COVID-19: The good, bad, & the ugly share here:

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Was 2020 really that bad?

Post by benitobeast69 »

yeah I mean I got to work from home...that gave me back about 4 hours per work day and also around £2-3K in travel costs.

I've enjoyed spending time at home as well...my prices are reasonable, you can smoke inside, the jukebox is free, I never get kicked out and there is no last call.....

to be fair as well props to you guys as well, spent plenty of the year drunk on the boards and on the skype chat and has been fun as fuck.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: COVID-19: The good, bad, & the ugly share here:

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Ok so it's been over a year since the shit hit the fan. I'm pretty even keel and have rolled with the punches. We have abided by mask mandates and social distancing for almost a year now. Perhaps there have been fewer cases because of this, but other than that nothing has changed. Our town is like a ghost town. How are people surviving? Government assistance? Unemployment? It's frustrating. It seems like no matter the precautions that have been taken, things have only gotten worse. Germany is constantly being harassed by threats of lock down. Since when haven't we been in some sort of lock down? I don't even have a problem with it if it seemed to actually be doing some good. Again - maybe it has prevented an increase in more cases but cases are still on the rise despite all the precautions taken.

The worst part is, there isn't even any rhyme or reason to the lock downs. At first, nothing was open except grocery stores. Borders were closed. No retail and restaurants open etc. So we can't spread out safely in the huge home improvement stores and garden centers, but we can pack like sardines in the grocery stores? That makes total sense!

Now it's "partial" lock down. The home improvement stores reopened for spring - but only the garden center part, not the rest of the store. As oett said, so now everyone piles into the garden section all crammed together in one corner of the building instead of social distancing throughout the entire store? Where is the logic in this mentality? Who is responsible for this nonsense?

If this is going to go on forever, there needs to be a better way. I won't even get into the vaccines as that is still too new and I don't know enough about it (and aren't people still getting covid despite the vaccine?). Beings how I'm not Dr. Fauci, it's not my place to go there.

Everything just needs to reopen, period. Just limit the occupancy numbers in establishments and keep up the distancing etc. Otherwise when will it end? What more can we possibly do?
Okole maluna!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Putting our governments on lockdown should help tremendiously
Drink!

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Merchant Seaman »

GOOD

My city (Seattle) allowed drinks to go, and it is fun to stop in, grab a drink and just walk
A friend managed to buy a bar, The George and Dragon in Seattle, stop in if you're out that way, tell Dan a Merchant Mariner sent you
More drinking at home
Booze deliveries
More people have discovered the sublime joy of drinking at work

Bad

Another friend had just opened a joint, he got by, but barely
Other bars have suffered
I miss bars. just sitting and drinking, yes I can drink at home, but bars are special, and I miss them
liquor selections at my local stores got real hin

Ugly

Bar tenders, and bar staff have really suffered, some of the best have left the industry
Bars have closed
A couple of nice joints have closed, only to be replaced by fern-hipster-yuppie-feather in your ass type joints
While at work unable to leave ship, so no overseas bars*

For those who don't know, nearly every port in the world has an "Irish" bar, the one at Orchard Towers in Singapore (4 floors of whores) serves Tiger Beer and Mekong "Scotch"

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Was 2020 really that bad?

Post by Artful Drunktective »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:12 pm
yeah I mean I got to work from home...that gave me back about 4 hours per work day and also around £2-3K in travel costs.

I've enjoyed spending time at home as well...my prices are reasonable, you can smoke inside, the jukebox is free, I never get kicked out and there is no last call.....

to be fair as well props to you guys as well, spent plenty of the year drunk on the boards and on the skype chat and has been fun as fuck.
Merchant Seaman wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:06 pm
GOOD

My city (Seattle) allowed drinks to go, and it is fun to stop in, grab a drink and just walk
A friend managed to buy a bar, The George and Dragon in Seattle, stop in if you're out that way, tell Dan a Merchant Mariner sent you
More drinking at home
Booze deliveries
More people have discovered the sublime joy of drinking at work
Yeah for me personally, it has hardly affected me and overall has been good.

*I like standing / staying far away from people.

*Masks hide my alcohol breath. And I don't have to put on make-up.

*We never really went out to bars or anything so no loss there. We always do food delivery anyway so no loss there either.

*We aren't big into public socializing so now we don't have to visit people and family that we don't even want to visit. Brother has a fairly newborn baby and we aren't allowed to visit because they don't want our potential corona germs to "compromise" their offspring. Fine by us. We don't want to visit children either. It cuts into our drinking time.

*Daytime pajamas and sweatpants as acceptable daily attire is something I am totally down with.

The only annoyances that affect us are mild inconveniences like not being able to run into a hardware store and other minimal shopping due to lock down.

I do feel bad for those who it does affect though, hence why things just have to go back to some sort of normalcy. Normalcy but with precautions.
Okole maluna!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Vaccine stuff

Post by Savage »

Does anyone here know if heavy imbibing is bad before the shots? I was off booze for reasons during the first round, but now my second shot is Thursday. I want to be responsible and all that, and if my reaction after the first shot is any guideline, I will sleep Thursday and Friday away.
like tears in rain

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: Vaccine stuff

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

The general advice in the UK and elsewhere seems to be to avoid alcohol up to the shot, and after. UK advice seems to be 2/3 days before and after.

Interestingly the Russians are advising that people stop drinking at least a month before the vaccination. Wonder if that's why the takeup of Sputnik V is so low.

Aparently alcohol doesn't impact the efficacy of the vaccination, it just can worsen some of the symptoms.
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: Vaccine stuff

Post by Dear Booze »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:58 am
The general advice in the UK and elsewhere seems to be to avoid alcohol up to the shot, and after. UK advice seems to be 2/3 days before and after.

Interestingly the Russians are advising that people stop drinking at least a month before the vaccination. Wonder if that's why the takeup of Sputnik V is so low.

Aparently alcohol doesn't impact the efficacy of the vaccination, it just can worsen some of the symptoms.
Savage wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:27 am
Does anyone here know if heavy imbibing is bad before the shots? I was off booze for reasons during the first round, but now my second shot is Thursday. I want to be responsible and all that, and if my reaction after the first shot is any guideline, I will sleep Thursday and Friday away.
The effects which follow the vaccination feel similar to a hangover. I believe the advice to avoid alcohol is for drys and novice imbibers. You can certainly handle it and will know exactly what to do; it will simply feel like Sunday.
DRINK!

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

The verbal abuse is the worst. Didn't even do it yet\ and I'm a sheeple
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

whiskeyprick wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:56 pm
Fuck what other people say. I don't judge anyone who's against getting poked, nor do I care about anyone that does get it. It's a personal choice. Other people's choices are theirs, not mine. It's like me giving a shit if they listen to ABBA or not.
DRINK!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Dear Booze wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:19 pm
whiskeyprick wrote:
Fuck what other people say. I don't judge anyone who's against getting poked, nor do I care about anyone that does get it. It's a personal choice. Other people's choices are theirs, not mine. It's like me giving a shit if they listen to ABBA or not.
Well ABBA does suck giant, slimey donkey balls.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Patchez wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:17 pm
Dear Booze wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:19 pm
whiskeyprick wrote:
Well ABBA does suck giant, slimey donkey balls.
I don't give a fuck about your opinion. Furthermore, I don't remember asking you a god damned thing.
DRINK!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Set my appointment for Tuesday. Opted for the Janssen shot - yes the one that gives people blood clots and kills them.

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Hugh wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:30 pm
Set my appointment for Tuesday. Opted for the Janssen shot - yes the one that gives people blood clots and kills them.
Congratulations on a sound vaccine selection. I heard it pairs well with Miller Genuine Draft and Early Times.
DRINK!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Dear Booze wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:46 pm
Hugh wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:30 pm
Congratulations on a sound vaccine selection. I heard it pairs well with Miller Genuine Draft and Early Times.
Well, fuck. I been drinking Bud and Kessler.

Blood clot city here I come!