They do it because they love this board and want it to continue well. Saying we don't need moderators is like saying we don't need bar staff in a real pub who have the authority to keep out the cunts and keep the usually pleasant in line when they push things too far. As for comparing them to some of the more fervent and excessive dictators this planet seems to throw up from time to time - do grow up. This is an internet message board, not the Killing Fields. If this isn't a democracy, then it is at least a benign dictatorship and is hardly ruled with an iron fist.

Next - choice of moderators. I don't know the exact procedure for selection but I'm fairly sure that agreement will probably come from the top. As has been said elsewhere, we have a good cross section of drunkkind in the job. If not these people (who are consistent, diligent and GOOD people) then who would you have and for what reasons? That's a fairly redundant and rhetorical question obviously because the choice has already been made, but examine the reasons for your dissent and present it quietly and with dignity rather than just deciding that you don't like it and voicing your opinion with rude hyperbole.

Lastly - NYDingbat. I don't know too much about you; you haven't to me seemed to be tremendously right wing and I'm a woolly-minded liberal of the embarrassingly worthiest order so I notice that sort of thing - perhaps I missed those particular posts? Either way, good luck to you and do us proud. To the rest of you - perhaps give her a chance to separate her alleged politics from her job of moderating?

To bring my rambling and possibly confusing/infuriating/laughable ramble to a close, I'd just like to put in a plea for some perspective and gratitude. We all love this board, and the moderators are a big part of it - you might just not see it. So thanks, like.

Cheers and beers to all.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Throwing in my two penneth...

Post by l... »

lets just get a kebab. :) I would love that, if I could afford to fly. :)
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

everyone likes to complain, but yes, probably should say thanks more often. Since when have you ever heard a bouncer applauded, mind?
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Mr. Viking wrote:everyone likes to complain, but yes, probably should say thanks more often. Since when have you ever heard a bouncer applauded, mind?
Then perhaps we could buck the trend, live a little closer to our aspiration to be gentlemen and gentlewomen drinkers and express our gratitude where it's due.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

WWDJFD?

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I don't know, everybody needs a hate figure
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Mr. Viking wrote:I don't know, everybody needs a hate figure
Yes and we have one - the anti-alcohol busybody folks. Let's not turn on each other. Solidarity, brothers and sisters!

WWDJFD?

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

solidarity ken

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:
Yes and we have one - the anti-alcohol busybody folks. Let's not turn on each other. Solidarity, brothers and sisters!
Wow, suddenly it all makes so much sense.
But still - a female moderator? Next thing the chicks are all gonna want to freaking drive and vote and walk less than three feet behind me.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
GinSoakedGirl wrote:
Wow, suddenly it all makes so much sense.
But still - a female moderator? Next thing the chicks are all gonna want to freaking drive and vote and walk less than three feet behind me.
Steady on, I wasn't calling for a collapse of civilised society.

WWDJFD?

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:Steady on, I wasn't calling for a collapse of civilised society.
dibs on Bushmills

Mother Goose
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mother Goose »

I think the chosen lot of mods are a good mix of all things drunkard. :) Of course, I may or may not be biased because I've been lucky enough to drink with all but a couple of 'em . . .

"DC is a toilet. And it needs a good flush." ~ Weatherman

Drunkard Chat bot sez: fiyah: i'm picturing wasabi oozing out of her parents, and im at a good pace if you have to do this cheap as fuck. but drunkards need to unite

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

FRANKENNIETZSCHE FOR ADMINISTRATOR!

AND SO SAY ALL OF US!
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Hail Bourbonia!
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Mother Goose wrote:...I've been lucky enough to drink with all but a couple of 'em . . .
Did we not drink together at Con 3? My memory fails me on most of that event.

If not, then we will drink together next year at the "10th Anniversary of Con.1 Con."
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:Right, seeing as everyone is wading in with their opinions about moderation on this board I thought I'd add mine too. I appreciate that it won't be shared by all and I'm not sure that the moderators here will necessarily appreciate me sticking my oar in to an increasingly lip-pursing debate. Damn it all though, I've had a dry, difficult although rewarding week and I come back to find all this nonsense. So with a G+T in hand, here goes...

Why is there such a problem with moderators? From what I can see they do a thankless job and do it very well. Their presence is only felt when necessary (e.g. when spam appears, when people are rude and objectionable etc.) and I've never felt that they are intrusive dictators in any way. They do it because they love this board and want it to continue well. Saying we don't need moderators is like saying we don't need bar staff in a real pub who have the authority to keep out the cunts and keep the usually pleasant in line when they push things too far. As for comparing them to some of the more fervent and excessive dictators this planet seems to throw up from time to time - do grow up. This is an internet message board, not the Killing Fields. If this isn't a democracy, then it is at least a benign dictatorship and is hardly ruled with an iron fist.

Next - choice of moderators. I don't know the exact procedure for selection but I'm fairly sure that agreement will probably come from the top. As has been said elsewhere, we have a good cross section of drunkkind in the job. If not these people (who are consistent, diligent and GOOD people) then who would you have and for what reasons? That's a fairly redundant and rhetorical question obviously because the choice has already been made, but examine the reasons for your dissent and present it quietly and with dignity rather than just deciding that you don't like it and voicing your opinion with rude hyperbole.

Lastly - NYDingbat. I don't know too much about you; you haven't to me seemed to be tremendously right wing and I'm a woolly-minded liberal of the embarrassingly worthiest order so I notice that sort of thing - perhaps I missed those particular posts? Either way, good luck to you and do us proud. To the rest of you - perhaps give her a chance to separate her alleged politics from her job of moderating?

To bring my rambling and possibly confusing/infuriating/laughable ramble to a close, I'd just like to put in a plea for some perspective and gratitude. We all love this board, and the moderators are a big part of it - you might just not see it. So thanks, like.

Cheers and beers to all.
You're being dangerously reasonable, I might have to ban you.
Well, if you just tell me who the girl on your av is, I'll turn that into a mere suspension for 99 months (maybe) and after that I'll return to polishing my Messerschmitt.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.