Booze News

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Booze News

Post by scream ale »

That's a little disturbing.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I`m at a loss of words. Fuck that aussie government
Drink!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:39 am
Lush City wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:55 am
Report: Locked Down Australians’ Alcohol Intake Monitored And Restricted By The State
I'm laughing at all those 'smart' Americans about 10yrs ago, who thought it would be better to live down under as an expat. Not feeling so smart now, are you? LMAO!
https://www.infowars.com/posts/report-l ... the-state/
Well, this should have happened much sooner. Availability of booze in a prison colony. It's not right!
at least they can still drink fosters and xxxx....I don't think that actually counts as beer.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

I read a brief from another source. It seems like it was a block of social housing undergoing lockdown. The alcohol is not being confiscated by the police but rather New South Wales Health. The police don't have the powers to confiscate the alcohol, and i'm sure NSW Health don't either.

I hope the residents get together and take NSW Health to court. Doing this is classist and discrimintory.
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:05 am
I read a brief from another source. It seems like it was a block of social housing undergoing lockdown. The alcohol is not being confiscated by the police but rather New South Wales Health. The police don't have the powers to confiscate the alcohol, and i'm sure NSW Health don't either.

I hope the residents get together and take NSW Health to court. Doing this is classist and discrimintory.
not to mention inhumane
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Why You Should Stop Drinking Beer: A Potent Estrogenic Substance
https://herculeanstrength.com/stop-drin ... substance/
Otherwise men will grow tits and require surgery.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

^^^ eeehhhh
is this some kind of test? Of course I liked her better with boobs
Drink!

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

For many years, BevMo! has been the best place in the world to buy booze. The prices are unbelievably low and the selection is second to none. They are famous for their "five cent sale", where every week, about 1/4 of their inventory is promoted as "buy one, get a second one for five cents."

In addition to the enormous spirits section, they have a huge inventory of beer and wine. Each store also stocks regional beer and wine which usually can't be found without going to the winery or brewery.

They also know their shit. The staff is knowledgeable beyond anything I've ever see. I once went in to find the ingredients for a Water Lilly but forgot my phone in the car and couldn't remember the stuff I needed. I mentioned it to one of the workers and they walked me around and pointed out everything I needed. The next time I went in, he asked "how'd those Water Lillys turn out?"

On Friday, I stopped in to stock up for the weekend and found that the Disneyland for drinkers has sold to a company called GoPuff. I'm not making this up. GoPuff is a Philadelphia-based chain which specializes in food and convenience store delivery. Sounds great, right? Nope. GoPuff is getting rid of about 1/3 of the booze inventory in the 20,000 square foot store to make room for "household goods and over-the-counter medication."

So, basically, the liquor mecca has turned into a god-damned convenience store. Gone are the five cent sales. Gone is the ability to find 20 kinds of bitters. Gone is the opportunity to pick up some weird bottle of Turkish brandy just because it looked cool and it was cheep. It is truly the end of an era.
DRINK!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

GoPuff can GoFuckThemselves. Seriously, this sounds like a business nightmare come true, and it’s definitely sad news for BevMo lovers.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Merchant Seaman »

Holy crapamoli!
What the fuck!!

First there is the Bev-Mo in Oakland at jack London Square, the old Howard Terminal had a gate that opened into their parking lot, we cold roll their shopping carts right to the gangway, once a week or so the longies would push them back to the gate and Bev-Mo would send a guy to pick them up.

Second, while I still lived in Seattle, I was conned by gopuff's add that their app could deliver booze within an hour, but that was a lie, and it was the most un-user friendly app I've ever seen, and that includes the VA.

So this is horrible news.

Crapamoli!!!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Buy one get one for five cents? That's insanity. In a great way.

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

scream ale wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:39 pm
Buy one get one for five cents? That's insanity. In a great way.
It's true. Here's a sample: https://www.bevmo.com/weekly-ad#!/?page=3

Edit: it WAS true.
DRINK!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

What a disgrace DB! A real liverpunch, their all you can drink specials will be missed
Drink!

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

That just tells everyone to go with the independent booze warehouses. They are privately owned and they don't put up with any corporate bs.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Why Liquor Shortages Caused By The COVID-19 Pandemic Persist In Some States

A fair warning for your next trip to the liquor store: Several states across the U.S. are still experiencing booze shortages related to COVID-19, and it's unclear when supply will be able to meet demand.

Early in the pandemic, it was common to find libations low in stock after some liquor stores briefly closed amid statewide lockdowns and skyrocketing consumer demand for alcohol.

But continued reports of shortages from Vermont to New Jersey to Ohio persist more than a year later, and some states are rationing their liquor supply amid ongoing supply chain issues.

The Pennsylvania state board in charge of consumer liquor sales announced last week that it was limiting customers to two bottles of certain alcoholic beverages per day. The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board said the purchase limit on select items — including Hennessy Cognac, Buffalo Trace bourbon and Patrón tequila — will be in place for the "foreseeable future."

Liquor store customers in North Carolina are encountering "out of stock" signs instead of their favorite spirits, local TV station WTVD reported, amid an ongoing supply shortage there, too.

"I don't think anybody saw the kind of demand that we're seeing right now — particularly in those high-end and super-premium products — coming," said David Ozgo, chief economist of the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States.

Why liquor is running low in many states
According to Ozgo and others, there are problems at nearly every step of the alcohol beverage supply chain.

Some producers are struggling to source glass bottles. The cost to import liquor from overseas has shot up because of price increases in international shipping. And actually delivering booze to bars, restaurants and other vendors has been hampered by a shortage of truck drivers.

"So all along the line, you almost have a compounding effect," Ozgo said, adding that some of these problems existed before the pandemic but grew worse over the past year.

Shawn Kelly, the spokesperson for the Pennsylvania liquor board, said some businesses are also having staffing issues.

But there is another big problem, one that occurs before any alcohol even touches the bottle.

Many liquors simply take a long time to make. Producers have to grow or buy the ingredients, distill the spirit, then let it age. That means producers must anticipate demand years in advance. They can't simply turn on the spigot when demand rises.

"You can't go back five years and retroactively plant more agave," Ozgo said of the plant used to make tequila. "It doesn't work that way."

The distiller Buffalo Trace, whose bourbon is currently limited to two bottles per day for customers in Pennsylvania, is undertaking a $1.2 billion expansion but says it will still be "a few years" before it can fully meet consumer demand.

"Buffalo Trace recognizes this is not the news its fans want to hear for the next few years but making great whiskey does take time and the Distillery is not prepared to cut quality corners to increase short term supply," the company said in a press release.

What it means for drinkers

The statewide policy change in Pennsylvania, which stems from the fact that its government controls the sale of spirits and operates all of the commonwealth's retail stores, affects millions of residents.

"[W]e believe the shortages are out of their control," Chuck Moran, executive director of the Pennsylvania Licensed Beverage and Tavern Association, said of the state board's decision.

The association represents small-business taverns and licensed restaurants. Moran says that while he understands there are supply chain issues, it's small businesses and customers who pay the price.

"Unfortunately, since taverns and licensed restaurants — as well as the general consumer who walks into a state liquor store — are at the tail end of the chain, it does have a negative impact."

In Virginia, another state where the government is in charge of alcohol sales, customers are only allowed to buy one bottle of certain liquors per day. Part of that is to make special edition booze available to more people, but state officials say it is also the result of skyrocketing demand during the pandemic.

Ozgo, with the Distilled Spirits Council, said that outside of so-called "control states," it would be up to individual liquor stores to determine whether to limit the sale of certain products.
Okole maluna!