So, any handypersons out there?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

So, any handypersons out there?

Post by Savage »

I just lost a fight with a shower stall. After fifteen years of living with the nasty shower doors on tracks, and the attendant mold and ick, I have had enough. I decided to remove the tracks and doors, sling up a rod and curtain, and voila, eh? Well, tonight, I removed a few screws, pried up some caulk, and then realized that the sleeping Grumpy would be using the shower at O Dark Three Thirty, so I stopped. But yes, that shower surround is going down tomorrow. (I do not care if we have to bathe in the backyard under the hose.) I have one screw that is so rusted and moldy that I cannot fit the Phillips into it. (I'm thinking vinegar would help?) Also, there is some kind of clear epoxy or whatever holding the frame onto the fiberglass. If I use my mallet to break it free, will I damage the structure?

Do any of you dear Drunkards have any experience with this sort of job?
like tears in rain

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: So, any handypersons out there?

Post by oettinger »

Savage wrote:I just lost a fight with a shower stall. After fifteen years of living with the nasty shower doors on tracks, and the attendant mold and ick, I have had enough. I decided to remove the tracks and doors, sling up a rod and curtain, and voila, eh? Well, tonight, I removed a few screws, pried up some caulk, and then realized that the sleeping Grumpy would be using the shower at O Dark Three Thirty, so I stopped. But yes, that shower surround is going down tomorrow. (I do not care if we have to bathe in the backyard under the hose.) I have one screw that is so rusted and moldy that I cannot fit the Phillips into it. (I'm thinking vinegar would help?) Also, there is some kind of clear epoxy or whatever holding the frame onto the fiberglass. If I use my mallet to break it free, will I damage the structure?

Try heating the epoxy with a hair-dryer. I don`t know if the usual stuff works, we use a thing generating up to 500 degrees celcius (if you dry your hair with that you turn into a real hot-head) for basically everything not named metal, wood or stone. But mostly everything "artificial" will atleast start to melt. Glue will at the very best turn into liquid or some form of used bubblegum. Give it a short try with your of the shelf dryer, it probably won`t work but that`s what I would try before starting to break stuff. BEWARE! Working OR NOT there might be some really stinky and poisonous fumes floating around. Cheers!
Drink!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

oettinger wrote:
Savage wrote:I just lost a fight with a shower stall. After fifteen years of living with the nasty shower doors on tracks, and the attendant mold and ick, I have had enough. I decided to remove the tracks and doors, sling up a rod and curtain, and voila, eh? Well, tonight, I removed a few screws, pried up some caulk, and then realized that the sleeping Grumpy would be using the shower at O Dark Three Thirty, so I stopped. But yes, that shower surround is going down tomorrow. (I do not care if we have to bathe in the backyard under the hose.) I have one screw that is so rusted and moldy that I cannot fit the Phillips into it. (I'm thinking vinegar would help?) Also, there is some kind of clear epoxy or whatever holding the frame onto the fiberglass. If I use my mallet to break it free, will I damage the structure?

Try heating the epoxy with a hair-dryer. I don`t know if the usual stuff works, we use a thing generating up to 500 degrees celcius (if you dry your hair with that you turn into a real hot-head) for basically everything not named metal, wood or stone. But mostly everything "artificial" will atleast start to melt. Glue will at the very best turn into liquid or some form of used bubblegum. Give it a short try with your of the shelf dryer, it probably won`t work but that`s what I would try before starting to break stuff. BEWARE! Working OR NOT there might be some really stinky and poisonous fumes floating around. Cheers!

Thanks! Grumpy has a heat gun,so that should work.
like tears in rain

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

if you've got a drill, use a metal bit and drill through the centre of the rusted screw so the head falls off
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

for the epoxy, I would be careful with heat as it could damage the fibreglass tray too. Are you sure it is epoxy? Usually it is gummy silicone which can be cut with a knife. If it is epoxy it will be difficult to remove from the tray as fibreglass is made using epoxy. Some sort of serated blade or abrasive cutting disk may be your only options. Usually when removing stuff I smash it with a hammer before trying to work out how to fix the mess left over
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

If it cannot be fixed with a hammer (or you have to be undrunk to do it), then it's probably not worth repairing. At least not by yourself. If it must be done, why not invite a "Handyperson", of Mr. Viking's ilk, and profer booze and food in exchange for the work.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Try dynamite.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

frankennietzsche wrote:Try dynamite.
It's easier to shape the charge with C4 (and judging by Dear Lady S.'s description of her home, the humidity may well cause the dynamite to sweat Nitro-Glycerine; which could be awkward).
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Fiberglass tub?

That surface is very thin. Easily scratched, or scarred, or scored.

Set everything back gently, and don't mess with it. Next person who uses it will have it all fall down. If anyone says anything, blame it on the Marine. That's what they deal with.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Well, the Marine dealt with it. He used a drill on one of the rusted out screws, and BRUTE FORCE on the other, razor knife on the remaining rubber cement-y stuff. We now have a shower that is easily cleaned, and will not poison us with mildew and mold. I purchased a lovely cloth shower curtain, which can be laundered every week with the towels. Now we have to figure out how to dispose of the shower tracks and doors. I'm all for tossing them over the back fence, into the yard of the trash who tie their dogs up 24/7 and ignore their yelps and cries of sadness and loneliness.
like tears in rain

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Oh, and dear Mr. P, I didn't use a hammer, because last time I attempted a home improvement, I used a pry bar to remove a shelf that offended me. Large holes. Fixed now, but still...
like tears in rain

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Savage wrote:...I didn't use a hammer, because last time I attempted a home improvement, I used a pry bar to remove a shelf that offended me. Large holes. Fixed now, but still...
Well so long as you didn't have to undrunk up, all's well that end's with a load of bourbon (and somebody else doing the actual work)!
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

if you make a big fire it will melt the glass and burn the aluminium frame away to nothing. Then you can toast marshmallows on it

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Mr. Viking wrote:if you make a big fire it will melt the glass and burn the aluminium frame away to nothing. Then you can toast marshmallows on it
TOXIC FUMES! TOXIC FUMES!

Wait, would that get me high?
like tears in rain

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Savage wrote:
Mr. Viking wrote:if you make a big fire it will melt the glass and burn the aluminium frame away to nothing. Then you can toast marshmallows on it
TOXIC FUMES! TOXIC FUMES!

Wait, would that get me high?

Hehehe

Nice cut of your jib. Yup