Your day in a nutshell. Share please.

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Your day in a nutshell. Share please.

Post by Merchant Seaman »

Passing Japan sailing northbound on my way to Long Beach

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

From time to time I get these settlement checks from people who have sued my employer in California. I never really look too close at what the suit was about, it's usually some technicality involved with how they report/pay overtime. The settlement is usually in the millions of dollars, and after the dust clears my share of it is something like $15.

This morning another envelope arrived with a return address of MARTINEZ VS. FRITO LAY INC ET AL. What do I find inside? A check for $2000.

Damb.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:21 pm
From time to time I get these settlement checks from people who have sued my employer in California. I never really look too close at what the suit was about, it's usually some technicality involved with how they report/pay overtime. The settlement is usually in the millions of dollars, and after the dust clears my share of it is something like $15.

This morning another envelope arrived with a return address of MARTINEZ VS. FRITO LAY INC ET AL. What do I find inside? A check for $2000.

Damb.
The benefits of working in a biohazard loading facility

Spend it wisely
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Remember that time you borrowed $1595 from me? I almost do.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Nice day at work. Steady volume, which means more in tips. I don't see why people tip liquor store employees, but I'm not complaining.

When I went to pick up the whiskey of the evening (Swedish single malt), the clerk, who I know is a wine sommelier, told me that they got some Indian "scotches" in. Come on, man. You're better than that.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

More out of boredom than curiosity, I paid a visit yesterday evening to the "protest zone" around the police station in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota. Last week an officer accidentally pulled her sidearm instead of her taser (whoops!) and killed a 20 year old in a traffic stop.

I didn’t go to protest. It seemed more reasonable to bring a bottle of good, navy strength rum and a half dozen joints to smoke. That was around 8:00pm while things were still calm. Shared the rum as much as I could to raise morale, and I’m hoping that the weed cloud raised encouraged cooler heads to prevail. I offered to smoke up a cameraman with CNN but he just gave me a condescending look. No worries.

Left at 9:00pm before the traditional tear gassing and mass arrests started. In hindsight, I should have brought a beer keg and a gas mask.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Saturday (Friday for you folks)

Up at 0400 o maneuver into Naha Okinawa, 0830, Finished with engines, now the real work begins, changed out the fuel pump number 1 cylinder, opened the manholes on both main engine turbo chargers, so that the wiper can clean the intercoolers.

Work through breakfast, grab a sandwich and work through lunch.

Fuel pump done at 1530, wiper done with intercoolers at 1600, seal up the turbo chargers and prep the plant for departure, work through dinner.

Standby by 1710, last line 1732, departure 1834, plant stable for a slow steam to Ningbo China 1930(ish) fuel change over from MGO to Bunker oil complete 2020.

Head to my stateroom and hit the rain locker.

Listen to the sound track to victory at sea while enjoying a large Jamisons

Sunday,

Up at 0600, make a round of the plant, breakfast 0700-0730, 0800 another round of the plant, recorded numbers, pumped tanks, began prepping for Ningbo, and the fact that we will discharge sludge there

Plan to anchor at 1700, then shift to the dock at 0800 Monday.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:44 pm

Up at 0400 o maneuver into Naha Okinawa, 0830, Finished with engines, now the real work begins, changed out the fuel pump number 1 cylinder, opened the manholes on both main engine turbo chargers, so that the wiper can clean the intercoolers.

Work through breakfast, grab a sandwich and work through lunch.

Fuel pump done at 1530, wiper done with intercoolers at 1600, seal up the turbo chargers and prep the plant for departure, work through dinner.

Standby by 1710, last line 1732, departure 1834, plant stable for a slow steam to Ningbo China 1930(ish) fuel change over from MGO to Bunker oil complete 2020.

Listen to the sound track to victory at sea while enjoying a large Jamisons

Sunday,

Up at 0600, make a round of the plant, breakfast 0700-0730, 0800 another round of the plant, recorded numbers, pumped tanks, began prepping for Ningbo, and the fact that we will discharge sludge there

Plan to anchor at 1700, then shift to the dock at 0800 Monday.
Do those ships have jobs for radar technicians?

Where do merchant mariners go to drink when they are in San Diego, California?

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Do these ships have jobs for radar techs?

No, the electrician does some of that, of a factory rep

Where do merchant mariners drink in San Diego?

Not sure, in most cities there is not not a big enough concentration of merchant mariners to really have a hang out, once a crew member pays off, the tend to head to where ever home is.

But if you're in Oakland Ca. try Merchant's Saloon on 2nd street

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:34 pm
Do these ships have jobs for radar techs?

No, the electrician does some of that, of a factory rep

Where do merchant mariners drink in San Diego?

Not sure, in most cities there is not not a big enough concentration of merchant mariners to really have a hang out, once a crew member pays off, the tend to head to where ever home is.

But if you're in Oakland Ca. try Merchant's Saloon on 2nd street
What about a job washing dishes or doing laundry? Some kind of ancillary job. Do they want anybody like that?

Jack Kerouac was in the merchant marine. Right after he got out, the ship he was on got torpedoed by a German U boat.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I woke up shortly after 2pm, when Grumps came in to see if I had died yet. Incredibly boring day. Family drama. Still no appetite--I just do not want to eat. Last time this happened ended badly. F--- this covid lockdown crap. If I could see my out in town crapdoctor, maybe Tricare would refer me back to the base. Today I have to have my eyes tested. That's another prob I have--can't see out of about 1/4 of my right eye. My glasses are maybe 10 years old, my sunglasses perhaps 15?
like tears in rain

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

What about a job washing dishes or doing laundry? Some kind of ancillary job. Do they want anybody like that?

At most of the companies I work for that particular job (washing dishes) would fall to the assistant cook, which is Seafarers International Union (SIU)
other entry level jobs would be Wiper (engine department) and Ordinary Seafarer (Deck) Most shipping companies have contracts with various unions which dispatch the jobs from their halls, though there are some non-union jobs.

If you're interested in shipping let me know, I can give you d'skinny, but be aware, it is not cheap to get into this industry, figure on 2-5K to get your papers, and that's no guarantee of a job, but if you persist you'll likely work

Jack Kerouac was in the merchant marine. Right after he got out, the ship he was on got torpedoed by a German U boat.

You can't really be "in" the merchant marine, as the term merchant marine refers to an industry, like saying the airline industry.
Kerouac was dispatched to a ship, but refused to sign on, so he was fired and returned to the hall, it is not known if he was on any other ship during WW2, it is likely he did sign on a ship in NOLA after the war, and sailed to Long Beach Ca.

The singer Woody Guthrie was a merchant mariner during WW2, the book Woody, Cisco and Me by Jim Longhi is a pretty good account of his sailing days.

Also the book The Greatest Beer Run Ever by Chick Donohue is about a merchant mariner.

I strongly recommend both books

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:44 pm

What is a rain locker?

Do you have to share your stateroom?

Thanks for these insights, sounds like a fun job but also tiring.

Oh yeah, do you always have to calculate how much booze to bring for each trip so you don`t run dry?
Drink!

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

What is a rain locker?

Slang for a shower

Do you have to share your stateroom?

Nope, nor my head or rain locker

Thanks for these insights, sounds like a fun job but also tiring.

Oh yeah, do you always have to calculate how much booze to bring for each trip so you don`t run dry?

Yes, but you can replenish
Some companies, like APL sell beer ,and wine in the slop chest, some like, Matson, let you put in an order to be delivered, some like, Maersk ban booze aboard, though it is not always strictly enforced.

Also in many places they will trade beer for your sludge oil, since the ship burns heavy fuel oil (bunker oil) they can mix it with gravel and use it for asphalt to pave their roads.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I beat AD`s ass in any game we played this weekend. Darts, battleship, skipbo, armwrestling, you name it. It must be my lucky weekend. What else should I defeat her in?
Drink!